News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

I-69 in TN

Started by Grzrd, November 27, 2010, 06:15:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mwb1848

Perhaps I'm just feeling uncharitable toward TDOT.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on February 04, 2014, 03:59:36 PM
This TV video report ....
Quote from: Grzrd on April 16, 2013, 03:59:20 PM
TDOT released its FY 2014-2016 Three Year Plan today and it includes 2.9 miles of FY 2014 construction on I-69 in Obion County from south of US 51 to south of TN 5
The video also reports that the south of US 51 to south of TN 5 project will be let in May, 2014.

TDOT has posted its proposed 2015-17 Three Year Program and the Region 4 Project Highlights Sheet describes a 4.9 mile project from west of TN 21 to US 51 budgeted for FY 2017 construction (page 4/4 of pdf):

Assuming the 2.9 mile project scheduled for May 2014 is let, a FY 2017 letting for the 4.9 mile segment of the Union City US 51 to US 51 "loop" should mean that construction will have started on the entire "loop" in 2017.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on April 04, 2014, 12:29:16 PM
Quote from: Grzrd on February 04, 2014, 03:59:36 PM
This TV video report ....
Quote from: Grzrd on April 16, 2013, 03:59:20 PM
TDOT released its FY 2014-2016 Three Year Plan today and it includes 2.9 miles of FY 2014 construction on I-69 in Obion County from south of US 51 to south of TN 5
The video also reports that the south of US 51 to south of TN 5 project will be let in May, 2014.
TDOT has posted its proposed 2015-17 Three Year Program and the Region 4 Project Highlights Sheet describes a 4.9 mile project from west of TN 21 to US 51 budgeted for FY 2017 construction (page 4/4 of pdf)

The south of US 51 to south of TN 5 project is not among the projects listed for the May 23 letting:

http://www.tdot.state.tn.us/construction/2014/letting_052314.htm

I'm a little surprised that the 2.9 mile project is not included in the May 23 letting because I had been really surprised that the 4.9 mile project had been included in the recent "worst-case funding/focus on maintenance" Three Year Plan.  Oh well, what's a few more months in the grand scheme of things?

Avalanchez71

There is little love for this interstate in Nashville over at the Capitol.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on April 26, 2014, 05:04:53 PM
The south of US 51 to south of TN 5 project is not among the projects listed for the May 23 letting:
http://www.tdot.state.tn.us/construction/2014/letting_052314.htm
Quote from: Avalanchez71 on May 23, 2014, 01:46:13 PM
There is little love for this interstate in Nashville over at the Capitol.

The south of US 51 to south of TN 5 project was also not among the projects for the July 11 letting (http://www.tdot.state.tn.us/construction/2014/Notices/notJuly11.pdf) and this article reports that the project may be pushed back to FY 2015 unless Congress replenishes the Highway Trust Fund:

The future of 13 Tennessee road-widening projects totaling more than $200 million hangs in the balance as federal funds for the nation's highways could wither in August.
Unless Congress intervenes with a federal allocation to refresh the Highway Trust Fund, federal transportation leaders will start cutting money sent to state agencies by Aug. 1, triggering cutbacks in states' road projects.
In Tennessee, TDOT Commissioner John Schroer has set a list of 13 road projects the agency originally planned to launch in fiscal year 2014 but is now pushing back to 2015 because of the highway funding crisis ....
Other projects facing delay include the $66.4 million construction on Interstate 69 in Obion County ...

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on July 14, 2014, 10:03:03 PM
this article:
Other projects facing delay include the $66.4 million construction on Interstate 69 in Obion County ...

I recently asked TDOT about the approximate $22 million per mile estimated cost for the project and the response is as follows:

The project that was listed in this story was Obion County I-69 From South of SR 3 (US 51) to South of SR 5, approximately 2.9 miles in length ....
we are doing a grade and drain project first;  then coming back later with a paving project (except for the county roads and we will be doing the paving those connections).  Yes-- there are several large structures and retaining walls that will substantially increase the cost for this project.  Normally I give an "estimate"  of approximately 10M a mile for an interstate type facility.  But interchanges and structures always increase the costs.

Grzrd

This article reports that a revised Welcome Center along northbound I-55/(currently unsigned) I-69 in Memphis is about to go to bid again:

Northbound interstate travelers through Memphis have a little tougher time than other motorists finding a restroom after crossing into Tennessee, learning about local attractions or asking questions of locals.
Tennessee's I-55 Welcome Center in Whitehaven, demolished several years ago, has yet to be replaced. The 14 acres sit empty except for artist's Tom Wuchina's Pyradoptics, a sculpture of 100 posts that seem to change colors for those in passing vehicles.
The Tennessee Department of Transportation unveiled plans in 2010 to replace the aging welcome center there with a facility that would generate as much or more energy than it consumed.
The building would be the first owned by the state to be a "net-zero energy'' facility.

The budget is $3.75 million total, including $1.8 million for the building. But last summer the low bid for the new structure came in at $3.4 million. The state asked architects to redesign the structure with intentions of seeking a new round of bids.
Construction documents are with the state fire marshal's office awaiting approval, TDOT spokesman Nichole Lawrence said. Once the fire marshal signs off, the project will go to bid again.
"The revised design is more efficient by consolidating some building spaces, while preserving all of the restroom and tourism capacity anticipated with the completion of the I-69 corridor,"
said David Roberson, spokesman for the Tennessee Department of General Services.
The state still intends for the new welcome center to be the first net-zero energy building Tennessee owns. Solar panels will be installed on the roof.

Grzrd

The south of US 51 to south of TN 5 project was also not among the projects for the July 11 letting (http://www.tdot.state.tn.us/construction/2014/Notices/notJuly11.pdf) and this article reports that the project may be pushed back to FY 2015 unless Congress replenishes the Highway Trust Fund

Since Congress provided a Highway Trust Fund "patch" until May, 2015, I emailed TDOT to ask about the anticipated letting date for this project and they responded that it is currently on track to be let in the December 5 letting.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on November 04, 2014, 04:10:26 PM
Due to uncertainties associated with federal funding, TDOT Commissioner Schroer has delayed several projects, including construction of the I-55/Crump Boulevard interchange and ROW acquisition on the Lamar Corridor.  Here is a list of the projects delayed from FY 2015 to FY 2106 and a letter from Schroer to the Tennessee General Assembly explaining his decision.
It looks like projects in Tennessee will continue to be delayed until the U.S. Congress enacts the next multi-year reauthorization.
(above quote from Tennessee thread)
Quote from: Grzrd on August 06, 2014, 12:27:23 PM
The south of US 51 to south of TN 5 project was also not among the projects for the July 11 letting (http://www.tdot.state.tn.us/construction/2014/Notices/notJuly11.pdf) and this article reports that the project may be pushed back to FY 2015 unless Congress replenishes the Highway Trust Fund
Since Congress provided a Highway Trust Fund "patch" until May, 2015, I emailed TDOT to ask about the anticipated letting date for this project and they responded that it is currently on track to be let in the December 5 letting.

After noticing that the south of US 51 to south of TN 5 project is not included in the December 5 letting, I emailed TDOT to find out the new projected letting date, which is August, 2015:

... this project has now been placed in the August 2015 Letting. As I have stated before, that is dependent on the availability of funding.

I get the distinct impression that TDOT will continue to push back work on I-69 in Obion County until a new multi-year reauthorization is enacted.  After the mid-term elections, I had read some articles indicating that it would be realistic to hope that the two parties could agree on a new reauthorization in order to show the country that they can accomplish something.  However, this November 10 Washington Post article provides a gloomier assessment that a new reauthorization bill may not occur until after the next President is sworn in in 2017:

While transportation committees in the House and the Senate may now work with greater harmony to craft a transportation policy bill, it will fall to the finance committees to come up with the money.
"I don't know if the election has changed things that dramatically on the funding side, the revenue side,"  said Jim Tymon of the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO). "I don't think it provided a clear path forward, either."
Tymon, until recently the staff director for the House transportation committee, played an integral role in drafting the past three transportation bills.
Given that a new Congress takes time to get organized, Tymon says that unless House Speaker John A. Boehner (R-Ohio) and incoming Senate majority leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) agree to make a transportation bill a top priority, "it's going to be tough for them to meet this end-of-May deadline."
"If they were just dealing with policy, this is definitely an area where Congress and the administration could cut a deal in the first five months of the year,"  Tymon said. "But the $100 billion question is, how do they pay for it?"  ....
A longtime observer of the process predicted that the most likely outcome when the May deadline rolls around is another extension with a patchwork of additional funding sources, something less than the six-year bill state officials say is vital if they are to make decisions about multi-year projects.

"Either you're doing a short-term extension through the end of the [2015] fiscal year or through the end of the calendar year,"  said the observer, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because he is involved in the discussions, "or Congress just says, "˜We can find two years of money for you; we're going to a more streamlined authorization bill that extends the programs for two years with minimal policy changes. We'll see you back here in 2017.'­ "

The possible delay on a multi-year reauthorization probably means no progress on I-69 In Obion County for a long time.

edit

Quote from: Grzrd on February 21, 2014, 09:44:49 PM
Here is an email update from TDOT regarding the SIU 8 FEIS:
The document will be ready for public viewing in the winter of 2014-15 ... The current budget does not include any money for I 69 SIU 8 and 9.  We are still waiting on a funding source.   The budget does include money to finish a portion of I-69 in Obion County where the right-of-way has been purchased.
I suppose they are waiting for a funding source to appear in order to plausibly represent a funding stream for SIU 8 that would justify the issuance a Record of Decision.

I also suspect that a SIU 8 Final Environmental Impact Statement will not be issued until a new multi-year reauthorization is passed.  If so, and if time marches on, will the current Draft Environmental Impact Statement have to be scrapped and the environmental process have to be restarted?

Grzrd

Quote from: hbelkins on January 08, 2013, 12:02:31 PM
Quote from: codyg1985 on January 08, 2013, 11:53:51 AM
I imagine the most expensive part of the Dyersburg to Fulton segment will be reworking the interchange with US 45E at South Fulton, KY.
Only thing I've ever noticed that is not up to Interstate standards, besides the interchange, is the U-turn required for northbound US 51/45W traffic to access Ken-Tenn Road, TN Secondary (mumble) and the obvious old routing of US 51/45W.
A flyover northbound and some widening on the southbound ramp ought to knock out the problems at the state line interchange.

This article examines the progress (or lack thereof) being made on I-69 in six different states.  In regard to Tennessee, the article quotes Steve Chipman, TDOT's I-69 Project Manager, as saying that TDOT is actively working on the plans for the tie-in to the Purchase Parkway, and it also includes Chipman's assessment of the impact of lack of progress on SIU 8:

Tennessee is in a holding pattern when it comes to I-69. The state has made some progress near its borders with Kentucky and Mississippi, but the middle section is a long way from being complete ....
Nichole Lawrence, spokeswoman for the Tennessee Department of Transportation ....
estimates completing I-69 in Tennessee will cost about $2 billion. She said the state's transportation department operates on an annual budget of about $980 million.
Despite the gap in the middle of the state, progress has been made at either end. The entire I-69 route from Canada to Mexico is broken up into sections of independent utility, which are referred to as SIUs. Tennessee has acquired all the right of way needed for SIU 7, which stretches from the Kentucky border to Dyersburg. The state is working on plans to tie into Kentucky's Purchase Parkway, said Steve Chipman, I-69 project manager in Tennessee.
SIU 8, stretching from Dyersburg to Millington
, has been broken up into 13 smaller projects. Some of those have been completed, but others have been postponed due to a lack of funding, Chipman said.
Dyersburg to Millington is new construction, and there has been some resistance from people along that route, but most of the criticism relates to time, Chipman said.
"Overall, the resistance is to how long it will take," he said. "It takes a long time."
Part of that impatience comes from the benefits expected from the interstate's construction. For example, Lauderdale County is between two areas that are growing, Chipman said. In this rural area, hospitals have closed and potential new businesses have passed it over because it lacks interstate access, he said.

The areas around Memphis, to the south, however, are dealing with the opposite problem. The areas around the city are growing, and it's also a major freight route, which creates a lot of traffic ....

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on January 19, 2015, 02:12:41 PM
materials from a January 14, 2015 I-69 Texas Status Update Briefing. .... One of the materials from the January 14 presentation is a Status of National I-69 System map
(above quote from I-69 in TX thread)

In regard to I-69 in Tennessee, the National I-69 System map includes TN 385 and US 51 from Dyersburg to just south of Union City as part of the "Existing I-69 system":

and includes a graph showing that 62 of Tennessee's 171 miles of I-69 are open to traffic:

I believe that the TN 385 and US 51 sections included in the map as part of the I-69 system are interstate-grade construction, but I am unaware of FHWA having designated those sections as I-69 (US 51) and/or I-269 (TN 385).  Are these sections part of the "unsigned I-69" in Tennessee?

codyg1985

They are unsigned, but have future I-69 or I-269 signs up. Ditto for I-69 through midtown Memphis. I am not sure when TDOT will post legit I-69 or I-269 shields. Maybe they will once I-269 opens to MS 302 later this year.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

lordsutch

Quote from: codyg1985 on January 20, 2015, 06:37:26 AM
They are unsigned, but have future I-69 or I-269 signs up. Ditto for I-69 through midtown Memphis. I am not sure when TDOT will post legit I-69 or I-269 shields. Maybe they will once I-269 opens to MS 302 later this year.

Technically they're Future I-69 (or I-269) Corridor signs, not NC-style "Future I-73/74" shields.

As of two weeks ago there's not any paving done at all on the ramps at future I-269 and US 72, just grading, and the overpasses are still incomplete, so if TDOT is opening that segment sometime this year they're going to have to get the lead out.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on November 17, 2014, 11:26:54 AM
After noticing that the south of US 51 to south of TN 5 project is not included in the December 5 letting, I emailed TDOT to find out the new projected letting date, which is August, 2015:
... this project has now been placed in the August 2015 Letting. As I have stated before, that is dependent on the availability of funding.
I get the distinct impression that TDOT will continue to push back work on I-69 in Obion County until a new multi-year reauthorization is enacted

AASHTO has posted "Nation at a Crossroads", an infographic that makes the case for Congress to get its act together and pass a long-term highway reauthorization bill that will allow state DOTs to plan and build new major highway projects.  New terrain construction for I-69 SIU 7 (I-155 to KY state line) is included as one of Tennessee's five "critical projects" that could be addressed with a reauthorization:

I also assume that passage of a long-term reauthorization would increase the chances of TDOT at least pursuing a Record of Decision for I-69 SIU 8 (Millington to I-155).

codyg1985

Some of those "critical ptojects" seem to be nothing more than widening arterial roads that would benefit local motorists only.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

NE2

I can't make that site work in Firefox or IE.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on January 29, 2014, 10:56:02 AM
After seeing the state line work included in Kentucky's Recommended Plan, I emailed TDOT and asked for an update of the situation on their side of the state line ....
The response:
.... You are correct that Commissioner Schroer has committed to completing I-69 SIU 7 in approximately ten years.
Quote from: Grzrd on April 04, 2014, 12:29:16 PM
TDOT has posted its proposed 2015-17 Three Year Program and the Region 4 Project Highlights Sheet describes a 4.9 mile project from west of TN 21 to US 51 budgeted for FY 2017 construction (page 4/4 of pdf):

TDOT has posted its Fiscal Years 2016 - 2018 Proposed Comprehensive Multimodal Program and construction for the 4.9 mile project from west of TN 21 to US 51 has been pushed back to FY 2018:

It sure would be nice to have a long-term reauthorization to help TDOT fulfill Commissioner Schroer's commitment to finish I-69 SIU 7 in approximately ten years.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on February 12, 2013, 07:41:36 PM
This article seems to bring some clarity to Schroer's remarks by reporting on comments made by Eighth District U.S. Rep. Stephen Fincher indicating that construction on the Union City and Memphis sections of I-69 will proceed, but the section between Troy and Memphis is being halted:
"Memphis is where everything is coming together. You've got the rail, the air, the water and the roads. The problem is the bridge that's going to be built over the Mississippi River. That's a funding problem. They're talking about a toll. They're talking about a lot of things. We are all for I-69. We're working every day to secure more funding."  ....
Fincher stated ... It will cost another $100 million to complete the I-69 project from Memphis to the Mississippi border.

This April 24, 2015 article reports that U.S. Congressman Steve Cohen has introduced two aerotropolis-related bills that, if passed, could provide quasi-dedicated funding for both I-69 (presumably the $100 million Memphis section) and the Southern Gateway [Third] bridge:

Thursday, U.S. Congressman Steve Cohen introduced two bills that aim at boosting the development of aerotropolis transportation systems in Memphis and throughout the country.
Aerotropolis refers to the perspective of urban development focused on promoting diverse development surrounding airports ....
Cohen's Aerotropolis Act of 2015 and the Leading and Expediting Aerotropolis Development (LEAD) Act of 2015 work to speed the development of aerotropolis projects to help enhance economic competitiveness and spur job growth in cities like Memphis.
"The Memphis Aerotropolis is both a transportation network and an economic development engine for the Mid-South,"  Cohen said. "With the need to ship and receive goods quickly and efficiently growing by the day, establishing aerotropolis transportation systems in Memphis and across the country will kick-start economic growth, create jobs, improve our freight transportation network and enable us to compete more effectively in the modern global economy."
Cohen's Aerotropolis Act of 2015 would amend the Safe, Accountable, Flexible, Efficient Transportation Act: A Legacy for Users (SAFETEA—LU) to clarify that aerotropolis-related projects are eligible to receive funds under the Projects of National and Regional Significance Program.
The program funds projects with significant national economic benefits that cannot be funded through traditional funding mechanisms. The development of many aerotropolis transportation systems throughout the country is slowed because of a lack of funding for pre-construction activities, Cohen said.
The Leading and Expediting Aerotropolis Development (LEAD) Act of 2015 would establish a grant program to provide funding assistance to local entities for the planning, design, environmental review, and land acquisition for aerotropolis transportation system projects.
By providing a small influx of money in the pre-construction phase, the bill would help localities dramatically expedite project delivery, enhance U.S. competitiveness, and create jobs, Cohen said.
Both measures have the potential to help fund the Third Bridge, I-69 and I-22/78 Corridor projects.

Above said, I suspect that, of the three above-listed projects, the Lamar [I-22/78] Corridor would be first in line for any funding resulting from the two bills; however, the $100 million price tag for I-69 is relatively cheap compared to the price tags for the other two projects (although simply advancing the environmental process for the Southern Gateway should not be terribly expensive).

Wayward Memphian

Memphis needed the southern gateway bridge 20 years ago and a northern gateway bridge that ties I-555/I-55 and TN 385/I-69 together.  Oh well, one can dream

lordsutch

It wouldn't surprise me if when the Memphis & Arkansas is closed for the Crump interchange rebuild that TDOT and AHTD "discover" that it's cheaper to rebuild it than repair it. We already know it can't be retrofitted; they pretty much expect it to fall in the river whenever New Madrid decides to finally go off, along with the other bridges next to it.

An earthquake-proofed Southern Gateway would be nice but until M&A falls into the river I'm not sure anyone will make it a real priority. I don't think a northern crossing is needed as well, though; unlike St Louis the metro area just doesn't generate enough traffic to justify a crossing up there too.

The Ghostbuster

Personally, once the Union City bypass connects with the Purchase Parkway, they should slap on Interstate 69 shields from Interstate 155's terminus to Interstate 24. It probably won't happen that fast, and it will need approval. But in a perfect world, that's what I think should happen.

froggie

That would still require a freeway-grade connection at the south end of the Purchase Pkwy.

thefro

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on May 29, 2015, 05:00:09 PM
Personally, once the Union City bypass connects with the Purchase Parkway, they should slap on Interstate 69 shields from Interstate 155's terminus to Interstate 24. It probably won't happen that fast, and it will need approval. But in a perfect world, that's what I think should happen.

Kentucky's going to have the Purchase Parkway signed as I-69 well before TN completes the Union City bypass, and probably all the work done there as well.

There was one report a month ago that we would see I-69 signs on the Purchase Parkway later this year.

Wayward Memphian

Quote from: froggie on May 30, 2015, 07:44:52 AM
That would still require a freeway-grade connection at the south end of the Purchase Pkwy.

Explain I-49 in Northwest Arkansas, as there's a section that's not freeway to the Missouri line.

lordsutch

Note that in NW Ark they're not signing I-49 through Bella Vista; the designation just ends with the freeway.

Given the short substandard section in question, FHWA might let them get away with I-69 signing on an interim basis if the median crossings are closed (particularly the one on the west leg of the interchange), but I think they'd want to see plans at least for I-69 to become the mainline route.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.