News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Maryland

Started by Alps, May 22, 2011, 12:10:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mapmikey

US 301 also has them as a statewide accumulation.

99% sure US 340 has them, too.

vdeane

Quote from: tmoore952 on November 18, 2023, 10:49:44 PM
Quote from: vdeane on November 18, 2023, 09:22:44 PM
Many states have mileage for non-freeway routes reset at county lines.  Looks like Maryland is one of them.

Not true for US 50 (eastern section), US 13, or US 15, all of which I have been on in the last four months. The mileposts are cumulative for the entire state. US 13 and US 50 cross county lines within the state (US 15 does not).

With the exception of US 1 (see below), I haven't been on the other US routes (US 11 or farther west, the (very short) sections of US 222 or US 522, or US 40 where it is not multiplexed with I-70) recently enough to definitively say.

As mentioned in another post I made, US 1 north of Baltimore generally does not have mileposts with the exception of the 8 (or so) miles of the Bel Air bypass. What is occurring here is an exception, not the rule.
I said mileage, not mileposts.  Those other examples are all limited-access divided highways, so Maryland might be treating them like freeways in that respect.  I would wager that all state DOTs have some form of internal mileage system that they use for keeping track of things like data and capital projects, even if such is not posted or even completely divorced from what is posted.  NY does.  All our capital projects and digitized data uses a system of milepoints that reset at county lines*.  This is completely separate from the posted mile markers on routes that have them** and even the reference markers.  This makes life interesting, as Region 1 at least still uses reference markers for everything, meaning that the data needs to be translated when moving between MO and the region.  If Maryland uses such a system and for some reason decided to plop mile markers on US 1 that match it there, that could be why they are the way they are.  Now, maybe what you really wanted to know is "why did they do this?", but I didn't have reason to suspect such at the time, I was just responding to the literal question of "where did the number 3 come from?".

*I'm not sure this holds true for the Thruway, however.  That might be why they're so resistant to resigning everything to comply with the MUTCD, even after the AET conversion broke apart the ticket system.
**NY 5 on the Buffalo Skyway actually does have mileposts that match the milepoint system.  It's the only place in the state that I can think of that does, aside from coincidences with respect to routes that don't cross county lines.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Rothman

Quote from: vdeane on November 19, 2023, 03:27:53 PM
Many states have mileage for non-freeway routes reset at county lines.  Looks like Maryland is one of them.

Not true for US 50 (eastern section), US 13, or US 15, all of which I have been on in the last four months. The mileposts are cumulative for the entire state. US 13 and US 50 cross county lines within the state (US 15 does not).

With the exception of US 1 (see below), I haven't been on the other US routes (US 11 or farther west, the (very short) sections of US 222 or US 522, or US 40 where it is not multiplexed with I-70) recently enough to definitively say.

As mentioned in another post I made, US 1 north of Baltimore generally does not have mileposts with the exception of the 8 (or so) miles of the Bel Air bypass. What is occurring here is an exception, not the rule.
I said mileage, not mileposts.  Those other examples are all limited-access divided highways, so Maryland might be treating them like freeways in that respect.  I would wager that all state DOTs have some form of internal mileage system that they use for keeping track of things like data and capital projects, even if such is not posted or even completely divorced from what is posted.  NY does.  All our capital projects and digitized data uses a system of milepoints that reset at county lines*.  This is completely separate from the posted mile markers on routes that have them** and even the reference markers.  This makes life interesting, as Region 1 at least still uses reference markers for everything, meaning that the data needs to be translated when moving between MO and the region.  If Maryland uses such a system and for some reason decided to plop mile markers on US 1 that match it there, that could be why they are the way they are.  Now, maybe what you really wanted to know is "why did they do this?", but I didn't have reason to suspect such at the time, I was just responding to the literal question of "where did the number 3 come from?".

*I'm not sure this holds true for the Thruway, however.  That might be why they're so resistant to resigning everything to comply with the MUTCD, even after the AET conversion broke apart the ticket system.
**NY 5 on the Buffalo Skyway actually does have mileposts that match the milepoint system.  It's the only place in the state that I can think of that does, aside from coincidences with respect to routes that don't cross county lines.
You forgot to drop the mic.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

elsmere241

US 40 in Cecil County seems to have mileposts starting from the Harford County line.

epzik8

Quote from: elsmere241 on November 21, 2023, 09:51:44 AM
US 40 in Cecil County seems to have mileposts starting from the Harford County line.

MDTA definitely at least has them on the Hatem Bridge.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Dough4872

Quote from: epzik8 on November 23, 2023, 05:35:27 PM
Quote from: elsmere241 on November 21, 2023, 09:51:44 AM

MDTA definitely at least has them on the Hatem Bridge.

I don't recall seeing mileposts on US 40 in Cecil County besides near the Hatem Bridge.

tmoore952

Quote from: vdeane on November 19, 2023, 03:27:53 PM

I said mileage, not mileposts.  Those other examples are all limited-access divided highways, so Maryland might be treating them like freeways in that respect.  I would wager that all state DOTs have some form of internal mileage system that they use for keeping track of things like data and capital projects, even if such is not posted or even completely divorced from what is posted.

Of course. I would be surprised if any county did NOT have such a system.

My point was that the mileposts only exist in this "newer" section of road. The stretch of road where these mileposts exist is also mostly limited access (not sure about the far northern end).

I thought, since I have actually driven this road many times, that I add some info that others might not be able to.

epzik8

The new 95 express lane striping at the Big Gunpowder looks so gorgeous...

TheOneKEA

Quote from: epzik8 on December 11, 2023, 08:24:59 PM
The new 95 express lane striping at the Big Gunpowder looks so gorgeous...

I'm really looking forward to seeing how the existing northbound ETLs are tied into the new ETLs.

epzik8

Merry Christmas from the sound-barrier-in-progress on 95 south between MMs 79 and 78...

MASTERNC

Mapmikey

Quote from: MASTERNC on January 27, 2024, 03:37:11 PM
$290 fine for going 12 MPH over the speed limit from an unmanned camera (likely hidden)?  Yikes.

https://www.wrde.com/news/maryland-proposes-hefty-fines-for-speeding-in-work-zones/article_048b24c0-bc98-11ee-b211-4f70574a9e1f.html

This is the response to a work zone crash on the Baltimore Beltway in 2023 that killed 6 workers.  Note that Maryland posts which construction zones are using speed cameras.

tmoore952

Quote from: Mapmikey on January 27, 2024, 03:53:05 PM
$290 fine for going 12 MPH over the speed limit from an unmanned camera (likely hidden)?  Yikes.

https://www.wrde.com/news/maryland-proposes-hefty-fines-for-speeding-in-work-zones/article_048b24c0-bc98-11ee-b211-4f70574a9e1f.html

This is the response to a work zone crash on the Baltimore Beltway in 2023 that killed 6 workers.  Note that Maryland posts which construction zones are using speed cameras.

Also being a Maryland resident, I have no problem with this at all.

Similar to the fees for passing stopped school buses, if a high fine might get drivers to drive sensibly, so be it.

MASTERNC

Quote from: tmoore952 on January 27, 2024, 04:35:42 PM

Similar to the fees for passing stopped school buses, if a high fine might get drivers to drive sensibly, so be it.

I'd be more fine with it if it were only when workers were present and the driver (not the vehicle owner) got the citation.

tmoore952

Quote from: MASTERNC on January 27, 2024, 09:05:39 PM

I'd be more fine with it if it were only when workers were present and the driver (not the vehicle owner) got the citation.

Wasn't aware of those details. I agree with you if that is the case.

Mapmikey

all speed camera set ups everywhere that don't result in law enforcement pulling the car over send a citation to the registered owner.  It would take some serious big brothering to know who the driver actually was.

This is why these citations are fines only and no points.  The car owner can lean on the actual driver for reimbursement if necessary, but points can't be done that way.

MASTERNC

Quote from: Mapmikey on January 27, 2024, 10:35:00 PM
all speed camera set ups everywhere that don't result in law enforcement pulling the car over send a citation to the registered owner.  It would take some serious big brothering to know who the driver actually was.

This is why these citations are fines only and no points.  The car owner can lean on the actual driver for reimbursement if necessary, but points can't be done that way.

It's that way in multiple places outside the US, plus Arizona and California. Tickets there result in fines and points. Illinois' work zone cameras also photograph the driver and charge them the same as a police issued ticket (with a license suspension the second time)

epzik8

Quote from: MASTERNC on January 27, 2024, 09:05:39 PM

This is how it'd work in an ideal world...

roadman65

This one should make Highwaystar happy.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/96206174878/permalink/10162291546139879/
I-695 to Baltimore is signed via I-695 SB to I-95 NB.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

tmoore952

Quote from: roadman65 on January 28, 2024, 05:08:29 PM
I tried to view this but I do not want to join another FB group, so I did not view it.

Under the assumption the sign is on I-70 EB approaching I-695, it (sign) has been like that for a long time. You all know why you can't go straight.

roadman65

Quote from: tmoore952 on January 28, 2024, 05:23:57 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on January 28, 2024, 05:08:29 PM
I tried to view this but I do not want to join another FB group, so I did not view it.

Under the assumption the sign is on I-70 EB approaching I-695, it (sign) has been like that for a long time. You all know why you can't go straight.

Yeah, but Highwaystar has the same mentality as NJDOT where control cities can not be indirect. Lately New Jersey has to put a TO shield denoting the indirect connection. So I was trying to make a joke that failed here.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

D-Dey65

I just found this nearly two-year-old article from BBC about US 40 and the road's role in the civil rights movement;
https://www.bbc.com/travel/article/20220306-the-us-highway-that-helped-break-segregation

The article points out the fact that I-95 was built a week after Jim Crow officially ended along the road and made it so nobody has to go there anymore. However sometimes people take detours from I-95 onto US 40, and I've been one of them. And that article just gave me a new excuse to do so!

epzik8

Most of the ETLs between 24 and 152 almost look good to go. Basically all that's left is striping. New northbound street name blades have also gone up at multiple overpasses, e.g. Bradshaw and Old Joppa.

tmoore952

Quote from: D-Dey65 on February 03, 2024, 08:12:43 PM
I just found this nearly two-year-old article from BBC about US 40 and the road's role in the civil rights movement;
https://www.bbc.com/travel/article/20220306-the-us-highway-that-helped-break-segregation

The article points out the fact that I-95 was built a week after Jim Crow officially ended along the road and made it so nobody has to go there anymore. However sometimes people take detours from I-95 onto US 40, and I've been one of them. And that article just gave me a new excuse to do so!

Having grown up in Delaware, I also found this article of interest. We often took US 40 in Maryland either to avoid I-95 backups, or just to see something different since we weren't in a hurry.

However, I failed to see any mention in the article of exactly when Jim Crow laws ended along the road. Did I overlook it?

I assume that "built" (what I bolded in the above quote) should really be "opened"? (it'd be fantastic if roads could be built that quickly!)

I know that stretch of I-95 opened on Nov. 15, 1963 (one week before Kennedy's assaassination) which could be looked at as 15 days after the end of October, or 15 days before the end of November (big changes like that usually occur at calendar changes). The fact that the article says "change came almost too late for US 40" makes me think change happened at the end of November. But I failed to find any reference to this in the article, or in a quick Internet search.

D-Dey65

Quote from: tmoore952 on February 04, 2024, 01:40:11 PM
I assume that "built" (what I bolded in the above quote) should really be "opened"? (it'd be fantastic if roads could be built that quickly!)
Yeah, that was a mistake on my part. That would be great if road could be built that quickly.

Quote from: tmoore952 on February 04, 2024, 01:40:11 PM
I know that stretch of I-95 opened on Nov. 15, 1963 (one week before Kennedy's assaassination) which could be looked at as 15 days after the end of October, or 15 days before the end of November (big changes like that usually occur at calendar changes). The fact that the article says "change came almost too late for US 40" makes me think change happened at the end of November. But I failed to find any reference to this in the article, or in a quick Internet search.
My interpretation was the opposite. To me, the line "change came almost too late for US 40" makes me think Jim Crow was abolished a week before I-95 was opened.

I've taken US 40 for the same reasons as you; seeking to avoid traffic on I-95 or a change of scenery. But I also went there back in the day when I had doubts about the safety of the Millard Tydings Memorial Bridge, and when I wanted to take picture of something specific along US 40. The various restaurants and other facilities that used to discriminate against people of color makes me want to grab some pics now.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.