News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Rhode Island mileage based exit numbers?

Started by vdeane, April 27, 2014, 05:17:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Well I believe that each individual state should be able to number their exits as they see fit, however IMO, being I-295 is in Mass for a short period, it should continue what Rhode Island started to simplify things.   Considering that Mass only has two exits, it is not that much of a scheme.    Even if they copied NJDOT where I-278 gets no exit numbers for its 2 miles within the Garden State is better off.

Usually numbers are to determine relationships between interchanges or mileage.    This having two different schemes is not so confusing a it is useless.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Alps

Quote from: roadman65 on December 08, 2021, 09:20:29 PM
Well I believe that each individual state should be able to number their exits as they see fit, however IMO, being I-295 is in Mass for a short period, it should continue what Rhode Island started to simplify things.   Considering that Mass only has two exits, it is not that much of a scheme.    Even if they copied NJDOT where I-278 gets no exit numbers for its 2 miles within the Garden State is better off.

Usually numbers are to determine relationships between interchanges or mileage.    This having two different schemes is not so confusing a it is useless.
if they copied i-278 they would have exit numbers

akotchi

Eastbound has no exit numbers in New Jersey, which is (I think) what he was referring to.  Westbound got exit numbers, which actually duplicate the last WB exit number in New York, under the Goethals Bridge replacement.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

Alps

Quote from: akotchi on December 10, 2021, 10:53:38 AM
Eastbound has no exit numbers in New Jersey, which is (I think) what he was referring to.  Westbound got exit numbers, which actually duplicate the last WB exit number in New York, under the Goethals Bridge replacement.
I woulda lost that bet. I thought 2-3 were signed. Whoops.

roadman65

Quote from: akotchi on December 10, 2021, 10:53:38 AM

I wasn't counting the Goethals Bridge exits as NJ exits being it's not NJDOT but PANYNJ so it's like a neutral zone.  However, I guess WB really does being there are no WB exits off the bridge and the only exits on the NJDOT part is Brunswick Avenue and the Turnpike.

However, those WB numbers now still are meant to be part of the grand scheme as NY never had an Exit 1 due to them considering one day the Garden State would actually assign numbers to its one interchange.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

bob7374

While there have been no media reports about I-95 exit renumbering, the RIDOT 4th Quarter Report indicates the I-95 Exit Renumbering Project is officially "Under Construction." Its official Notice to Proceed was moved back to Dec. 15 from Dec. 31, 2021 listed in the 3rd Quarter report, and the substantial completion date was moved back from April 2023 to December 2022. You would think RIDOT would want this completed before the summer months, as with the other exit renumbering projects, so if nothing is reported in the next month or so, it probably won't happen until next fall.

The 4th Q Report, I-95 project listed on p. 66 of Appendix A:
https://www.dot.ri.gov/accountability/docs/2021/QR_Oct-Dec_2021_Insert_A.pdf

abqtraveler

Quote from: bob7374 on February 07, 2022, 04:37:28 PM
While there have been no media reports about I-95 exit renumbering, the RIDOT 4th Quarter Report indicates the I-95 Exit Renumbering Project is officially "Under Construction." Its official Notice to Proceed was moved back to Dec. 15 from Dec. 31, 2021 listed in the 3rd Quarter report, and the substantial completion date was moved back from April 2023 to December 2022. You would think RIDOT would want this completed before the summer months, as with the other exit renumbering projects, so if nothing is reported in the next month or so, it probably won't happen until next fall.

My question is: are they just overlaying existing signage with new exit numbers or are they doing a full sign replacement (including support structures) along the entire length of I-95? The latter may explain why they're planning to take until December to complete the project.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

bob7374

Quote from: abqtraveler on February 07, 2022, 10:43:15 PM

My question is: are they just overlaying existing signage with new exit numbers or are they doing a full sign replacement (including support structures) along the entire length of I-95? The latter may explain why they're planning to take until December to complete the project.
The winning bid was $925,503.75. That doesn't sound to me like sign replacement, just overlays. Most of the I-95 signage in the Providence area anyway is quite recent. To compare against a true sign and support replacement contract, the project cost of I-95 sign replacement for 11 exits between Attleboro and Norwood is $6,238,931.37.

Ted$8roadFan

I'm surprised that I-95 re-numbering (if it is happening and hasn't been covered as of  now) hasn't been mentioned more prominently. Unlike the other highways that have been re-numbered (4, 24, 146, 195, and 295), 95 is more or less Rhode Island's Main Street with many exits, some complicated, and large amounts of traffic. It may be a tough sell to some folks even though it's already happened on other roads.

MATraveler128

When I-95 in Rhode Island is converted, I wonder what the new exit numbers will be. I’d imagine that Providence would be just alphabet soup, but also, what will become of the old center tabbed gantry on the MA/RI border? Also, the I-195 Wikipedia page shows that the 95/195 exit will become 36. Is Wikipedia just jumping the gun here?
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

bob7374

Quote from: BlueOutback7 on February 08, 2022, 09:52:10 AM
When I-95 in Rhode Island is converted, I wonder what the new exit numbers will be. I'd imagine that Providence would be just alphabet soup, but also, what will become of the old center tabbed gantry on the MA/RI border? Also, the I-195 Wikipedia page shows that the 95/195 exit will become 36. Is Wikipedia just jumping the gun here?
RIDOT's exit list has the I-195 exit NB at Mile 36, however SB it is at Mile 37, so it could be 36 or 37. (Their I-195 list is still sequential, 2 years after conversion, probably same person responsible for updating it as their Exit Renumbering project page that still says I-95 conversion will start in late 2020).

The Ghostbuster

Regardless of how long it takes to convert 95's exits to mileage-based, or how much money it costs, or how many arms have to be twisted, JUST GET IT DONE! RIDOT has procrastinated long enough.

roadman

Quote from: bob7374 on February 07, 2022, 11:08:01 PM
Quote from: abqtraveler on February 07, 2022, 10:43:15 PM

The winning bid was $925,503.75. That doesn't sound to me like sign replacement, just overlays. Most of the I-95 signage in the Providence area anyway is quite recent. To compare against a true sign and support replacement contract, the project cost of I-95 sign replacement for 11 exits between Attleboro and Norwood is $6,238,931.37.
The I-95 exit renumbering is principally overlays.  However, I understand that, due to their age and condition, there are a handful of support structures that will be replaced as well, with totally new panels installed on them.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Ted$8roadFan

I actually think RI has done a decent job with replacing its signs, including the exit numbers on the other highways. Why it took so long to do so on the most important highway in the state is a little confusing.

Great Lakes Roads

This looks promising...

What's Next?
RIDOT will finalize its renumbering program with I-95. That is tentatively scheduled for 2022.

The Ghostbuster

I hope it finally happens, though I won't hold my breath. If it really happens, I will scream "HAZZAH!"

The Ghostbuster

Wikipedia's "Interstate 95 in Rhode Island"  page has been updated to show the new mileage-based exit numbers, and says the conversion will finally happen this year: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_95. Is this accurate?

MATraveler128

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on March 27, 2022, 06:44:42 PM
Wikipedia's "Interstate 95 in Rhode Island"  page has been updated to show the new mileage-based exit numbers, and says the conversion will finally happen this year: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_95. Is this accurate?

I can't find anything on RIDOT's site about it. The last update was back when I-195 was renumbered. In their plan, the project should be done by next April. My guess is that it won't start until the fall.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: BlueOutback7 on March 27, 2022, 06:53:40 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on March 27, 2022, 06:44:42 PM

I can't find anything on RIDOT's site about it. The last update was back when I-195 was renumbered. In their plan, the project should be done by next April. My guess is that it won't start until the fall.

Hopefully the user who updated the Wikipedia page is someone in the know.

I suspect the 95 renumbering might be more involved than the other already-updated roads when it dies happen. 95 is RI's Main Street and the most crowded, especially in warmer weather; Rhode Islanders are resistant to change, even though this is a long time coming, and many exits are close together. Those "Old Exit"  signs had better be spotless.

Great Lakes Roads

Someone who I know from Discord sent me a copy of some of the signage plans on I-95 for the new mileage-based exit numbers.

Here's what I know from looking at it personally:
Exits 9 and 8 on southbound I-95 will be renumbered to exits 24B and 24A respectively.
Exits 11 and 12 on northbound I-95 will be renumbered to exits 28A and 28B respectively.
Exits 12B-A on southbound I-95 will be renumbered to exits 28C-A and 28B respectively. 28C will go to R.I. 113 West towards Warwick, and 28A will go to I-295 north to R.I. 2 north. Exit 28B will go to R.I. 113 east to R.I. 5.
Exits 19 and 20 will be renumbered to exits 36A-B respectively.
Exit 21 will be renumbered to exit 37A.
Exit 22 will be renumbered to exits 37B-C-D.
Exit 23 on northbound I-95 will be renumbered to exits 38A-B.
Exit 25 on northbound I-95 will be renumbered to exits 39B-C. Southbound I-95's exit 25 will be renumbered to exit 39B.
Exits 27 and 28 on northbound I-95 will be renumbered to exits 41A-B.

As far as signage goes, all of the gore signs and almost all of the exit tabs will be replaced, the overhead signs that don't have an exit number will also be replaced, and they will be replacing all of the overhead signs from exit 23 (future exits 37B-C-D) up to exit 28 (future exit 41). Oh, and the sign with the "NO EXIT 17" on northbound I-95 will be removed.

bob7374

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on March 27, 2022, 08:11:43 PM
Someone who I know from Discord sent me a copy of some of the signage plans on I-95 for the new mileage-based exit numbers.

Here's what I know from looking at it personally:
Exits 9 and 8 on southbound I-95 will be renumbered to exits 24B and 24A respectively.
Exits 11 and 12 on northbound I-95 will be renumbered to exits 28A and 28B respectively.
Exits 12B-A on southbound I-95 will be renumbered to exits 28C-A and 28B respectively. 28C will go to R.I. 113 West towards Warwick, and 28A will go to I-295 north to R.I. 2 north. Exit 28B will go to R.I. 113 east to R.I. 5.
Exits 19 and 20 will be renumbered to exits 36A-B respectively.
Exit 21 will be renumbered to exit 37A.
Exit 22 will be renumbered to exits 37B-C-D.
Exit 23 on northbound I-95 will be renumbered to exits 38A-B.
Exit 25 on northbound I-95 will be renumbered to exits 39B-C. Southbound I-95's exit 25 will be renumbered to exit 39B.
Exits 27 and 28 on northbound I-95 will be renumbered to exits 41A-B.

As far as signage goes, all of the gore signs and almost all of the exit tabs will be replaced, the overhead signs that don't have an exit number will also be replaced, and they will be replacing all of the overhead signs from exit 23 (future exits 37B-C-D) up to exit 28 (future exit 41). Oh, and the sign with the "NO EXIT 17" on northbound I-95 will be removed.
These seem to match up with the exit numbers listed on Wikipedia, do all the numbers you have from your plans do so?

Great Lakes Roads

https://www.dot.ri.gov/projects/exitnumbers/?ipid=promo-link-block1

The website has been updated to reflect the "new" exit numbers on Interstate 95. It's about time!  :clap:

jp the roadgeek

One little nuance that kind of drives me crazy.  RIDOT got it right with the 36's Southbound by keeping it consistent and making 195 36A and Eddy St 36B to keep them consistent with the northbound numbers, even though A comes before B heading south.  But why did they break that with 28 by making 295 28A northbound and 28B southbound; and making 113 East 28B northbound and 28A southbound?  Just a lack of consistency. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on July 13, 2022, 02:38:30 AM
One little nuance that kind of drives me crazy.  RIDOT got it right with the 36's Southbound by keeping it consistent and making 195 36A and Eddy St 36B to keep them consistent with the northbound numbers, even though A comes before B heading south.  But why did they break that with 28 by making 295 28A northbound and 28B southbound; and making 113 East 28B northbound and 28A southbound?  Just a lack of consistency.

if I had to guess, the 295/RI 113 W ramp comes before the RI 113E ramp on 95 south. As for consistency....I'm not sure.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.