News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Christmas music on the radio

Started by roadman, November 30, 2018, 01:36:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wxfree

Any Christmas music I like is in my main playlist.  Good music is good all year.  I don't like it being concentrated in a confined period just because that's supposedly the "correct" time to enjoy it.  I never listen to the radio except when in a place where I don't have a choice.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

allniter89

Our Lowes was playing Christmas music the 1st week of Nov, waaay too early IMO.
Mom must have the tree up the day b4 Thanksgiving, it's artificial so it's not a problem, then it stays up til the 1st week of Jan. I put ours up sometime b4 1 Dec, it's also artificial & it comes down sometime b4 1 Jan.
Is y'alls tree real or artificial?
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

kurumi

Rush fans, you might not be aware that Rush has a Christmas song! It's off Caress of Steel I believe. (Or Farewell to the King of Kings)

By-Tor the Snow Dog
Was a very happy pup
And his old man in Saskatchewan
Would let you know what's up

By-Tor the Snow Dog
Liked to bury bones in ice
Now sit right here and drink this beer
And I'll give you some advice

Paul Bunyan threw a frisbee
Across the frozen lake
Then By-Tor laced his hockey skates
And you know this story's fake

By-Tor the Snow Dog
Laying down on Neil Peart's rug
Smoking cigarettes with Boba Fett
And reading Atlas Shrugged
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

kevinb1994

Quote from: kurumi on December 11, 2018, 01:59:39 AM
Rush fans, you might not be aware that Rush has a Christmas song! It's off Caress of Steel I believe. (Or Farewell to the King of Kings)

By-Tor the Snow Dog
Was a very happy pup

By-Tor the Snow Dog

Across the frozen lake

By-Tor the Snow Dog

I don't know exactly what you're referring to, but By-Tor and the Snow Dog is on the second RUSH studio album Fly By Night (early 1975), the first one with Neil Peart on drums/percussion and of course lyrics.

TheHighwayMan3561

Since Rush came into the discussion, Jon Anderson and Chris Squire of Yes each had a solo Christmas album release. Anderson's 3 Ships is proggier, done during the awkward 80s-Yes period where he and Yes kind of struggled to figure out whether they wanted to be full-on pop or bend back toward their earlier styles. Squire's Swiss Choir was done in the mid-2000s, a much more "traditional" music approach, unfortunately being his final solo album release. I usually put these two albums on on Christmas Day, the only two Christmas albums I specifically listen to.

I did discover today Wesley Willis has a Christmas song, which with Rock and Roll McDonald's are probably his only two songs safe for work/radio. :D
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

kevinb1994

Quote from: allniter89 on December 11, 2018, 12:49:18 AM
Mom must have the tree up the day b4 Thanksgiving, it's artificial so it's not a problem, then it stays up til the 1st week of Jan. I put ours up sometime b4 1 Dec, it's also artificial & it comes down sometime b4 1 Jan.

We have had a fake Christmas tree for some time now. Much easier than maintaining a live Christmas tree.

english si

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on December 11, 2018, 03:07:58 AMJon Anderson and Chris Squire of Yes each had a solo Christmas album release.
Where's Rick?*

My parents next Monday are going to Rick Wakeman playing Christmas songs. Though if my Mum reckons she can tolerate it, it clearly won't be prog-style.

*This was shouted at the last Yes concert my Dad went to when they introduced the band, to general laughs. A couple of weeks later he went to a "Yes Featuring Jon Anderson, Trevor Rabin, Rick Wakeman" concert and the same guy shouted it again just before they introduced him and there was a splattering of laughter from the few with the time and money to see two different line ups of Yes in the same month.

roadman65

I like though hearing songs that are from those long gone like Bing Crosby.  Hey Bing did duets with many others including the Little Drummer Boy with the now late David Bowie (an unlikely combo at the time, but two different eras coming together).

However I like Meli Kalikamaka with the Andrew Sisters.  That is the Hawaiian Christmas song that was later covered by Jimmy Buffet.

That is the only time you hear from Dean Martin or stars of old including Andy Williams and even Carpenters (though some very light rock do play songs like Close To Me or Rainy Day and Mondays, but still who goes to those AM stations) as normal you do not hear about them the rest of the year.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

abefroman329

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on December 11, 2018, 12:08:00 AM
I can't remember the last time I ever saw a group of people go caroling. I kinda thought that was an old-timey tradition that no one does anymore.
Bougie white people love caroling. Some friends of mine in DC were in seventh heaven when they bought a house and learned it was in a neighborhood sufficiently bougie and white that they got carolers at Christmastime.

abefroman329

Quote from: kevinb1994 on December 11, 2018, 03:10:41 AM
Quote from: allniter89 on December 11, 2018, 12:49:18 AM

We have had a fake Christmas tree for some time now. Much easier than maintaining a live Christmas tree.
We got a real one our first year we had room for a tree. The dog ate the pine needles and got pancreatitis. So we had to get a fake one. Personally I'd prefer a real one.

hbelkins

By-Tor the Snow Dog
Was a very happy pup

By-Tor the Snow Dog

Across the frozen lake

By-Tor the Snow Dog

This is genius.

However, given that Peart is very openly atheist, and Lee's Jewish, I highly doubt the power trio from Toronto celebrates Christmas at Lakeside Park or anywhere else, for that matter.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

hotdogPi

Quote from: hbelkins on December 11, 2018, 11:58:58 AM

However, given that Peart is very openly atheist, and Lee's Jewish, I highly doubt the power trio from Toronto celebrates Christmas at Lakeside Park or anywhere else, for that matter.

Many people celebrate Christmas non-religiously. I'm one of them.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

abefroman329

Quote from: 1 on December 11, 2018, 12:17:39 PM

Many people celebrate Christmas non-religiously. I'm one of them.
Me too, I have a Jewish father and a Catholic mother and the holiday morphed into a non-religious one after a few years of trying to observe Christmas and Hanukkah religiously.

Also, from what I understand (and I'm sure english si will correct me), Christmas is celebrated non-religiously by most Britons.

abefroman329

Also, Christmas is probably the most libertarian/Randian major holiday.

inkyatari

Quote from: abefroman329 on December 11, 2018, 12:57:04 PM

As a libertarian, I don't quite follow.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

abefroman329

Quote from: inkyatari on December 11, 2018, 01:56:52 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on December 11, 2018, 12:57:04 PM

As a libertarian, I don't quite follow.
Rampant consumerism, any acts of charity are 100% voluntary.

Henry

Somewhere out there, Dean Martin is turning in his grave over this article:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opinion/drinking-smoking-carousing-why-baby-its-cold-outside-is-actually-a-feminist-anthem/ar-BBQNJtp?ocid=spartanntp

In light of the #MeToo movement, it's no wonder the only time you'll get to hear that song played is on Pandora. I feel sorry for Rod Stewart & Dolly Parton (whose cover ranks closest to Martin's standard), Michael Buble & Idina Menzel and a few others.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

abefroman329

Quote from: Henry on December 11, 2018, 02:36:01 PM
Somewhere out there, Dean Martin is turning in his grave over this article:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opinion/drinking-smoking-carousing-why-baby-it's-cold-outside-is-actually-a-feminist-anthem/ar-BBQNJtp?ocid=spartanntp

In light of the #MeToo movement, it's no wonder the only time you'll get to hear that song played is on Pandora. I feel sorry for Rod Stewart & Dolly Parton (whose cover ranks closest to Martin's standard), Michael Buble & Idina Menzel and a few others.
The Buble/Menzel cover is my least favorite, sounds like it was recorded for a Target commercial.  I remember David Johansen (possibly in character as Buster Poindexter) performing it on SNL in the 80s, though I don't remember who the other half of the duet was.

kphoger

I can't remember the last time I ever saw a group of people go caroling. I kinda thought that was an old-timey tradition that no one does anymore.

Same here, but I miss doing it.  I fully intend to get a group from our church to go caroling for shut-ins and at the nursing homes and hospitals.  We'll see if I remember in time to actually get it going or not.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

abefroman329

Quote from: kphoger on December 11, 2018, 03:06:58 PM

Same here, but I miss doing it.  I fully intend to get a group from our church to go caroling for shut-ins and at the nursing homes and hospitals.  We'll see if I remember in time to actually get it going or not.
Just promise me you won't all sing in unison.

kphoger

Quote from: abefroman329 on December 11, 2018, 03:08:34 PM

*groan*   Oh man, I've thought of that, and I hear ya.  It shouldn't take too much work for me to produce a booklet of Christmas carols with four-part harmony written in.  That doesn't mean people will actually sing harmony, but it sure increases the likelihood.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

abefroman329

Quote from: kphoger on December 11, 2018, 03:11:01 PM

*groan*   Oh man, I've thought of that, and I hear ya.  It shouldn't take too much work for me to produce a booklet of Christmas carols with four-part harmony written in.  That doesn't mean people will actually sing harmony, but it sure increases the likelihood.
You should find a Lutheran church, Garrison Keillor says Lutherans take to four-part harmony like ducks to water.

Assuming you're not already a Lutheran.

kphoger

Quote from: abefroman329 on December 11, 2018, 03:33:13 PM
Quote from: kphoger on December 11, 2018, 03:11:01 PM

You should find a Lutheran church, Garrison Keillor says Lutherans take to four-part harmony like ducks to water.

Assuming you're not already a Lutheran.

Not currently, but I am the son of a Lutheran pastor.
Male pronouns, please.

kevinb1994

By-Tor the Snow Dog
Was a very happy pup

By-Tor the Snow Dog

Across the frozen lake

By-Tor the Snow Dog

This is genius.

Don't forget that Lifeson is also atheist/agnostic.

english si

Quote from: abefroman329 on December 11, 2018, 12:52:58 PMAlso, from what I understand (and I'm sure english si will correct me), Christmas is celebrated non-religiously by most Britons.
I think 'most' might be a bit bold, but it's probably around that 50-50 mark.

I'd suggest that Christmas is the time when the 59.5% figure for the Christian population of the UK isn't a total misrepresentation - it's still a bit of an inflation (fed by it being seen as the default, rather than 'none', by older generations), but its not far off if you count a low bar of religious affiliation. But only for a short period at Christmas.

Certainly religious carols often feature regardless of religious views. It's relatively common for there to be a trip to church for a carol service (usually candlelight, unlikely to be in a modern church) to sing them (in my student days, we had to turn people away from the 8:30pm one as we already had a dangerously high number of standees, having mostly filled a 4pm, and fully filled a 5:30pm and 7pm ones before that - I spend one year as an underling fire marshal sat under the tree for three services. The church sat a good few hundred a go, most of the congregation were students and at least 75-80% of them didn't bother with Christian stuff the rest of the year).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.