News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Favorite Stubs

Started by Mergingtraffic, April 10, 2015, 11:31:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mergingtraffic

Any stubs you think are cool and visit when you're in the area?

US-40 Baltimore:  It's like driving in a time warp back to 1982. You can see where it would go and how it was going to be built (before they tore down the west end)

RI-138 Newport, RI:  So many stub ramps and original signage and the stub on the highway itself

Henderson Bridge, RI:  Same reasoning as RI-138, but the stub is still lit at night as they replace the streetlight bulbs so it lights up the unused portion.

I-710 CA:  Mainly because of the signage and sign supports.
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

Alps

Multiple meets have visited NJ 58 in Newark and Eisenhower Parkway in Chatham and Livingston. I liked climbing out on would-be I-95 at the US 1/MA 60 rotary before they cleared those out. But I can't pick a favorite. Each new stub I discover is a favorite.

vtk

I thought I-670's stub end at Grandview Ave was cool when I was a kid. It's not a stub anymore.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

KG909

CA 259. No one knows it exists but people use it everyday.
~Fuccboi

vtk

Oh yes, and I just remembered the stub of old US 33 between Logan and Nelsonville. The two lane road tapers out to a four lane freeway and then just stops at the bottom of the embankment of the new freeway.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Bruce

Obligatory R.I.P. for the R.H. Thomson Expressway ghost ramp stubs near the SR 520 floating bridge here in Seattle.

TEG24601

Quote from: Bruce on April 11, 2015, 11:31:08 AM
Obligatory R.I.P. for the R.H. Thomson Expressway ghost ramp stubs near the SR 520 floating bridge here in Seattle.
Seconded.

There are also the not quite, may be soon, stubs on I-80 west of Lincoln NE, which looks like it may actually be used for I-80 in the near future.

I would have to add all of the stubs/ghost ramps in Portland.  The ones for the Prescott Expressway at the end of the Freemont Bridge, the former exits and entrances from I-84/US 30 to the Steel Bridge, the West End of the Steel Bridge, and the last remaining remnants of the Powell/Mt. Hood Freeway on the Marquam Bridge.

M-5 in Novi, MI also works for me, both directions.  One was to be I-275 to Pontiac, the other was to be a US-16 freeway or possibly I-96.  The M-8/Davidson Freeway is another interesting item in Detroit.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

mgk920

Several in Milwaukee, too, such as the abortive north end of the Stadium Freeway (WI 175) a block or so south of Lisbon Ave.

https://goo.gl/maps/ovHVv

The freeway was to continue to a directional 'Y' interchange with the unbuilt Park West freeway just north of North Ave (the major east-west street in the image), with its northwest leg continuing on northwest and northward to connect with the WI 145 freeway at 67th St and Fond du Lac Ave.

Mike

Bickendan

The old CA 30 stub west of I-210 before CA 210 got built.

NE2

The 156 feet of Lower Manhattan Expressway under Chrystie Street.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Darkchylde

The Earhart Expressway near New Orleans. So many stubs.

SteveG1988

The stubs for PA route 90 at the Betsy Ross Bridge due to the fact that it has just been left there as is since the 1970s. Only alterations were to the flyover ramps to connect to a local street.

Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Roadrunner75

This one - once planned route to Atlantic City
https://www.google.com/maps?ll=39.510586,-74.319425&spn=0.000004,0.00327&t=m&z=19&layer=c&cbll=39.510741,-74.319921&panoid=bg71-Ng0Ydva9s9wP_iy2w&cbp=12,195.06,,0,-2.42

And it's long since been completed, but I used to like the stubs at the southern side of the Girard Point Bridge (I-95 over the Schuylkill River) in the 80s before the gap in 95 was completed near the Philadelphia International Airport.
https://www.google.com/maps?ll=39.88599,-75.209677&spn=0.000012,0.006539&t=h&z=18&layer=c&cbll=39.885973,-75.210625&panoid=2KRToC-C1LCYVJ4dJLbOxw&cbp=12,284.06,,0,-2.59
The temporary route followed Enterprise Ave., Island Ave. and PA 291.

Bickendan

US 30 in Portland. Originally a stub from the Fremont Bridge to what was supposed to be I-505 between NW 18th/19th and 23rd Aves around Thurman St, it gets bonus points for being lengthened a tad and swung north to NW Yeon Ave at Nicolai St. It even has its own ghost ramps! It's not even liked by some mapmakers -- despite being a freeway with its own exit (NW Vaughn St and 23rd Ave), it won't get drawn in as a freeway, yet it's more substantial than some 3dis!

roadman

Every day when I take the commuter rail into and out of North Station in Boston, I pass by the stub ramps that were to be the interchange of the I-695 Inner Belt with the then-intended termination of I-93 in Somerville.  The stubs to/from I-93 facing Somerville are well hidden, because they were subsequently re-used to connect the Leverett Connector ramps to the highway, but the stubs to/from I-93 facing Boston are fairly apparent if you know where to look.

If you're driving on the I-93 Lower Deck, the stub going to Boston, which enters on the right, is all but invisible now, as the extra width at the stub was stolen for the lane 'jog' to accommodate the relocated carpool lane 'enforcement area'.  If you're driving on the I-93 Upper Deck, the stub going to Somerville, which exits on the left, is blocked off with Jersey barriers, but has a portable CMS board with travel time information.

These stubs are an interesting piece of local highway history that most people are not aware of, and one of the last remnants of the Boston expressway master plan - now that the sand embankment that was adjacent to MA Route 107 across the Rumney Marsh (aka Great Lynn Marsh) in Revere (which I used to pass by twice daily on the express bus when I lived with my parents in Lynn) has all but been completely removed.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Pete from Boston

Quote from: roadman on April 13, 2015, 06:30:44 PMAn interesting piece of local highway history that most people are not aware of, and one of the last remnants of the Boston expressway master plan - now that the sand embankment across the Rumney Marsh in Revere (which I used to pass by twice daily on the express bus when I lived with my parents) has all but been completely removed.

The part that was in the Big Dig compensation plan, or the part further toward Lynn that they recently discussed putting on the beach in Winthrop?

Alps

Quote from: NE2 on April 11, 2015, 03:17:19 PM
How does one get there?

NE2

Quote from: Alps on April 13, 2015, 07:15:36 PM
Quote from: NE2 on April 11, 2015, 03:17:19 PM
How does one get there?
With Bertha.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

PHLBOS

The I-84/CT 9 (would-be I-291) interchange west of Hartford.

Quote from: Pete from Boston on April 13, 2015, 07:09:14 PM
Quote from: roadman on April 13, 2015, 06:30:44 PMAn interesting piece of local highway history that most people are not aware of, and one of the last remnants of the Boston expressway master plan - now that the sand embankment across the Rumney Marsh in Revere (which I used to pass by twice daily on the express bus when I lived with my parents) has all but been completely removed.
The part that was in the Big Dig compensation plan, or the part further toward Lynn that they recently discussed putting on the beach in Winthrop?
I believe Roadman is referring to the entire embankment that was originally planned to be I-95 through Saugus.  I could be mistaken but I don't believe that its recent removal (it's been there for decades) has anything to do with the Big Dig.  Much of the land that was dug up for the latter was placed on Spectacle Island (yes that was a name for the small island located just outside of Boston Harbor).
GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman

Correct PHLBOS.  Most of the embankment was removed in order to renew Revere Beach, offsetting its ongoing erosion problems.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

freebrickproductions

I like looking at any and all stubs, but the ones that I really like are the ones at the end of AL 255's limited access portion.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Pete from Boston

Quote from: PHLBOS on April 14, 2015, 09:22:09 AM
The I-84/CT 9 (would-be I-291) interchange west of Hartford.

Quote from: Pete from Boston on April 13, 2015, 07:09:14 PM
I believe Roadman is referring to the entire embankment that was originally planned to be I-95 through Saugus.  I could be mistaken but I don't believe that its recent removal (it's been there for decades) has anything to do with the Big Dig.  Much of the land that was dug up for the latter was placed on Spectacle Island (yes that was a name for the small island located just outside of Boston Harbor).

So there are two discrete parts, just to clarify:

- The embankment immediately adjacent to Route 1 and north of Route 60 that cut into the wide part of the marsh.  This was removed during the Big Dig (and, according to Roadman, used for Revere Beach nourishment) to comply with the terms of either the environmental certificate or the consent decree with the CLF, or both.  This was finished well before the Big Dig was, c. 2000. It didn't involve spoil from the Big Dig, but rather removing what had been left in Rumney Marsh 30 years prior.

- The remaining embankment north of here, going toward Lynn.  According to newspaper articles, it became a popular unsanctioned spot for walkers and birdwatchers (and birds).  Last year or the year before, it was announced that most of it would be removed and trucked over to nourish Winthrop Beach.  I haven't paid attention to whether this was ever begun or completed.

GCrites

Quote from: vtk on April 11, 2015, 09:37:55 AM
I thought I-670's stub end at Grandview Ave was cool when I was a kid. It's not a stub anymore.

I found it infuriating when trying to find the junkyards on McKinley Ave. without my buddy who knew where they were.  Musta hit that stub 4 times in one day. I didn't know that part of town very well back then. This was mid-late '90s.

PHLBOS

Quote from: Pete from Boston on April 14, 2015, 09:48:02 AM- The remaining embankment north of here, going toward Lynn.  According to newspaper articles, it became a popular unsanctioned spot for walkers and birdwatchers (and birds).  Last year or the year before, it was announced that most of it would be removed and trucked over to nourish Winthrop Beach.  I haven't paid attention to whether this was ever begun or completed.
Look like it's pretty much gone, based on this GSV
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Takumi

The stub of I-295 at its "north" end at I-64. It had been planned to continue as VA 288 (at both ends) but the routing for both routes was changed. What was originally 288's routing is now the surface level John Rolfe Parkway, while 295 was changed to continue south past Petersburg. Stub here: http://goo.gl/maps/K2uvy

Also this video reminded me of this thread. Don't judge me.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.