News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

New VA welcome sign

Started by SteveG1988, April 20, 2015, 09:20:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveG1988

Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Mapmikey

These have started appearing...

Seen one on I-495 Outer Loop and also I-85...

Mapmikey

Halian

Quote from: Mapmikey on April 20, 2015, 09:25:03 AMMapmikey

This sort of thing infuriates me. Not only do you have a signature that is appended to every post you make, the same treatment is given to your username. >:|
HalDOT, featuring my Hoennverse and Safir Alliance worldbuilding projects

Mapmikey

Quote from: Carl Miller on April 20, 2015, 09:30:32 AM

This sort of thing infuriates me. Not only do you have a signature that is appended to every post you make, the same treatment is given to your username. >:|

?

I intentionally type 'mapmikey' at the end of nearly all my posts.  But not this one...

cpzilliacus

A friendly suggestion - get over it

Mapmikey is a valued member of this forum, especially for his extensive knowledge of the highway network of Virginia.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Mapmikey on April 20, 2015, 09:25:03 AM
These have started appearing...

Seen one on I-495 Outer Loop and also I-85...

Mapmikey

I do not like them, even though they are supposed to "look new."

Much prefer the "traditional" cardinal in a dogwood tree on a blue background.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

oscar

Quote from: cpzilliacus on April 20, 2015, 03:02:01 PM

Here's a dissenting view from a bird lover who thinks cardinals are waaaay overdone among the state birds (he much prefers warblers and raptors). The traditional Virginia welcome sign at the American Legion bridge is what set off his rant.

I don't mind the new welcome signs, though the "Virginia is for Lovers" slogan is being re-flogged to death, and I wouldn't be surprised if people tire of it and the next Governor changes the welcome signs again.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Zeffy

Carl, please be a bit more mindful of comments towards others. Mapmikey's posting style is in full tolerance to the forum rules, so he's doing nothing wrong. Thanks!

Quote from: cpzilliacus on April 20, 2015, 03:02:01 PM

Agreed, I've seen pictures of the new Virginia welcome signs and I flat out don't like them.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

The Nature Boy

Count me as another vote for the cardinal welcome sign. These are pretty terrible looking.

Takumi

I don't like it. I didn't like it when they added the slogan to the standard issue license plate a couple years ago either.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Mapmikey

Quote from: cpzilliacus on April 20, 2015, 03:00:18 PM

A friendly suggestion - get over it

Mapmikey is a valued member of this forum, especially for his extensive knowledge of the highway network of Virginia.

Appreciate the defense... I don't know what the hubbub is about.  Most people sign their name at the ends of e-mails even though many times it is clear by the sender e-mail address who it is from...

Halian

Quote from: cpzilliacus on April 20, 2015, 03:00:18 PMA friendly suggestion - get over it.

Quote from: Zeffy on April 20, 2015, 03:44:47 PMCarl, please be a bit more mindful of comments towards others. Mapmikey's posting style is in full tolerance to the forum rules, so he's doing nothing wrong. Thanks!

:angry:
HalDOT, featuring my Hoennverse and Safir Alliance worldbuilding projects

1995hoo

I don't like either the signs or the slogan. The slogan has been around for years and I've never liked it, though if I had been a bit older during the 1970s I would have appreciated the humor value of Virginia using that slogan right as Maryland was using "Maryland Is for Crabs."
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

SignGeek101

Am I the only one that thinks of gay marriage when I saw that? I know it sounds silly (and maybe immature) to think of that but that's what I seriously thought the governor was trying to promote for his state.

I don't really like it. Virginia can be known for other things than "being for lovers".

Mapmikey

Here is the origin of the phrase (from http://www.virginia.org/virginiaisforlovers/):

The phrase came from a creative team headed by George Woltz of Martin & Woltz Inc., the Richmond advertising agency that won the Virginia State Travel Service account in 1968. According to Martin, a $100-a-week copywriter named Robin McLaughlin came up with an advertising concept that read, "Virginia is for history lovers." For a beach-oriented ad, the headline would have read, "Virginia is for beach lovers"; for a mountains ad, "Virginia is for mountain lovers," and so on. Martin thought the approach might be too limiting. Woltz agreed, and the agency dropped the modifier and made it simply "Virginia is for Lovers." The first ad mentioning the new slogan ran in the March 1969 issue of "Modern Bride."

Mapmikey

hbelkins

Quote from: SignGeek101 on April 20, 2015, 08:53:13 PM
Am I the only one that thinks of gay marriage when I saw that? I know it sounds silly (and maybe immature) to think of that but that's what I seriously thought the governor was trying to promote for his state.

I don't really like it. Virginia can be known for other things than "being for lovers".

The slogan dates to 1968, and I can remember it being used on maps and tourist booklets/brochures since my childhood.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

SteveG1988

To be fair, i actually like it. To me it kinda has a retro appeal due to how basic it is overall. I mean it isn't as vibrant as the WV welcome sign for example.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

froggie

Though I agree the cardinal is "overused", I prefer the cardinal signs to these new ones.

Pete from Boston

Funny thing–without digging up the details, I know the vaunted cardinal is an invasive here.  A 1950s bird-identification record my favorite radio station played mentioned the cardinal being new to the Northeast.

How long has it been "native" to Virginia?

The Nature Boy

Quote from: Pete from Boston on April 20, 2015, 11:45:42 PM
Funny thing–without digging up the details, I know the vaunted cardinal is an invasive here.  A 1950s bird-identification record my favorite radio station played mentioned the cardinal being new to the Northeast.

How long has it been "native" to Virginia?

Virginia made it the state bird in 1950 so I assume quite a while.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

seicer

I think the sign could have been designed better. For what it's worth, West Virginia's redesign is top notch - that was, until the current sitting governor saw it fit to replace "Wild and Wonderful" with "Open For Business" (reversed after the state became a laughingstock).

The state would go a long ways in removing the "RADAR DETECTORS ILLEGAL" and the aircraft enforcement crap that supersedes the welcome sign!

Mapmikey

rickmastfan67

Guys, stop intentionally doing you know what.... Only warning.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: froggie on April 20, 2015, 10:36:06 PM
Though I agree the cardinal is "overused", I prefer the cardinal signs to these new ones.

I much prefer the cardinal on a few dogwood branches, with a blue background.

Henry

Quote from: cpzilliacus on April 21, 2015, 12:04:41 PM
Quote from: froggie on April 20, 2015, 10:36:06 PM

I much prefer the cardinal on a few dogwood branches, with a blue background.
As if it weren't bad enough that they put the black background on the new signs, so they had to add the slogan too. That has DOUBLE-FAIL written all over it!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.