News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Interstate 269

Started by Chris, July 19, 2009, 11:10:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

codyg1985

That will at least give future I-22 freeway access to the Memphis interstate system.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Grzrd

I recently had some email correspondence in which a MDOT Assistant Chief Engineer confirmed that I-269 in Mississippi will have a dual designation with MS 304:

Our plan is to sign I-269/ MS 304 as a concurrent route from I-55 to the state line.

Here's Q & A with my followup question:

Q:  In the short term, the state line to MS 302 section will be open for 2-3 years before all of I-269 in Mississippi is completed to I-55.  Will that section have the dual designation during that short term time period?

A: To the best of my knowledge, yes.

On the TDOT side, I have been unsuccessful in finding out what state designation, if any, the short, new terrain TN 385 to state line section will receive in about a year (it can't be TN 385 because TN 385 makes the sharp turn back to I-240). I have only received confirmation that the relevant TN 385 section plus this short section is "Future I-269".  If the short, new terrain section will be signed as I-269 in a year, then will the TN 385 section also be signed as I-269 at that time?

I decided to drop the TDOT effort and check back with them in about six months.  If anyone else wants to try .......

NE2

TDOT doesn't assign state route numbers to Interstates. The 2012-2014 construction program list lists it only as I-269 PROP, while other future roadways have SR numbers assigned (e.g. SR-462 PROP). It looks likely that it will be signed as I-269, with future banners if AASHTO or FHWA throws a fit. Or, if TN completes their piece before MS, they may simply sign it TO US 72 and TO SR 385.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

lordsutch

It shouldn't be an issue, since the north/west end of 385 (US 51) is on the NHS and so will be either terminus (US 72 or MS 302).

The only potential silliness is with even/odd numbering; even then, you could designate (non-future) I-269 between I-40 and US 72 or MS 302, since MDOT is actively constructing the connection to I-55/69 (and, for that matter, I-22), and leave the remainder from US 51 to I-40 to be signed as I-269 once I-69 reaches Millington.

codyg1985

Quote from: Grzrd on November 12, 2014, 05:33:11 PM
On the TDOT side, I have been unsuccessful in finding out what state designation, if any, the short, new terrain TN 385 to state line section will receive in about a year (it can't be TN 385 because TN 385 makes the sharp turn back to I-240). I have only received confirmation that the relevant TN 385 section plus this short section is "Future I-269".  If the short, new terrain section will be signed as I-269 in a year, then will the TN 385 section also be signed as I-269 at that time?

I decided to drop the TDOT effort and check back with them in about six months.  If anyone else wants to try .......

The signage plans I downloaded for the portion under construction has signage for I-269 only.
Cody Goodman

Grzrd

Quote from: lordsutch on January 20, 2015, 04:29:47 PM
As of two weeks ago there's not any paving done at all on the ramps at future I-269 and US 72, just grading, and the overpasses are still incomplete, so if TDOT is opening that segment sometime this year they're going to have to get the lead out.
(above quote from I-69 in TN thread)

This article reports that there will be some lane closures on TN 385 this week for the setting of bridge beams:

All lanes of Tenn. 385 between U.S. 72 and Tenn. 57 will close from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 10, through Friday, Feb. 13.
The interstate is closing to set bridge beams across the westbound lanes of 385 for a new on-ramp from Interstate 269.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on March 08, 2014, 05:49:48 PM
This article reports that some DeSoto County officials have returned from a visit with Mississippi's D.C. delegation speaking of a somewhat positive reception regarding a proposed McIngvale Road interchange:
DeSoto County Supervisor Mark Gardner ....
U.S. Sen. ... Roger Wicker ....
Both Gardner and Hernando Mayor Chip Johnson said the need for there to be a Hernando exit off Interstate 269 was discussed as well.
Gardner quoted Wicker as saying that having Mississippi Department of Transportation officials solidly behind the I-269 Hernando exit would be helpful.
Johnson said the McIngvale Road exit onto I-269 as it's known is of paramount concern.
"Everybody wants to do that project but we're just trying to find a way to fund it," Johnson said.

This April 30 article reports that I-269 is still on track to be open to traffic in 2017 and that local officials are still trying, unsuccessfully so far, to receive approval for a McIngvale Road interchange:

There are challenges that go along with transportation improvements as DeSoto County Economic Development Council CEO and President Jim Flanagan pointed out.
Flanagan said lack of an interchange at McIngvale and I-269 is one of those unique challenges.
"The challenge there is the lack of an interchange," Flanagan said during a roundtable discussion period. "The lack of ingress and egress exacerbates the difficulty for traffic moving in and out."
Hernando Mayor Chip Johnson said signalization of the Nesbit interchange at Pleasant Hill and U.S. 51 could occur this fall.
I-269 is slated to be completed and open for traffic by 2017.
Hernando attorney and property owner Bill Brown echoed Flanagan in agreeing that an additional interchange is needed.
"The impact would be tremendous," Brown said.
Lack of an interchange impacts retail sales tax dollars, according to Hernando Main Street/Chamber of Commerce Executive Director Susan Fernandez.
"With the I-269 loop, there is no easy way to get them to Hernando to shop," Fernandez said.
According to MDOT regulations, which cite allowed distances between interchanges, an interchange at McIngvale and I-269 was considered too close in proximity to the exit at I-55 and thus was not included in the loop's final design.
City officials have quietly waged a battle behind the scenes for an interchange at McIngvale and I-269 which would link east Hernando and Commerce Street to I-269 and provide a route to downtown Hernando.
That effort has not proved fruitful, so far.

Atomica

Quote from: Revive 755 on July 20, 2009, 08:28:09 PM
Quote from: xonhulu on July 20, 2009, 06:59:25 PM
I-44-55-64-70 in St Louis, at least after US 70 gets re-routed.  It's signed like it has all 4 freeways now, but I'm not sure I-44 officially makes it there now.  Anyone?

Really depends upon the source.  Going by signage only SB I-55 overlaps with I-44.  The FHWA route log has I-55 overlapping I-44 (http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/reports/routefinder/table1.cfm), but then it seems to be somewhat error-prone for the St. Louis region (just check the IL mileage for I-70).  The EIS for the SB I-55 viaduct between that interchange and the I-44 interchange was labeled for I-44, so take your pick. 

But after I-70 gets relocated, and before the full build out of the new bridge plans, there will be a pair of three interstate interchanges, with I-44/I-55/I-64 at the west end of the PSB, and I-55/I-64/I-70 at the Tri-Level.  Though the Tri-Level could stay as a three interstate junction should the I-64 connector to the new bridge get a three digit designation.

(Edited to fix I-54 typo in second to last line)

The I-44 currently is multiplexed with the I-55 into downtown St Louis.  The I-55 goes up Poplar Street Bridge with the I-64, whilst the I-44 goes up to the I-70 a couple of miles north where the I-70 branches off to the Stan Musial Bridge.
"A man who stands for nothing will fall for anything."
--- Malcolm X, 1925-1965

Scott5114

You're from the California, aren't you?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

codyg1985

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 03, 2015, 05:35:36 PM

Possibly, but he would just leave out I- and just call it "The 44" and "The 55."
Cody Goodman

Tomahawkin

Has there been any news or Photos of IH-269 construction? I only visit that area one a year...

Atomica

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 03, 2015, 05:35:36 PM
Yes, I am originally from California, but have lived in Missouri for more than 20 years.  I think I might have picked up the habit of referring to interstates like "the I-44" or "the I-405" more from watching British television programmes like Police Camera Action - where references to "the M1", "the M25", "the A1" are common...
"A man who stands for nothing will fall for anything."
--- Malcolm X, 1925-1965

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on February 10, 2015, 11:51:42 AM
Quote from: lordsutch on January 20, 2015, 04:29:47 PM
As of two weeks ago there's not any paving done at all on the ramps at future I-269 and US 72, just grading, and the overpasses are still incomplete, so if TDOT is opening that segment sometime this year they're going to have to get the lead out.
(above quote from I-69 in TN thread)

This Commercial Appeal article includes two photos of construction of a flyover ramp and reports that TDOT and MDOT are still on track to finish the first non-Tenn 385 segment of I-269 "by sometime this fall":

With the pouring of a deck for a flyover ramp in Collierville this month, passing motorists saw concrete evidence of progress on the initial phase of what will be a 25-mile, $710 million-plus freeway loop around the Memphis area's southern perimeter.
By sometime this fall, workers on both sides of the state line are expected to complete a five-mile leg of Interstate 269 extending from Tenn. 385 in Collierville to Miss. 302 in Marshall County. The project is costing $53.8 million, including $42.5 million for the section from Collierville to the Mississippi line.
"It's really going to open up things a lot for moving traffic through the area,"  said Steve Chipman, who is managing the Tennessee Department of Transportation's portion of the project.
I-269 is the local bypass loop along the planned I-69 route extending from Canada to Mexico. The entire loop will cover a nearly 60-mile horseshoe-shaped alignment from Millington to Hernando, Mississippi. The northern portion – from Millington to Collierville – has been finished, although it remains designated Tenn. 385 pending completion of other components of the loop. The segment slated to be completed this fall will be the first to carry traffic along the southern I-269 loop extending south from Collierville to near Byhalia, Mississippi, then swinging westward to Hernando, where it will connect with I-55/69.

Quote from: Grzrd on May 02, 2015, 07:17:08 PM
This April 30 article reports that I-269 is still on track to be open to traffic in 2017.

However, the Commercial Appeal article also reports that MDOT officials are now looking at a 2018 opening for the remainder of the Mississippi section:

The eight segments in Mississippi will cost a total of $668 million, said Jason Scott, public information officer for the Mississippi Department of Transportation. The segment from Collierville to the Mississippi line brings the total cost to more than $710 million.
Scott said the seven other segments in Mississippi are all more than 50 percent completed, although paving has not yet begun on them. The entire loop should be finished in 2018, Scott said.

triplemultiplex

I think TN and MS should be allowed to start signing 269 later this year.  This will avoid having to deal with some BS temporary designation for the new segment.  This should include all of the TN 385 portion of I-269.  I don't care that we are no where near getting I-69 north of Memphis, go ahead and do it anyway.  This is one of those situations where sticking to the letter of some rule is silly.  The physical connection to the parent is under construction and fussing over how it ends is foolish pedantry.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

lordsutch

I think FHWA has no problem with signing I-269; it's just TDOT not bothering to sign it yet even though legally they could (same with I-69, for that matter).

I did notice on my way north yesterday that TN 385 is now signed north/south on the formerly east/west Paul Barret Pkwy section of the loop, at least at TN 14; maybe they're planning to come in and install I-269 signs when they get around to opening the section down to MS 302 in a few months.

lordsutch

Two other bits of info: 385 is definitely signed north/south at I-40 now too.

Also, some of the signage is up for the I-269/385 split in Collierville, although the signs for 269 proper are missing or covered up. Southbound there's two APL signs installed, with 385 west marked as a righthand optional-lane exit as "Exit 2," indicating TDOT doesn't plan to continue Mississippi's mileage. The control city on at least one sign was Collierville rather than Memphis (which is what's on the advance sign at the TN 57 exit).

Photos soon, hopefully.

golden eagle

Quote from: triplemultiplex on May 27, 2015, 11:28:49 AM
I think TN and MS should be allowed to start signing 269 later this year.

Rand McNally already has in the 2016 atlas.

TrevorB

Decided to head out to I-269 today to get some pictures.

First, progress at the MS 302 interchange. Looked like the majority of it was paved.

Got a quick picture of the east/northbound signage at the 385/269 junction

Next, the two new APL signs that were mentioned previously. You can see where the left portion of the signs are blank...this is where I-269 will continue south.

Lastly, a view of the progress at the 385/269 junction itself (looking south)

bugo

Is the orphaned part of TN 385 going to become an interstate? If this were NC we were talking about it would have been a "future" interstate 15 years ago.

bugo

I noticed on the last Google satellite imagery the entire part of I-269 is graded and cleared except for a stretch just south of Dogwood where there is no grading. Is this going to be a long bridge over a floodplain? There is a creek that runs through that area.

bugo

Will TN 385 and I-269 be co-signed at least for a while?

lordsutch

Quote from: bugo on June 02, 2015, 06:03:48 AM
Is the orphaned part of TN 385 going to become an interstate? If this were NC we were talking about it would have been a "future" interstate 15 years ago.

I doubt it, since TDOT typically doesn't ask for interstate designations for non-chargeable freeways (think TN 155, TN 386, etc.), future "I-840" being the exception that proves the rule.

QuoteI noticed on the last Google satellite imagery the entire part of I-269 is graded and cleared except for a stretch just south of Dogwood where there is no grading. Is this going to be a long bridge over a floodplain? There is a creek that runs through that area.

That's the Coldwater River and surrounding marshland. I'd imagine that they've finally started work on it since the other crossing (west of I-22) was pretty much done.

QuoteWill TN 385 and I-269 be co-signed at least for a while?

Your guess is as good as mine. I don't think TDOT and MDOT have even applied for the I-269 designation yet (maybe at the September AASHTO meeting?); it's not in the FHWA route log for either state.

TrevorB

lordsutch beat me to it, just by a few seconds. Went ahead and deleted mine since it's pretty much the same info.

codyg1985

I noticed when driving through on MS 302 during the night at I-269 that there are butterfly gantries installed on the side approaching I-269 on MS 302. I assume these will be for message boards similar to the ones on US 78/I-22 approaching I-269? I didn't realize that those were being installed as part of the paving project to MS 302.
Cody Goodman

lordsutch

I noticed those too; they appear identical to the ones MDOT installed on US 78, so I assume that's the plan.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.