News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

South Carolina lawmakers pushing for funding of I-20 Bridges

Started by afguy, January 18, 2016, 05:25:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

afguy

It's about time! The I-20 bridges over the Savannah are dangerous, especially in light of the fact that Georgia widened I-20 from 4 to 6 lanes from Belair Road to Riverwatch Parkway. I also agree with the State Rep. Hixon that I-20 should be six lanes up to Exit 5 in South Carolina. I'm hoping the funding can be found this year...
Quote"Georgia is saying that they've got the money to do the bridges. It's gonna be put up or shut up time. If Georgia's got the money, it's time for them to show us,"  says Hixon.

Within the past year Hixon, along with several Aiken lawmakers have worked to find the funding for expansion. Hixon says the recent accidents have just increased the priority of the project.

"Nothing has been done coming from the river coming in from South Carolina to exit 5. That concrete is coming up. The interstate is coming apart."

Lawmakers say they don't want to just stop at improving the condition of the bridges but go beyond that.

"And instead of repairing it, why not let's go ahead and widen it all the way to exit 5."

Hixon says the South Carolina infrastructure bank has already invested $900,000 to fund the design work form the River to Exit 5.

"I don't want to build a bridge to nowhere,"  says Hixon.

GDOT says the project's construction is scheduled for the year 2020 at an estimated cost of $45 million dollars. South Carolina is also working to meet that project date.
http://nbc26.tv/2016/01/18/south-carolina-lawmakers-pushing-for-funding-of-i-20-bridges/

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.