News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Signs never seen before (Life Edition)

Started by Tonytone, April 16, 2019, 07:53:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonytone

So im on Vacation in Florida & I notice these signs in Las Olas. Those of you know I live in Delaware now, But i am originally from Florida. I did not put this topic in the Florida thread because it can be used to put other signs or road items you've never seen before.

There are two signs that were different, the first one was a regular "pedestrian crossing"  sign but it had something on that should be in more cities due to the bigger alcohol presence in cities & tourists attractions

The 2nd is a speed monitor sign & it shows a smiley face when you do the speed limit. It is the most interesting & happy thing I've ever seen used on a road

iPhone
Promoting Cities since 1998!

Big John

^^ As happy as an old Kentucky license plate?

Tonytone

Quote from: Big John on April 16, 2019, 10:07:22 PM

Now that is a happy license plate..... unlike the state. 

iPhone

kphoger

Quote from: Tonytone on April 16, 2019, 10:12:34 PM

Kentucky

happy ... unlike the state. 

FWIW, Kentucky ranks #44 out of the 50 states according to a recent study on happiness.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

I think the pedestrian sign was modified to have the cocktail glass by someone other than the DOT.

I'm guessing that the smiley face is intended to remove the tendency of some drivers to want to see how high they can get the number on the screen.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

webny99

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 17, 2019, 12:47:17 PM
I'm guessing that the smiley face is intended to remove the tendency of some drivers to want to see how high they can get the number on the screen.

In my experience, it is much more common for drivers to see how low they can get the number. Maybe they are curious to see if it does fractions or decimals once you fall below 10 mph.

hotdogPi

Quote from: webny99 on April 17, 2019, 02:17:01 PM

In my experience, it is much more common for drivers to see how low they can get the number. Maybe they are curious to see if it does fractions or decimals once you fall below 10 mph.

I was standing near one watching cars go by, waiting for the bus. The limit was 30, which almost nobody exceeded due to heavy traffic. If a car was going under 20, it wouldn't show anything at all, probably so that it won't display the speed of things other than cars, such as someone running on the side of the road.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

PurdueBill

We have a speed sign like that near work that does the smiley face and also reads SLOW DOWN with the number for speeds above a cutoff.  Looks slightly different but appears to be the same product.

Tonytone

Quote from: kphoger on April 17, 2019, 10:48:50 AM
Quote from: Tonytone on April 16, 2019, 10:12:34 PM

Kentucky

happy ... unlike the state. 

FWIW, Kentucky ranks #44 out of the 50 states according to a recent study on happiness.
Thats pretty low isn't it?

iPhone

Tonytone

I think the pedestrian sign was modified to have the cocktail glass by someone other than the DOT.

There were two of these signs the other one was at the other side of the cross walk with the same Cocktail glass & in person the Cocktail glass matches the sign & Dot Color. I believe FLDOT made these unique signs.

That could be a reason, most people ignore the signs anyway. I think the smiley face is a reward for driving safe.

iPhone

frankenroad

These license plates were very unpopular throughout Kentucky.   That short-lived era (less than 3 years) saw a huge increase in the use of specialty plates to avoid having them.
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

kphoger

Quote from: Tonytone on April 18, 2019, 12:28:10 PM

Figured that out, did ya?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Tonytone

Quote from: kphoger on April 18, 2019, 02:02:01 PM
Quote from: Tonytone on April 18, 2019, 12:28:10 PM

Figured that out, did ya?
Im not your friend, buddy!

iPhone

SectorZ

Quote from: webny99 on April 17, 2019, 02:17:01 PM

Some of them in Massachusetts "thank you for driving safely" if you're below the limit. Also real 'safe' when it thanks me doing 15 in a 40 zone on a bicycle, as if that speed in a car for that road was be safe.

mgk920

Until just a very few short years ago, I had never before seen an 'I-41' sign in the wild.

:wow:

<DUCKS! and RUNS!>

Mike

wxfree

Yesterday I saw this assembly.  I'm familiar with the practice of putting block numbers on street signs, but this is the first time I've seen address ranges in each direction pointed out.  This is on a county road in a fairly rural area.  It's useful information.  I would assume this is common, but around here, on rural roads the blocks are defined by distance rather than intersections.  Likewise the address numbers assigned aren't consecutive, but are based on the distance between the houses.  That way if the area starts to fill in there are numbers available to use.

I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

oscar

Quote from: Tonytone on April 16, 2019, 07:53:05 PM
There are two signs that were different, the first one was a regular "pedestrian crossing"  sign but it had something on that should be in more cities due to the bigger alcohol presence in cities & tourists attractions

While I was an undergraduate in the SF Bay Area (roadgeek hint: only university campus crossed by an Interstate freeway), I saw a similar modified pedestrian sign. There, black electrical tape was used to add a hat on the pedestrian, a briefcase in one hand, and a gun in the other.

Long gone, alas, and I didn't even have a camera when I was there more than four decades ago.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

US 89

Quote from: oscar on April 20, 2019, 05:48:26 PM
(roadgeek hint: only university campus crossed by an Interstate freeway)

Not the only one. Georgia Tech in Atlanta is crossed by I-75/85.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.