News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Maryland

Started by Alps, May 22, 2011, 12:10:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Verlanka

Quote from: dlsterner on September 30, 2020, 12:23:16 AM
Quote from: epzik8 on September 29, 2020, 08:42:26 PM
Back in June, the State Highway Administration removed the sign for MD 132 and US 40 on APG Road at the turn just before the traffic signal. On Sunday of last week, I was walking toward the pedestrian bridge over the Northeast Region and saw it lying on the ground behind the bus shelter:
image cropped

So is it now yours?   :bigass:
Quote from: Alps on September 29, 2020, 09:38:17 PM
Back in June, the State Highway Administration removed the sign for MD 132 and US 40 on APG Road at the turn just before the traffic signal. On Sunday of last week, I was walking toward the pedestrian bridge over the Northeast Region and saw it lying on the ground behind the bus shelter and now it is on my wall
Hint: read the red text. ;-)

BrianP

Quote from: BrianP on June 10, 2020, 12:40:58 PM
A drive through of the not yet open exit 12:
https://www.reddit.com/r/MontgomeryCountyMD/comments/h09qpq/driving_the_new_watkins_mill_interchange_bridge/

Now it is expected to open tomorrow.

It's interesting how two of the signals use mast arms and the third uses wire hung.

Aside: The signal at MD 118 and Middlebrook Road is being changed from wire hung to mast arm.
I saw that the temporary signals have been replaced already with the permanent mast arm signals.

DeaconG

Quote from: Verlanka on September 30, 2020, 05:54:10 AM
Back in June, the State Highway Administration removed the sign for MD 132 and US 40 on APG Road at the turn just before the traffic signal. On Sunday of last week, I was walking toward the pedestrian bridge over the Northeast Region and saw it lying on the ground behind the bus shelter:
image cropped

Quote from: Alps on September 29, 2020, 09:38:17 PM
Back in June, the State Highway Administration removed the sign for MD 132 and US 40 on APG Road at the turn just before the traffic signal. On Sunday of last week, I was walking toward the pedestrian bridge over the Northeast Region and saw it lying on the ground behind the bus shelter and now it is on my wall
Hint: read the red text. ;-)
Finders Keepers, baby! Nice save!
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

epzik8

No, I didn't take the chance.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

epzik8

This might be the last time I have taken a picture of these signs in Aberdeen, as the traffic signal is being replaced:

noelbotevera

I swear the signs on I-68 are older than other interstate signage across the state (except east of Cumberland). I wouldn't be surprised if some signs were there when this was US 48 or at least date to the 1991 redesignation; it seems MD hasn't done button copy in ages, so I guess smaller text is my intuition that the signs are old.

And like any old alignment there's a surprising amount of remnants when MD 144/old US 40 was the main road. None of the divided highway segments have been removed (ex. east of exit 46/47 (US 220)) and there's businesses like a rusting US 40 Motel thing dating to the glory days. Also notable is a lookout on old US 40 near Sideling Hill, where the signage and structures definitely date to pre-1985.

This was inspired on a trip to Mt. Davis in PA for fall foliage, where I took a mix of MD 144/US 40 Alt and I-68. I've now covered most of 144 between Hancock and Cumberland, and bits of 40 Alt west of Frostburg (most notably the Casselman River Bridge).
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

Bitmapped

Quote from: noelbotevera on October 11, 2020, 05:13:21 PM
I swear the signs on I-68 are older than other interstate signage across the state (except east of Cumberland). I wouldn't be surprised if some signs were there when this was US 48 or at least date to the 1991 redesignation; it seems MD hasn't done button copy in ages, so I guess smaller text is my intuition that the signs are old.

Maryland is all over the place with text sizing on its BGS. That doesn't really have anything to do with the age of the sign.

SHA has done a full overhaul of brown attraction signage along I-68 in the past 18 months or so. There was also recently a major sign replacement near Cumberland that included replacing overhead sign bridges. I travel the full length of the route several times a year and am hard pressed to think of anything left now that looks really dated or in need of replacement.

Also notable is a lookout on old US 40 near Sideling Hill, where the signage and structures definitely date to pre-1985.

Scenic 40 over Sideling Hill is a county-maintained route. Washington County is responsible for those signs, not SHA. County route signage quality in Maryland is often variable, especially in rural areas.

MASTERNC

Quote from: Bitmapped on October 11, 2020, 07:50:17 PM

Maryland is all over the place with text sizing on its BGS. That doesn't really have anything to do with the age of the sign.

SHA has done a full overhaul of brown attraction signage along I-68 in the past 18 months or so. There was also recently a major sign replacement near Cumberland that included replacing overhead sign bridges. I travel the full length of the route several times a year and am hard pressed to think of anything left now that looks really dated or in need of replacement.

Also notable is a lookout on old US 40 near Sideling Hill, where the signage and structures definitely date to pre-1985.

Scenic 40 over Sideling Hill is a county-maintained route. Washington County is responsible for those signs, not SHA. County route signage quality in Maryland is often variable, especially in rural areas.

Think there is one BGS sign EB near Exit 19 without an exit number, almost from when it wasn't an Interstate.

Bitmapped

Quote from: MASTERNC on October 12, 2020, 11:18:53 PM
Quote from: Bitmapped on October 11, 2020, 07:50:17 PM

Think there is one BGS sign EB near Exit 19 without an exit number, almost from when it wasn't an Interstate.

Yes, the 1-mile sign eastbound for MD 495 lacks an exit tab. The rest of the sequence has them, and the legend of the sign is just "1 Mile" rather than "Exit 1 Mile" so it's clear this one was intended to have the exit tab as well.

MASTERNC

So a project is starting to improve the intersection of White Marsh Blvd and Honeygo Blvd just off I-95 in the Baltimore area.  Right now, the light is subject to significant congestion due to the shopping center.  The project includes third left turn lanes in two approaches.

Sadly, they are not putting in an interchange like they did just off I-95 in Bel Air.  To me, an interchange is sorely needed.

https://mdot-sha-md43-intrs-at-honeygo-blvd-ba9035176-maryland.hub.arcgis.com/

TheOneKEA

Quote from: MASTERNC on October 13, 2020, 08:11:07 PM
So a project is starting to improve the intersection of White Marsh Blvd and Honeygo Blvd just off I-95 in the Baltimore area.  Right now, the light is subject to significant congestion due to the shopping center.  The project includes third left turn lanes in two approaches.

Sadly, they are not putting in an interchange like they did just off I-95 in Bel Air.  To me, an interchange is sorely needed.

https://mdot-sha-md43-intrs-at-honeygo-blvd-ba9035176-maryland.hub.arcgis.com/

All of MD 43 between I-695 and I-95 needs to be fully grade separated, and the roadway itself upgraded with proper outside shoulders. It has outgrown its original intended purpose and needs to be equipped with the road features needed for traffic to flow properly.

froggie

Three things complicating an interchange at 43/Honeygo:

• Proximity to the 43/95 interchange
  • Proximity of Marissa Ct
  • The high tension power lines along the south side of 43 there

#1 means you either need all the ramps on the west side of Honeygo, or you'd need a complex and costly bridged ramp solution.
#2 means any ramps in the northwest corner would require right-of-way acquisition.
#3 all but guarantees that 43 would have to be bridged over Honeygo.  It would also complicate ramp placement along eastbound 43.

MASTERNC

Looks like the viaduct north of the Harbor Tunnel is getting closer to completion.  Traffic will be shifted back onto the southbound side (newly completed) so final work can be finished on the northbound side.

https://mdta.maryland.gov/blog-category/mdta-traffic-advisories/upcoming-bridge-traffic-switch-moves-895bmore-replacement

cpzilliacus

Quote from: MASTERNC on October 28, 2020, 09:06:14 PM
Looks like the viaduct north of the Harbor Tunnel is getting closer to completion.  Traffic will be shifted back onto the southbound side (newly completed) so final work can be finished on the northbound side.

https://mdta.maryland.gov/blog-category/mdta-traffic-advisories/upcoming-bridge-traffic-switch-moves-895bmore-replacement

For the few that care, the reconstructed ramp from I-895 northbound to Holabird Avenue will also be closed while all I-895 traffic is using (what will be) the southbound side of the reconstructed Canton Viaduct.

More details from the MDTA via MDOT: UPCOMING BRIDGE TRAFFIC SWITCH MOVES #895BMORE REPLACEMENT PROJECT CLOSER TO COMPLETION Maryland Department of Transportation sent this bulletin at 10/28/2020 09:05 AM EDT

Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Bitmapped

Quote from: Bitmapped on October 13, 2020, 12:24:01 AM
Quote from: MASTERNC on October 12, 2020, 11:18:53 PM

Yes, the 1-mile sign eastbound for MD 495 lacks an exit tab. The rest of the sequence has them, and the legend of the sign is just "1 Mile" rather than "Exit 1 Mile" so it's clear this one was intended to have the exit tab as well.

I contacted SHA about the missing tab. They said they looked through their records and couldn't find that the sign ever did have a tab, although they acknowledged it is non-standard and should. They said they will fix it at some point in the future, but that they can't right now because their sign budget got cut.

cpzilliacus

WTOP Radio: "˜Disaster': Prince George's Co. leader decries latest delay for decadeslong road project

QuoteThe intersection of Maryland Route 4 (Pennsylvania Avenue) at the Suitland Parkway is plagued by traffic congestion that only promises to worsen with added area development.

Quote"This has been a disaster,"  Prince George's County Councilman Derrick L. Davis said of the project, pausing between each syllable of the word "disaster"  for added emphasis.

QuoteDavis said the project concept extends back to March 1996. It moved through environmental assessment in 2000, planning was done in 2004, design plans completed in 2007, and construction was scheduled to start in 2008. The new intersection was supposed to be ready for traffic by 2011.

QuoteThe timeline for completion now is projected to be the fall of 2023, according to the Maryland Department of Transportation's State Highway Administration website that said the project is 30% done.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

epzik8

Quote from: epzik8 on October 09, 2020, 11:09:50 PM
This might be the last time I have taken a picture of these signs in Aberdeen, as the traffic signal is being replaced:

As of yesterday the span wires are gone and the mast arms are operational.

Mapmikey

Quote from: froggie on October 14, 2020, 12:07:13 PM
Three things complicating an interchange at 43/Honeygo:

• Proximity to the 43/95 interchange
  • Proximity of Marissa Ct
  • The high tension power lines along the south side of 43 there

#1 means you either need all the ramps on the west side of Honeygo, or you'd need a complex and costly bridged ramp solution.
#2 means any ramps in the northwest corner would require right-of-way acquisition.
#3 all but guarantees that 43 would have to be bridged over Honeygo.  It would also complicate ramp placement along eastbound 43.

Perhaps an interchange like US 29 and Rio Rd in Charlottesville would work here with MD 43 using bridges and the through lanes being on the outside instead of inside, so that the I-95 interchange can be reached from Honeygo without weaving.  Can even be done this way with Honeygo having just 1 signal in the interchange.

Not sure if there is enough ROW between the power lines and the residential areas to do this either.

epzik8

I was watching a video on YouTube of The Weather Channel's coverage of severe weather in the Mid-Atlantic in 2001, and on a map of the Washington, DC area they had I-595 marked:

Google Maps also acknowledges it, although it's unmarked.

noelbotevera

What's up with the abandoned roads in Leakin Park?

Wetheredsville Road was cut off at this point. It paralleled Gwynns Falls down to Franklintown Road; the intersection with Windsor Mills Road remains intact.

The same story can be made for Hutton Avenue (this is its abandoned intersection with Wetheredsville), Chesholm Road (plus an abandoned sign) and Holly Avenue. I don't think this has to do with crime in Leakin Park, because most body dumping occurs along Windsor Mills and Franklintown Roads. Perhaps it relates to preparing to build I-70?

Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

cpzilliacus

Quote from: noelbotevera on December 17, 2020, 02:50:02 PM
What's up with the abandoned roads in Leakin Park?

Wetheredsville Road was cut off at this point. It paralleled Gwynns Falls down to Franklintown Road; the intersection with Windsor Mills Road remains intact.

The same story can be made for Hutton Avenue (this is its abandoned intersection with Wetheredsville), Chesholm Road (plus an abandoned sign) and Holly Avenue. I don't think this has to do with crime in Leakin Park, because most body dumping occurs along Windsor Mills and Franklintown Roads. Perhaps it relates to preparing to build I-70?

My guess is that Baltimore City does not have the dollars to maintain them, and decided to close them to all traffic instead. 

MillTheRoadgeek

Who here has seen the MD 210 construction at Kerby Hill/Livingston? Been going a bit slow, but the bridge is getting in place. Mesmerizing how sound walls have been underway since 2017.

D-Dey65

In the event that Doug Kerr is reading this, where along US 301 in Maryland was this image taken?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dougtone/4133049903/

1995hoo

Quote from: D-Dey65 on January 10, 2021, 11:19:52 AM
In the event that Doug Kerr is reading this, where along US 301 in Maryland was this image taken?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dougtone/4133049903/

Looks like the northbound lanes on the Eastern Shore just shy of Route 304. Note the interchange there is reasonably new and was likely built more recently than the picture was taken, seeing as how the photo is dated March 2005. Maryland didn't have many roundabouts then and the interchange with Route 304 has two of them, which indicates it's more recent construction.

I would guess it was roughly here. If you click up the exit ramp, you'll see a park-and-ride logo on an LGS under the sign for westbound Route 304, then a brown sign further up the ramp.

https://goo.gl/maps/kVPsVdQ14rQpPdMR7

Edited to add: The park-and-ride appears to be a very small lot on Tidewater Drive on the northwestern side of that interchange.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

epzik8

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.