News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Former US Route 101 in Bradley

Started by Max Rockatansky, January 22, 2021, 10:35:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

US Route 101 originally entered the rail road siding of Bradley via a 1888 Monterey County sourced truss bridge over the Salinas River which entered the community via Dixie Street.  The 1888 Bridge was replaced in 1930 with a modernized Warren Truss span which streamlined US Route 101 onto what is now Bradley Road through Bradley.  Eventually US Route 101 was moved to a freeway bypass of Bradley in 1966 which remained on the western bank of the Salinas River.  The 1930 Bradley Road Bridge is still present as the through road in Bradley and the remains of the 1888 structure can be found just upstream.  I feel somewhat fortunate given this blog has photos of the 1888 Salinas River Bridge given it was photographed as part of a April 1932 California Highways & Public Work article on the 1930 Bradley Bridge.

https://www.gribblenation.org/2021/01/former-us-route-101-in-bradley.html

nexus73

I love your former 101 posts for this area.  All I ever did when in the area was pass through.  Thank you Max for letting me see what I missed!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.