Single Panel signs or "unisigns"

Started by peterj920, February 15, 2016, 03:31:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulthemapguy

Here's a good Rhode Island example.  I can deal with them unless they start using rogue fonts...that's when things get ugly.
https://goo.gl/maps/jyTdGmY6BWT2
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Pete from Boston

They may be different items, but up here they have the same name.  No amount of arguing is going to change that fact.

1995hoo

Northbound on New Hampshire Avenue NW in DC between 20 Street and Dupont Circle. This isn't on Street View yet. Picture taken this afternoon.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

ekt8750

Philly loves their unisigns. You can find them all over the city in various forms although this one with the green backdrop is the most common:

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9744877,-75.194897,3a,17.9y,37.39h,87.21t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1soeTEeuquIncSLm2zJrvAmQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

This one's rare in that it actually acknowledges a pair of surface level US highways that go through the city, something that doesn't happen often.

freebrickproductions

It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

mrsman

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 29, 2016, 01:48:16 PM
Northbound on New Hampshire Avenue NW in DC between 20 Street and Dupont Circle. This isn't on Street View yet. Picture taken this afternoon.

This seems odd.  IIRC, the current routing of US 29 through DC is Whitehurst Fwy - K Street-11 Street-RI Ave-6th-Florida-Georgia.  This sign would seem to support an old routing of US 29 via Whitehurst Fwy - K Street - NH Ave - 16th - Alaska - Georgia.

Takumi

The first reassurance shield on VA 145 westbound is a unisign. The distance sign wasn't there when I checked it out last week.
https://goo.gl/maps/N6jX613VjhG2
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

SignGeek101

Quote from: Takumi on March 06, 2016, 10:10:31 AM
The first reassurance shield on VA 145 westbound is a unisign. The distance sign wasn't there when I checked it out last week.
https://goo.gl/maps/N6jX613VjhG2

There's one just behind the streetview car:

https://goo.gl/maps/o6GP4282K342

1995hoo

Quote from: mrsman on March 06, 2016, 06:50:50 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on February 29, 2016, 01:48:16 PM

This seems odd.  IIRC, the current routing of US 29 through DC is Whitehurst Fwy - K Street-11 Street-RI Ave-6th-Florida-Georgia.  This sign would seem to support an old routing of US 29 via Whitehurst Fwy - K Street - NH Ave - 16th - Alaska - Georgia.

Yeah, I thought instead of "North" it should say "To." Setting that aside, on the whole it's one of the better-looking unisigns I've seen.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jbnv

I've seen them a few times in Louisiana in construction signage (see below). I think I've seen a unisign in normal signage somewhere, but have no idea where.

Texas has some small green signs for JUNCTION and TO, but I wouldn't call those unisigns.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

Zeffy

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 06, 2016, 01:13:54 PM
Setting that aside, on the whole it's one of the better-looking unisigns I've seen.

I personally like that design a lot - everything flows together nicely all within a single sign panel.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Takumi

Richmond is (in)famous for its unique unisigns.

In true Richmond fashion, this VA 33 shield should be US 33.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: Takumi on March 06, 2016, 09:32:48 PM
Richmond is (in)famous for its unique unisigns.

In true Richmond fashion, this VA 33 shield should be US 33.

Hilariously, there was a WEST US 33/WEST US 250 unisign above this one, but when both of them were blown down in a thunderstorm, Richmond only replaced the incorrect one.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

jakeroot

WSDOT-style reassurance marker for a duplex, in typical unisign fashion:

jay8g

Blue background unisign? I'm hoping it's temporary. (And, yes, it is still there; I just saw it today.)

PurdueBill

Quote from: jay8g on March 17, 2016, 12:44:47 AM
Blue background unisign? I'm hoping it's temporary. (And, yes, it is still there; I just saw it today.)

I've heard the excuse for that kind of thing before as "separate NORTH, shield, and arrow signs (if any) would all be blue, so this should be blue", which isn't correct--but the unisign thing enables it.  Got to be careful with unisigns when they leave an opening like this.

JCinSummerfield

Quote from: PurdueBill on March 17, 2016, 09:14:20 PM

I've heard the excuse for that kind of thing before as "separate NORTH, shield, and arrow signs (if any) would all be blue, so this should be blue", which isn't correct

Since interstate shields have always been cutouts, I don't know how you can call any color background incorrect.  That being said, blue wouldn't have been my first choice.

jeffandnicole

I've heard the excuse for that kind of thing before as "separate NORTH, shield, and arrow signs (if any) would all be blue, so this should be blue", which isn't correct--but the unisign thing enables it.  Got to be careful with unisigns when they leave an opening like this.

What's the regulation or standard regarding unisign background colors?

PurdueBill

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 18, 2016, 01:33:04 PM

There probably isn't--couldn't find one in any MUTCD. Which means that it should probably default to what appearance it would have if it were separate signs (like the US 29 one above, very nicely done imo) or if it were a guide sign (i.e., not a blue background behind a blue I-shield).

jeffandnicole

Quote from: PurdueBill on March 18, 2016, 01:40:32 PM

There probably isn't--couldn't find one in any MUTCD. Which means that it could probably default to what appearance it would have if it were separate signs (like the US 29 one above, very nicely done imo) or if it were a guide sign (i.e., not a blue background behind a blue I-shield).

Well, that's my point.  Here's a US 29 sign on a guide sign...which means it could have a green background, not a black background. https://goo.gl/maps/afiL9woc6UU2

Since there isn't any standard or guidance on unisigns, how can a blue background not be correct, when you provided conflicting answers to the US 29 sign, where both a black background matching the color of the sign and a green guidesign background could both be correct?

PurdueBill

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 18, 2016, 01:48:34 PM
Quote from: PurdueBill on March 18, 2016, 01:40:32 PM

There probably isn't--couldn't find one in any MUTCD. Which means that it could probably default to what appearance it would have if it were separate signs (like the US 29 one above, very nicely done imo) or if it were a guide sign (i.e., not a blue background behind a blue I-shield).

Well, that's my point.  Here's a US 29 sign on a guide sign...which means it could have a green background, not a black background. https://goo.gl/maps/afiL9woc6UU2

Since there isn't any standard or guidance on unisigns, how can a blue background not be correct, when you provided conflicting answers to the US 29 sign, where both a black background matching the color of the sign and a green guidesign background could both be correct?

It is hard to verbalize, but the "unisign" being one piece begs for it either to depict what three separate signs would look like, or else look like a guide sign with proper colors.  A guide sign like the I-5 one wouldn't have a blue background. 

I guess maybe the way to describe what it should be is if you sliced the unisign into parts to make individual signs, would they appear as proper signs standing alone?  The DC US 29 one would.  The I-5 with blue background wouldn't.  (A RIDOT-style white backround would be better than the blue, especially to make the shield visible.)

Somewhere in a photo on Steve's site there is an example of such--if I could ever remember what route/state/page it was on.

cl94

There are quite a few of these and similar ones for other routes scattered around Columbus. I'm assuming they were all put up by the city, as I doubt ODOT would post a unisign.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

hbelkins

ODOT uses a lot of unisigns at intersections, with the route marker, direction and destination all in one panel.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

PurdueBill

Quote from: hbelkins on March 19, 2016, 10:13:53 PM
ODOT uses a lot of unisigns at intersections, with the route marker, direction and destination all in one panel.

The Columbus ones look more like a Maryland-type unisign, though, with depictions of direction plate, shield, and arrow on a black background.  Usual ODOT unisign fare is the type with the direction and arrow on the same side, with shield usually 3-digit width whether it needs to be or not (probably so they can have just two templates for these; one for US and one for state shields).

From Steve's I-70 WB, US 52, US 52, US 127, and OH 3 pages respectively.  The US 202 one was an error that was corrected eventually, although they should have sold it to Delaware or Massachusetts or something.

paulthemapguy

The weird thing about these Ohio unisigns, though, is that the shield in the middle is always an extra-wide one (36x24).  Obviously there's no reason you need an extra-wide sign for a single digit number like 3 haha
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.