News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Planning Brick Meet Trip

Started by vdeane, June 07, 2013, 11:51:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdeane

While I'm not 100% sure about whether this meet will work out, I'm leaning to yes and would like to plan the trip over.  I don't want to take vacation over a meet this early after starting my job, so the earliest I can leave is 3 PM Friday 6/28.  I was thinking of taking the Thruway from Rome to Harriman and staying there (which would allow me to explore along US 6 and US 9W).  Plans for Saturday are to clinch NY 17, divert back to the Thruway, and take the Garden State Parkway down.  For the trip back I was thinking of taking I-195 over to the Turnpike, take that to I-80, loop back I-280, take the eastern spur back up, then I-87 and I-287 (clinching the mainline Thruway) to I-684 and taking the Taconic back; route undetermined west of Albany, it would probably depend on time and how much I want to get home on Sunday.  I'm not sure where I want to stay on the way back - perhaps along I-684?  It would be nice to also clinch I-95 and I-87 in NY if I had the time.

Any advice, suggestions welcome.  I've never done a multi-day trip for a meet before so I'm not well versed in where to find a good but relatively cheap hotel, etc.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Alps

Long Mountain Parkway, maybe? By "clinch NY 17" I assume you mean "what will become the remainder of NY 17 eventually." Would recommend heading down east side of Hudson if you want to do anything in NYC - much cheaper. That and... all the cool stuff is off the freeways.

Duke87

Deviate off of 9W and take NY 218 instead. It's much more interesting.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

vdeane

"Along US 9W" is indeed NY 218, and that other route running from US 9W/NY 218 to US 6.  I'm not sure how to incorporate the bridge in, but I'll think of something.  maybe a loop down US 9 and the Palisades if I have time (not likely).

"Clinch NY 17" is the remainder, yes.  I already have all of future I-86.

Any advice for hotel finding?  Many places don't list rates and I don't have the budget for something very expensive.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

hbelkins

Quote from: vdeane on June 08, 2013, 12:57:10 PM
Any advice for hotel finding?  Many places don't list rates and I don't have the budget for something very expensive.

TripAdvisor will give you rates as well as a review of the establishment.

I don't think you'll find anything along I-684. I stayed in Danbury last Saturday night on my way back from Portsmouth, and it's only about 10 miles or so off I-684, but I don't remember seeing anything along 684 proper.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

vdeane

Right now Newburgh, NY and Trenton, NJ are looking like the best options.  I'm currently leaning towards "go, worry about the finances later, and I can always cut out Cleveland if it becomes a problem (probably will... I can go to Ohio any year, and it isn't really drawing me the way other trip plans are).  With Binghamton and Burlington, that's four full-size meets this year, which is a good number considering that I just graduated college last month.

dgolub

Quote from: hbelkins on June 08, 2013, 03:20:03 PM
Quote from: vdeane on June 08, 2013, 12:57:10 PM

TripAdvisor will give you rates as well as a review of the establishment.

I don't think you'll find anything along I-684. I stayed in Danbury last Saturday night on my way back from Portsmouth, and it's only about 10 miles or so off I-684, but I don't remember seeing anything along 684 proper.

I-684 mostly goes through the middle of nowhere.  Other than White Plains where it begins, the most substantial towns you'll find along it are Katonah and Brewster.  I'm not sure if you'd find any hotels there or not.  Danbury is nice.  I was actually there last weekend for a day trip.  I would think you could probably find something there if you wanted to add an extra state to your trip.

jerseyguy

Quote from: vdeane on June 08, 2013, 11:19:29 PM
Right now Newburgh, NY and Trenton, NJ are looking like the best options.

Princeton, NJ is always good for a $45-55 2 1/2-3* priceline bid. Lots of hotels off of US-1. I recently stayed at Holiday Inn Express Princeton Southeast  for $51 a night $65.95 tax/fees included.   

vdeane

I highly recommend taking NY 218 northbound rather than southbound; I missed out on a scenic overlook because it was hard to access, especially with all the other cars already there.

Lots of cheap gas in Newburgh, though tomorrow it will seem really expensive.

Hope everything is OK with my car.  The wheels seemed to shake at 65 mph while on NY 17 (but everything was fine on the Thruway, and I don't know what could have happened recently) and the shock absorbers seem to be giving a harder ride (though that could also be Newburg's poorly maintained streets).

vdeane

Everything moved well in NY on I-95; I was going 55-60 in the left lane through the Bronx.

What happened to the eastern spur on the Turnpike?  It was closed when I tried to clinch it, which was a HUGE disappointment because I wanted to clinch 95 in northern NJ and won't be back there any time soon.

Duke87

Rob had mentioned yesterday that the eastern spur was closed due to construction this weekend. Dunno exactly what or where, though.

What did the Cross Bronx look like going the other way? The situation does seem to have improved since I gave my warning several weeks back. Considering that the problems were construction-related this probably just means that whatever particular bit of what they're doing that was causing the mess has finished up (or been put on hold for the summer).

NE2

The western spur is de facto 95 anyway.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

dgolub

Quote from: Duke87 on June 30, 2013, 07:26:42 PM
Rob had mentioned yesterday that the eastern spur was closed due to construction this weekend. Dunno exactly what or where, though.

It can't have been the whole weekend since my bus went that way on the way there and back.

vdeane

Quote from: Duke87 on June 30, 2013, 07:26:42 PM
I would guess right at exit 15W where I-280 comes in.  The ramp from I-280 was blocked off and and signs on the mainline said "exit 15E only".

QuoteWhat did the Cross Bronx look like going the other way? The situation does seem to have improved since I gave my warning several weeks back. Considering that the problems were construction-related this probably just means that whatever particular bit of what they're doing that was causing the mess has finished up (or been put on hold for the summer).
Honestly I don't remember; I was mostly paying attention to driving and taking pictures.  Nothing stood out to me though.

Quote from: NE2 on June 30, 2013, 07:46:36 PM
Too bad CHM uses the eastern spur for 95 (which I find odd, given that the Turnpike signage uses western).

Duke87

Quote from: vdeane on July 01, 2013, 07:45:10 PM
Too bad CHM uses the eastern spur for 95 (which I find odd, given that the Turnpike signage uses western).

The deal with eastern being 95 and western being 95W is from New Jersey's internal documentation, which CHM was based on. FHWA considers western to be 95 and eastern to not be part of the interstate system. FHWA also considers several segments of signed interstate (such as 695 in New York and much of 695 in Maryland) to not officially be part of the system, so their route log was not used for CHM.

NE2

FHWA includes both spurs as part of I-95. That's the only way to get the mileage up to 97.76: http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/reports/routefinder/table1.cfm

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alps

Quote from: NE2 on July 01, 2013, 09:01:33 PM
FHWA includes both spurs as part of I-95. That's the only way to get the mileage up to 97.76: http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/reports/routefinder/table1.cfm
Does it work better to use the Easterly Alignment or to use the Trenton I-95 in making that total?

NE2

Quote from: Steve on July 01, 2013, 09:21:04 PM
Does it work better to use the Easterly Alignment or to use the Trenton I-95 in making that total?
Yes.

You need to include both Trenton and the two spurs.

77.96 http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/refdata/sldiag/00000095__-.pdf
8.77 http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/refdata/sldiag/00000095M_-.pdf
11.03 http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/refdata/sldiag/00000095W_-.pdf

Alps

Quote from: NE2 on July 01, 2013, 09:25:07 PM
Quote from: Steve on July 01, 2013, 09:21:04 PM
Yes.

You need to include both Trenton and the two spurs.

77.96 http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/refdata/sldiag/00000095__-.pdf
8.77 http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/refdata/sldiag/00000095M_-.pdf
11.03 http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/refdata/sldiag/00000095W_-.pdf
Makes sense to me that they need to be included somehow, since the NJTA never gave up the Easterly Alignment as part of the Interstate system just because they built the Westerly. The question becomes, at what point is their hand forced into making the Easterly into I-695 or 895.

vdeane

Quote from: Duke87 on July 01, 2013, 08:23:54 PM
Quote from: vdeane on July 01, 2013, 07:45:10 PM

The deal with eastern being 95 and western being 95W is from New Jersey's internal documentation, which CHM was based on. FHWA considers western to be 95 and eastern to not be part of the interstate system. FHWA also considers several segments of signed interstate (such as 695 in New York and much of 695 in Maryland) to not officially be part of the system, so their route log was not used for CHM.
Didn't I-695 in NY get officially get approved a few years ago?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.