News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

North Carolina

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VTGoose

Quote from: sparker on August 29, 2021, 09:17:52 PM

Re the requirement for freight companies to offer passenger service; you're a hair over 50 years too late for that -- that very condition was the catalyst for Amtrak to begin with.  The freight RR's (this was mostly pre-merger) were bleeding money from the late '50's through most of the '60's, and by about 1967 had already cut back their passenger service to the absolute minimum, since this was a substantial component of their red ink.

The decline in passenger service (funded fully by the railroads) was hastened by federal investment in highway improvements, specifically the interstate highway system, and the air traffic control system that allowed for the expansion of air travel (aided by state and local government investment of tax dollars in airports). Railroads got nothing in any of the deals; it took until the '80s for tight regulation of their rates and operations to be dropped. Perhaps if there was investment in rail and an earlier relaxation of rules, we would still have a more-viable passenger rail system.

Bruce in Blacksburg
"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

sparker

Quote from: VTGoose on August 30, 2021, 11:18:36 AM

Re the requirement for freight companies to offer passenger service; you're a hair over 50 years too late for that -- that very condition was the catalyst for Amtrak to begin with.  The freight RR's (this was mostly pre-merger) were bleeding money from the late '50's through most of the '60's, and by about 1967 had already cut back their passenger service to the absolute minimum, since this was a substantial component of their red ink.

The decline in passenger service (funded fully by the railroads) was hastened by federal investment in highway improvements, specifically the interstate highway system, and the air traffic control system that allowed for the expansion of air travel (aided by state and local government investment of tax dollars in airports). Railroads got nothing in any of the deals; it took until the '80s for tight regulation of their rates and operations to be dropped. Perhaps if there was investment in rail and an earlier relaxation of rules, we would still have a more-viable passenger rail system.

Bruce in Blacksburg

A large-scale public investment in rail wouldn't have even been considered up until the inception of Amtrak; since (a) they were privately owned, even the passenger-heavy Northeast Corridor (at the time part of the Pennsylvania Railroad/"PRR"), and (b) highly regulated re freight rates to provide a barrier to regional monopoly, which was viewed as the maximum extent of federal involvement.  It wasn't until passenger service, long identified as a public good, was in jeopardy, in part due to the factors cited in the post above, that there was anything like active federal involvement in the rail network.  Of course, in 1980 the Staggers Act (named after its author, Representative Harley O. Staggers [D-WV]) largely deregulated the rail lines, resulting in a series of major mergers over the ensuing few years.  The rail system as it exists today is a product of that action.   

tjcreasy

Quote from: VTGoose on August 30, 2021, 11:18:36 AM

Bruce in Blacksburg

:clap: :clap:

cowboy_wilhelm

The NCDOT has awarded a design-build contract to widen I-40 between I-85 and US 15/501 in Orange County. The project also includes a temporary change to the westbound exit for 15/501 (Exit 270) to eliminate the left lane drop and have the right lane exit.

Award Letter

I would dance if I knew how.

LM117

Quote from: cowboy_wilhelm on August 31, 2021, 07:55:58 AM
The NCDOT has awarded a design-build contract to widen I-40 between I-85 and US 15/501 in Orange County. The project also includes a temporary change to the westbound exit for 15/501 (Exit 270) to eliminate the left lane drop and have the right lane exit.

Award Letter

I would dance if I knew how.

NCDOT press release:

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2021/2021-09-01-i-40-widening-orange-county.aspx
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

sprjus4

^

QuoteIt will also mean drivers will have at least three lanes in either direction of I-40 between Johnston and Guilford counties.
I-40 will now be at least 6 lanes between Raleigh and Greensboro

And looking at a bigger picture - the I-40/I-85 corridor combined will be at least 6 lanes between Raleigh and Greenville, SC (pending completion of widening between Spartanburg, SC and NC) - almost 300 miles in length.

cowboy_wilhelm

Quote from: sprjus4 on September 01, 2021, 01:49:19 PM
^

QuoteIt will also mean drivers will have at least three lanes in either direction of I-40 between Johnston and Guilford counties.

And looking at a bigger picture - the I-40/I-85 corridor combined will be at least 6 lanes between Raleigh and Greenville, SC (pending completion of widening between Spartanburg, SC and NC) - almost 300 miles in length.

Still have the unfunded 10 mile section between SC and Kings Mountain, but close enough.

sprjus4

Quote from: cowboy_wilhelm on September 01, 2021, 03:00:20 PM
^

Still have the unfunded 10 mile section between SC and Kings Mountain, but close enough.
Actually, you are correct on that. However, at least a consistent corridor will exist between Raleigh and Charlotte. Obviously, the long term goal is a 6+ lane interstate highway between Raleigh and Atlanta, GA, once South Carolina begins the remaining portion south towards Georgia, and then Georgia's ongoing projects towards South Carolina.

ARMOURERERIC

There had been multiple interchange improvements planned for I40 in the Morganton area that were delayed, but it seems we are past the delayed date.  How can I find the current planned dates?

Thanks.

froggie

^

Not entirely.  The design plans I saw last year had westbound 40 dropping to 2 lanes before it merges with 85.

sprjus4

Quote from: froggie on September 01, 2021, 09:29:43 PM
^

Not entirely.  The design plans I saw last year had westbound 40 dropping to 2 lanes before it merges with 85.
It's an interchange area, so naturally lanes may drop briefly. However, outside of there, it would be 3 lanes in each direction at minimum.

cowboy_wilhelm

Quote from: sprjus4 on September 02, 2021, 01:16:54 AM
^

It’s an interchange area, so naturally lanes may drop briefly. However, outside of there, it would be 3 lanes in each direction at minimum.

This will prove to be a trouble spot. It's already a frustrating area as everyone gets in the left lane three miles before the merge onto I-85, even though there is ample space to merge from the second lane at I-85. Tractor-trailers are the worst since they can't take the curve quite as fast as the four-wheelers would like. No one uses the exit from I-40 WB to I-85 NB (a whopping 100 vehicles in 2019 AADT), so all traffic will be squeezing from three lanes to two. The same logic will apply here where everyone moves over three miles before the lane exits. Not sure how the traffic forecast supported this, but I guess they really didn't want to widen that bridge.

They are starting the third lane for I-40 eastbound a short distance before the split. That should help some there. Now, if people can just figure out that it takes more gas to go up that hill instead of putt-putting along until they've dropped to 50 mph.

https://connect.ncdot.gov/letting/Design%20Build%20Program/I-3306A/02-23-2021%20I-3306A%20I-85_I-40%20Split%20Exit%20163%20Lane%20Configuration.pdf

cowboy_wilhelm

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on September 01, 2021, 06:13:38 PM
There had been multiple interchange improvements planned for I40 in the Morganton area that were delayed, but it seems we are past the delayed date.  How can I find the current planned dates?

Thanks.

They are still in the STIP, but they have been delayed until 2029 or later. I was disappointed and surprised about the US 64 interchange being delayed that long.

This should take you to a map of current STIP projects. https://ncdot.maps.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewer.html?webmap=cb02f4f828974670ad01bb83be91b18c

NCDOT was supposed to release draft scores for the next STIP at the end of August....

Dirt Roads

^

Quote from: sprjus4 on September 02, 2021, 01:16:54 AM
It's an interchange area, so naturally lanes may drop briefly. However, outside of there, it would be 3 lanes in each direction at minimum.

Quote from: cowboy_wilhelm on September 02, 2021, 08:15:09 AM
This will prove to be a trouble spot. It's already a frustrating area as everyone gets in the left lane three miles before the merge onto I-85, even though there is ample space to merge from the second lane at I-85. Tractor-trailers are the worst since they can't take the curve quite as fast as the four-wheelers would like. No one uses the exit from I-40 WB to I-85 NB (a whopping 100 vehicles in 2019 AADT), so all traffic will be squeezing from three lanes to two. The same logic will apply here where everyone moves over three miles before the lane exits. Not sure how the traffic forecast supported this, but I guess they really didn't want to widen that bridge.

They are starting the third lane for I-40 eastbound a short distance before the split. That should help some there. Now, if people can just figure out that it takes more gas to go up that hill instead of putt-putting along until they've dropped to 50 mph.

https://connect.ncdot.gov/letting/Design%20Build%20Program/I-3306A/02-23-2021%20I-3306A%20I-85_I-40%20Split%20Exit%20163%20Lane%20Configuration.pdf

One of the issues here is the crazy interweaving of folks headed to Exit 160 (Efland).  Understandably, Efland traffic on I-85 tends to work its way across the I-40 traffic into the right lanes.  But it is typical for Efland traffic on I-40 to work their way left into the middle lane from I-85 in order to pass truck traffic on the upgrade in the approach to Exit 161.  All this is worsened by folks from I-40 who (mistakenly) think they can make use of the lane drop to pass traffic on the right.  Even with all of this craziness, the merge works pretty well even when both I-40 and I-85 are saturated westbound.  This will certainly get worse once I-40 widened.

Third Strike

Quote from: cowboy_wilhelm on September 02, 2021, 08:19:19 AM

Thanks.

They are still in the STIP, but they have been delayed until 2029 or later. I was disappointed and surprised about the US 64 interchange being delayed that long.

This should take you to a map of current STIP projects. https://ncdot.maps.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewer.html?webmap=cb02f4f828974670ad01bb83be91b18c

NCDOT was supposed to release draft scores for the next STIP at the end of August....

Yeah, I was hoping the list and scores would be released by now...

cowboy_wilhelm

Quote from: Third Strike on September 03, 2021, 10:16:33 AM
Quote from: cowboy_wilhelm on September 02, 2021, 08:19:19 AM

Thanks.

Yeah, I was hoping the list and scores would be released by now...

It's looking like it may not happen, or at least no new projects will be added. From the August Board of Transportation meeting minutes:

Chairman Fox asked Leigh Wing, STIP Eastern Region Manager and Jason Schronce, Strategic Prioritization Office Manager to provide an update on Strategic Prioritization (SPOT) and State Transportation Improvement Program (STIP). Ms. Wing reviewed information provided at the two previous Board meetings. Ms. Wing reviewed 450 projects have been identified to be updated which equates to over 1,000 estimates for the various phases needing updating. She reviewed again that, as a result of those updated estimates, most of the 22 funding buckets are substantially overprogrammed. [emphasis added] As a reminder, she shared that the current STIP is 2020-2029. The next draft of the STIP (2024-2033) is scheduled for release December 2022. September 2023 is the targeted timeframe that the board will be asked to consider the STIP (2024-2033). She then turned it over to Jason to give an update on the P6.0 Workgroup. Mr. Schronce came forward to provide an update on the recent July 19th P6.0 Workgroup meeting. He shared the meeting focused on the four major questions that were presented in last month's Board meeting. Mr. Schronce shared the recommendation from the Workgroup to halt P6.0 after quantitative scoring and not proceed with the planned local input point process. Stopping the P6.0 schedule means that projects in the future 2024-2033 STIP would only be comprised from those in the existing 2020-2029 STIP. [emphasis added] Mr. Schronce shared several main points with members.

• The SPOT Office continues to finalize P6.0 quantitative scores and will provide them to the planning partners for guidance on future project submittals.
  • The P6.0 Workgroup plans to meet monthly for the remainder of the year to develop recommendations for balancing and scheduling of the future 2024-2033 STIP. Throughout the process, Mr. Schronce stated he would continue to update the Board on the group's progress.

So, long story short, if I remember everything correctly... the General Assembly wanted more highway projects completed. NCDOT said OK. NCDOT said we'll have this money in our budget, no problem. NCDOT programs a bunch of new projects for the next decade. Hurricanes Matthew and Florence happen, causing hundreds of millions in damage. Other major storm events happen across the state. The Map Act lawsuit was settled and NCDOT had to pay out a billion dollars in claims. Then COVID happened and everyone stopped driving, nearly eliminating their gas tax revenue. Now inflation is through the roof and the cost estimates for projects are going up, up and up.

architect77

Quote from: sprjus4 on September 01, 2021, 04:52:26 PM
Quote from: cowboy_wilhelm on September 01, 2021, 03:00:20 PM
^

Actually, you are correct on that. However, at least a consistent corridor will exist between Raleigh and Charlotte. Obviously, the long term goal is a 6+ lane interstate highway between Raleigh and Atlanta, GA, once South Carolina begins the remaining portion south towards Georgia, and then Georgia's ongoing projects towards South Carolina.

As far as I know Georgia has no stated plans to widen I-85 from its newest section, West of Commerce to the SC line. And with Atlanta's express lanes being built over the next 15 years, it will be a long time before GDOT takes on another big project of this scale. They don't tackle more than one big project at a time, so for the next 20 years forget I-85 widening to SC

Dirt Roads

Tight squeeze in downtown Durham early this morning.
https://www.wral.com/truck-removed-from-railroad-bridge-in-downtown-durham/19864021/

Not nearly as famous as the 11-foot-8 (plus 8) Gregson Street canopener railroad overpass just west of Downtown Durham, but perhaps more imposing South Roxboro Street railroad overpass for Business US-15/US-501 northbound at the east edge of Downtown.  Although this bridge is still on the North Carolina Rail Road corridor, it was originally owned and maintained by the Seaboard Air Line (later SCL and now CSX Transportation).  Some 15 years ago or so, NCRR was trying to get control of the CSXT bridges in downtown Durham as there was little or no CSX traffic remaining on the trackage through downtown.  Not sure whatever became of that effort. 

Anywhoosit, this concrete structure has a posted clearance of 11-foot-4 on a major arterial into downtown.  Good thing that you can pull out the valve stems to get out of this one.

snowc

Quote from: Dirt Roads on September 08, 2021, 09:29:21 AM
https://www.wral.com/truck-removed-from-railroad-bridge-in-downtown-durham/19864021/

Not nearly as famous as the 11-foot-8 (plus 8) Gregson Street canopener railroad overpass just west of Downtown Durham, but perhaps more imposing South Roxboro Street railroad overpass for Business US-15/US-501 northbound at the east edge of Downtown.  Although this bridge is still on the North Carolina Rail Road corridor, it was originally owned and maintained by the Seaboard Air Line (later SCL and now CSX Transportation).  Some 15 years ago or so, NCRR was trying to get control of the CSXT bridges in downtown Durham as there was little or no CSX traffic remaining on the trackage through downtown.  Not sure whatever became of that effort. 

Anywhoosit, this concrete structure has a posted clearance of 11-foot-4 on a major arterial into downtown.  Good thing that you can pull out the valve stems to get out of this one.
Fun fact for people who want to know where this actually goes to.
SCL used to own the Dunn Erwin Railroad from 1903-1969, where it was acquired by Durham and Southern. DS sold that railroad to CSX, while the Dunn-Erwin RR became a part of Aberdeen and Rockfish from 1985-2000, where they dismantled it. Dunn-Durham was abandoned in 1987 and removed tracks in 1999.  :wow:
It took an HOUR+ for cars to pass through the railroad and get on 421 from NC 217.
My grandmother said to take 17th st to Old Stage RD S to get to Lillington.  :cool:

74/171FAN

I may have too many commitments for my planned RDU Meet to consider including these bridges, but I should at least include them as places to check out.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: snowc on September 08, 2021, 10:58:15 AM
SCL used to own the Dunn Erwin Railroad from 1903-1969, where it was acquired by Durham and Southern. DS sold that railroad to CSX, while the Dunn-Erwin RR became a part of Aberdeen and Rockfish from 1985-2000, where they dismantled it. Dunn-Durham was abandoned in 1987 and removed tracks in 1999.  :wow:

Good info, but not quite where this bridge is located.  The "mainline" NCRR tracks through downtown Durham were also part of the Duke Belt Line, which once wrapped around the west side of downtown.  When there were as many as four or five tracks in this area, the northernmost were part of the Seaboard (Duke Belt Line) and the southernmost were part of Southern (NCRR).  You can still see the Southern Railway brass emblem mounted on the left side of the bridge.  There was a Seaboard logo on the other side back when I last looked, and it may still be there now.  CSXT no longer operates here, but they do have trackage rights just east of here between the Durham & Northern subdivision (parallel to Fayetteville Street) and the Durham & Southern subdivision (which comes off of NS' East Durham Yard).  There was also a former branch off of the Durham & Southern that came right up through the American Tobacco plant (almost perpendicular to Blackwell Street) and ended at Pettigrew Street (technically, a level below the NCRR "mainline").

snowc

Quote from: Dirt Roads on September 08, 2021, 03:21:19 PM

Good info, but not quite where this bridge is located.  The "mainline" NCRR tracks through downtown Durham were also part of the Duke Belt Line, which once wrapped around the west side of downtown.  When there were as many as four or five tracks in this area, the northernmost were part of the Seaboard (Duke Belt Line) and the southernmost were part of Southern (NCRR).  You can still see the Southern Railway brass emblem mounted on the left side of the bridge.  There was a Seaboard logo on the other side back when I last looked, and it may still be there now.  CSXT no longer operates here, but they do have trackage rights just east of here between the Durham & Northern subdivision (parallel to Fayetteville Street) and the Durham & Southern subdivision (which comes off of NS' East Durham Yard).  There was also a former branch off of the Durham & Southern that came right up through the American Tobacco plant (almost perpendicular to Blackwell Street) and ended at Pettigrew Street (technically, a level below the NCRR "mainline").
Didnt even know that! :wow:

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Dirt Roads

Quote from: Dirt Roads on September 08, 2021, 03:21:19 PM

Quote from: snowc on September 08, 2021, 08:56:06 PM
Didnt even know that! :wow:

Oops.  The abandoned trackage into the American Tobacco complex (now the American Tobacco Trail) was actually a different railroad, the Durham and South Carolina (which was never completed into South Carolina).  That wasn't Seaboard, but rather part of the old Norfolk Southern (later Southern).  It was mostly abandoned a few years after Southern and N&W merged into the new Norfolk Southern.  This ran parallel to the Durham and Southern, rather than connecting.  There's a really cool footbridge arch over I-40 taking the American Tobacco Trail into Southpointe Mall.

snowc

NC 55 Closing Overnight 9/13 through 9/19 for NC 540 girder work
No link could be provided.
It's on a VMS going down NC 55 this afternoon.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.