News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Disco by non Disco artists

Started by roadman65, May 29, 2019, 12:03:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark68

"Another One Bites the Dust"
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."~Yogi Berra

hbelkins

"Dance Pt. 1" and "Dance Pt. 2" by the Stones.

And if you want to look earlier than "Miss You," quite a bit on the "Black and Blue" album would qualify, especially "Hot Stuff."

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Pink Jazz

Would "Street Life" by The Crusaders (a jazz/fusion band) count?

Brian556

Kim Widle's 1987 remake of "You Keep Me Hangin' On

kevinb1994

How about "Nineteen Hundred and Eighty-Five"  by Paul McCartney and Wings?

sparker

Back in '76 -- just about disco peak -- Jefferson Starship (more specifically, the late Marty Balin, who had no issue with shifting genres) did a decidedly disco number on their otherwise underrated Spitfire album called "Love Lovely Love".  Not quite as sexually explicit, lyrically, as his previous venture into soul/funk with "Miracles" from the previous year's album Red Octopus, it nevertheless delved into Balin's often overheated libido (at least concerning his songwriting!).  But "Love (etc.)" had it all -- soaring synthesized strings, "cut time" 2/2 beat -- the sort of song one could dance to if they couldn't really dance -- just bob one's head and pretend!  Dig up the album and listen to the cut -- it's dated and more than a bit derivative -- but it's kind of a hoot anyway!

Road Hog

Road Hog

I completely preferred the disco songs of the day to the Yacht Rock songs. Seemed like you had to choose between one or the other for a period in the late 70s/early 80s on top 40 radio. The exceptions seemed to be British artists, many of which I discovered a full decade later (Joy Division, etc.)

renegade

Quote from: Road Hog on June 07, 2019, 08:23:28 PM
I completely preferred the disco songs of the day to the Yacht Rock songs. Seemed like you had to choose between one or the other for a period in the late 70s/early 80s on top 40 radio. The exceptions seemed to be British artists, many of which I discovered a full decade later (Joy Division, etc.)
What on Earth is a "yacht rock"  song?  Examples?
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: renegade on June 08, 2019, 12:29:11 AM
Pretty much anything by Christopher Cross
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Rothman

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on June 08, 2019, 04:12:54 AM
I can't think of a Christopher Cross hit that counts as any sort of rock.  Sailing?  Nah.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: Rothman on June 08, 2019, 08:04:36 AM
I can't think of a Christopher Cross hit that counts as any sort of rock.  Sailing?  Nah.

Article specifically mentions Sailing

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yacht_rock
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

KEVIN_224

Amazingly, the article doesn't mention the part-time Sirius/XM "Yacht Rock" channel!

bugo

Rothman

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on June 08, 2019, 09:58:22 AM
Quote from: Rothman on June 08, 2019, 08:04:36 AM

Article specifically mentions Sailing

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yacht_rock
Therefore, it must be true.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jp the roadgeek

sparker

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on June 10, 2019, 01:31:25 AM
Here's an all inclusive playlist of Yacht Rock favorites

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLemLulPSDQ8uec7IBuwIQKswQKDZtEsp1

Steely Dan as "Yacht Rock"?  Really?  Fagen & Becker skewered the "easy listening" genre in their lyrics; I doubt they even got close to a yacht unless their respective significant others dragged them onto one!  Just listen to Deacon Blues -- self-loathing and general cynicism in song form; and the entirety of the album Gaucho was an expression of scorn for anything resembling "L.A. shallow".  Also -- the Eagles I Can't Tell You Why is great songwriting in a nutshell -- nothing "yachty" or even shallow about that one.

Now:  Christopher Cross' overall output (with the arguable exception of Ride Like the Wind could easily fit into the thread category.  Since early '80's "transition" rock (getting out of disco into ironic ballads) seems to dominate the long (220!?) playlist, there's a lot of content with which to select -- if only the compiler of this list were more selective!

TheStranger

Quote from: sparker on June 10, 2019, 03:16:36 AM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on June 10, 2019, 01:31:25 AM
Here's an all inclusive playlist of Yacht Rock favorites

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLemLulPSDQ8uec7IBuwIQKswQKDZtEsp1

Steely Dan as "Yacht Rock"?  Really?  Fagen & Becker skewered the "easy listening" genre in their lyrics; I doubt they even got close to a yacht unless their respective significant others dragged them onto one!  Just listen to Deacon Blues -- self-loathing and general cynicism in song form; and the entirety of the album Gaucho was an expression of scorn for anything resembling "L.A. shallow".  Also -- the Eagles I Can't Tell You Why is great songwriting in a nutshell -- nothing "yachty" or even shallow about that one.

Now:  Christopher Cross' overall output (with the arguable exception of Ride Like the Wind could easily fit into the thread category.  Since early '80's "transition" rock (getting out of disco into ironic ballads) seems to dominate the long (220!?) playlist, there's a lot of content with which to select -- if only the compiler of this list were more selective!

The Yacht Rock web comedy series from 2005-2006 that gave the genre its name...focused primarily on the studio smooth sound that Steely Dan themselves were a part of:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yacht_Rock_(web_series)

Chris Sampang

golden eagle

golden eagle

Quote from: Brian556 on June 01, 2019, 11:46:25 AM
Kim Widle's 1987 remake of "You Keep Me Hangin' On

Danceable, but not disco to me.

Big John

Barbara Streisand - The Main Event

kevinb1994

How about "Listen to What the Man Said"  by Paul McCartney and Wings?

golden eagle

Quote from: kevinb1994 on June 16, 2019, 06:15:49 PM

I don't consider it disco. A better Paul McCartney example would be "Coming Up" . Even then, it's borderline disco.

kevinb1994

Quote from: golden eagle on June 16, 2019, 06:30:10 PM
I don't consider it disco. A better Paul McCartney example would be "Coming Up" . Even then, it's borderline disco.
Let's agree to disagree, then.

golden eagle

Quote from: kevinb1994 on June 16, 2019, 06:31:19 PM
Quote from: golden eagle on June 16, 2019, 06:30:10 PM
Let's agree to disagree, then.

Agreed! Have a beer on me! 🍺

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.