News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Interstate 269

Started by Chris, July 19, 2009, 11:10:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lordsutch

AFAIK TDOT didn't ask for the designation to be extended to US 51, although presumably it would be legal (but someone might well have complained that there's no interstate yet at the far end).

In the medium to long term, the US 51 corridor through Tipton County is becoming increasingly developed so TDOT will probably face pressure to build I-69 from I-40 to the Hatchie River north of Covington, much as TN 385 was built to relieve US 72 through Collierville and Germantown in the 1990s. North of there (except in Ripley and around Dyersburg) the existing road is probably sufficient absent either further growth or a need to relieve I-55.

codyg1985

Quote from: Tomahawkin on November 01, 2016, 09:44:45 PM
I'm curious to know what is going on, in the northern area (north of IH 40) of the development of 269? Has anyone heard anything since Kentucky got the OK to proceed with their development of I-69. Isn't the area around Millington protected because of the Naval base? I only go to that area once a year now...

Most of the work TDOT is actively pursuing at this time is between I-155 and the Kentucky state line.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Interstate 69 Fan

Quote from: Tomahawkin on November 01, 2016, 09:44:45 PM
I'm curious to know what is going on, in the northern area (north of IH 40) of the development of 269? Has anyone heard anything since Kentucky got the OK to proceed with their development of I-69. Isn't the area around Millington protected because of the Naval base? I only go to that area once a year now...
All of I-269 in development is connecting MS 302 and I-55. The segment extending I-269 west about a mile or so to I-69 north of Memphis is under study. That will be happening when I-69 is extended south from its current under construction route from Kentucky to I-155.
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

Bobby5280

I-69 will have to be built mostly on a new alignment between Millington and Dyersburg. There's just too much development along the existing US-51/TN-3 corridor.

The route might be able to use US-51/TN-3 for some length between towns. From Millington to just North of Covington the existing route is too encroached and overrun with properties. The route isn't bad running through Henning. But it gets totally encroached again in Ripley. In Dyersburg I'm all but certain I-69 will have to use the US-20 freeway East of town. I-69 would split away from US-20 near the TN-210 interchange East of Fowlkes and then dovetail into US-51/TN-3 by Halls.

TN DOT will probably put off this part of I-69 as long as they can. But procrastinating has its consequences. If they're not already trying to acquire ROW along a preferred route they're making a serious and likely very costly mistake.

robbones

Quote from: Bobby5280 on November 02, 2016, 10:48:05 AM
I-69 will have to be built mostly on a new alignment between Millington and Dyersburg. There's just too much development along the existing US-51/TN-3 corridor.

The route might be able to use US-51/TN-3 for some length between towns. From Millington to just North of Covington the existing route is too encroached and overrun with properties. The route isn't bad running through Henning. But it gets totally encroached again in Ripley. In Dyersburg I'm all but certain I-69 will have to use the US-20 freeway East of town. I-69 would split away from US-20 near the TN-210 interchange East of Fowlkes and then dovetail into US-51/TN-3 by Halls.

TN DOT will probably put off this part of I-69 as long as they can. But procrastinating has its consequences. If they're not already trying to acquire ROW along a preferred route they're making a serious and likely very costly mistake.
US 20 doesn't run anywhere near Tennessee.

LG-H634

NE2

Quote from: robbones on November 02, 2016, 09:38:47 PM
US 20 doesn't run anywhere near Tennessee.
If you look at a map it'll be obvious what he meant.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

lordsutch

The DEIS selected a routing west of Dyersburg, tying into I-155 around the location of the welcome center if I recall correctly; following the US 412 (now-unsigned TN 20) bypass was considered but rejected. I don't know specifically why off-hand - I think the DEIS is still on the TDOT website but I'm on a slow link - but I'd imagine the proximity of the I-155 tie-in and the US 51 interchange immediately to the south would be problematic with higher traffic volumes.

Bobby5280

At first glance it looks like TDOT could save a lot of money running I-69 along the US-412/TN-20 bypass East of Dyersburg. I can understand the choice of building a route West of Dyersburg. There is hardly any development West of the US-51 corridor in that area. Farther South it's a little tricky. The Chickasaw National Wildlife Refuge is not far West of US-51. There is sporadic development East and West of the US-51 corridor. Whatever alignment is chosen to build it's going to erase at least a few buildings. I don't even know how much arguing has been going in various towns along US-51 over where I-69 will be built.

The Ghostbuster

Wherever 69 may be built, I hope it's built along a corridor that's logical.

GreenLanternCorps

I-69 already has a route mapped:

https://www.tn.gov/assets/entities/tdot/attachments/i-69s01.pdf

https://www.tn.gov/assets/entities/tdot/attachments/i-69s03.pdf

edwaleni

I thought I would mention that with I-22 open through from Memphis to Birmingham, the I-269 beltway is going to take on a larger role as an "Atlanta Bypass" for SE/NW based traffic. More and more logistics are trying find better ways to bypass Atlanta without going south on I-55 or east on I-40.

Atlanta has become such a nightmare, especially its beltways, that more and more people are trying to find strategic bypasses that don't add significant levels of mileage.

Even if I-269 never crosses the Mississippi, some firms are routing traffic up and down through I-65 north to Nashville, taking the I-840 bypass to I-40 and then jumping north on US412 at Jackson to connect to I-155 at Dyersburg.

That gives you an idea of how strategic I-22 and I-269 really is.

Bobby5280

I-22 isn't a high speed Atlanta bypass. If anything I-22 will only help commercial and personal vehicle traffic get to/from the Atlanta area directly, not around it. I-22 is going to funnel traffic toward Atlanta in the same manner as I-16 in Georgia, but possibly with significantly greater effect than I-16.

Atlanta is a major trucking hub, so a lot of commercial vehicles aren't going to be avoiding the place anyway. Commercial traffic originating in places like Florida or the Carolinas have very limited options to avoid Atlanta, especially if the traffic stays only on Interstate highways. I-20 is the only East-West Interstate that completely crosses Georgia. I-40 and I-10 are pretty far away.

If there was an Interstate linking Birmingham directly with Columbus, GA as well as Albany, GA and going down to Jacksonville, FL then that would be a pretty effective long distance Atlanta bypass. By the way, I think such a highway would be more useful for the Deep South than some of the other regional Interstate proposals that have been tossed around the past 20 or so years.

Grzrd

Quote from: GreenLanternCorps on August 29, 2016, 09:34:51 AM
I know that paving contracts have been let, but have they started the final grading and paving of any portion of I-269 from I-55 to the completed section?

This article reports that paving has started under the first section, but that it is not expected to start under the second contract until after the new year. It is now projected to be open to traffic by late Fall 2018:

I-269 BULLETIN
Well, "bulletin" might be a bit strong. Let's just say the Mississippi Department of Transportation told us a little something about the status of the much-anticipated project as part of an update of North Mississippi projects.
I-269, the largest active MDOT construction project, eventually will form a horseshoe of nearly 60 miles from Hernando to Millington in Shelby County. It will be part of a bypass around Memphis as part of the planned Interstate 69 route from Canada to Mexico. In addition to easing travel for motorists, development officials and elected leaders throughout the areas touched by it are excited about the growth potential the project will bring.
For those reasons, many people latch on to any tidbit of fresh information about its status. Well, in the latest update, MDOT doesn't offer a lot but does reassure that I-269 is still expected to be open to traffic in North Mississippi in late fall of 2018.
Dirt and bridge work for the entire I-269 corridor is complete, MDOT says, and two paving projects are underway as part of the next phase. Work has begun on the first of the two paving projects, and the contract for the second paving project has been awarded. However, MDOT says it doesn't expect work on the second project to begin until sometime after the first of the year.
The first section of I-269, from Miss. 302 to the Tennessee line in Marshall County, opened to traffic Oct. 23, 2015.

GreenLanternCorps

Quote from: Grzrd on December 06, 2016, 07:59:13 PM
Quote from: GreenLanternCorps on August 29, 2016, 09:34:51 AM
I know that paving contracts have been let, but have they started the final grading and paving of any portion of I-269 from I-55 to the completed section?

This article reports that paving has started under the first section, but that it is not expected to start under the second contract until after the new year. It is now projected to be open to traffic by late Fall 2018:

I-269 BULLETIN
Well, "bulletin" might be a bit strong. Let's just say the Mississippi Department of Transportation told us a little something about the status of the much-anticipated project as part of an update of North Mississippi projects.
I-269, the largest active MDOT construction project, eventually will form a horseshoe of nearly 60 miles from Hernando to Millington in Shelby County. It will be part of a bypass around Memphis as part of the planned Interstate 69 route from Canada to Mexico. In addition to easing travel for motorists, development officials and elected leaders throughout the areas touched by it are excited about the growth potential the project will bring.
For those reasons, many people latch on to any tidbit of fresh information about its status. Well, in the latest update, MDOT doesn't offer a lot but does reassure that I-269 is still expected to be open to traffic in North Mississippi in late fall of 2018.
Dirt and bridge work for the entire I-269 corridor is complete, MDOT says, and two paving projects are underway as part of the next phase. Work has begun on the first of the two paving projects, and the contract for the second paving project has been awarded. However, MDOT says it doesn't expect work on the second project to begin until sometime after the first of the year.
The first section of I-269, from Miss. 302 to the Tennessee line in Marshall County, opened to traffic Oct. 23, 2015.

So, Spring of 2019 then?  :biggrin:

codyg1985

Google Maps has updated imagery from late October showing the progression of the I-269 paving in east DeSoto and west Marshall Counties. The missing ramps at the I-22 interchange are now being graded in the imagery.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

plain

Quote from: codyg1985 on January 15, 2017, 12:45:49 PM
Google Maps has updated imagery from late October showing the progression of the I-269 paving in east DeSoto and west Marshall Counties. The missing ramps at the I-22 interchange are now being graded in the imagery.

Thanks for the heads up! Looking at it I can see how nicely the loop is starting to form. I went to Street View to see why those bridges are so long just east of the I-22 interchange and noticed the heavy traffic on MS 178. Is that road always that congested?
Newark born, Richmond bred

sparker

Quote from: plain on January 15, 2017, 01:30:56 PM
Quote from: codyg1985 on January 15, 2017, 12:45:49 PM

Thanks for the heads up! Looking at it I can see how nicely the loop is starting to form. I went to Street View to see why those bridges are so long just east of the I-22 interchange and noticed the heavy traffic on MS 178. Is that road always that congested?

It looks like the twin I-269 bridges over MS 178 and the adjacent BNSF tracks also cross a channelized waterway that also ducks under the WB 22 to NB 269 ramp as well as mainline I-22; that probably accounts for the bridge length, since the location of the waterway overcrossing is right where the I-269 interchange slip lanes merge back with the main traffic lanes; instead of constructing a small bridge over the waterway and another bridge (shorter than what's being currently constructed) over MS 178 and the tracks with a berm in between.  The presence of a perpendicular connecting road to MS 178 might have had some influence in the bridge design and length as well.

froggie

Quote from: plainI went to Street View to see why those bridges are so long just east of the I-22 interchange and noticed the heavy traffic on MS 178. Is that road always that congested?

No.  If you go a little west of I-269 on GMSV, you'll see why traffic is backed up:  road striping operations had traffic stopped.

Grzrd

Quote from: GreenLanternCorps on December 07, 2016, 10:17:04 AM
This article reports that paving has started under the first section, but that it is not expected to start under the second contract until after the new year. It is now projected to be open to traffic by late Fall 2018
So, Spring of 2019 then?  :biggrin:

This February 1 article quotes a MDOT official as saying that I-269 could be open in eighteen months:

DeSoto County is on track to have some major improvements to its road system finished next year, according to Mississippi Department of Transportation (MDOT) Northern District Commissioner Mike Tagert.
The new construction of I-269 from the Tennessee state border to its connection with I-69 north of Hernando and the completion of the Coldwater River bridge south of Hernando on U.S. Highway 51 are both on schedule to be finished in 2018 ....
Tagert did say DeSoto County drivers should be able to travel the finished portion of I-269 by the fall of 2018.
"We're very proud of the I-269/I-69 project in DeSoto County and I hope folks in DeSoto County are, as well,"  Tagert said. "I-269 is a monumental project, but it's ahead of schedule and it's on budget. We're about 18 months out from finishing it and that's progress."
The Northern District Commissioner didn't speculate on how much of that project could be finished this year, saying the paving progress is at the discretion of the contractor.

abqtraveler

...the paving progress is at the discretion of the contractor.

Doesn't sound like the Government is really pushing the contractor to get the job done in a timely manner.  What politician in Mississippi is getting their wallet lined by letting the contractor string out the paving process?
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

lordsutch

Quote from: abqtraveler on February 04, 2017, 04:27:13 PM
...the paving progress is at the discretion of the contractor.

Doesn't sound like the Government is really pushing the contractor to get the job done in a timely manner.  What politician in Mississippi is getting their wallet lined by letting the contractor string out the paving process?

Construction contracts have deadlines. It's up to the contractor to decide if they want to stretch the work out and get done near/at the deadline, or get it done and move on to the next job, depending on what other demand there is for the equipment and labor (and subcontractors), especially if there's no bonus for early completion.

Tomahawkin

OT, does anyone know if there are going to be any planned truck stops/restaurants at or near the 22/269 interchange? Mississippi SR 302 is pure hell with all the development of strip malls there. Its 80s Atlanta backwards development again going on along Route 302

lordsutch

Quote from: Tomahawkin on February 22, 2017, 11:37:54 PM
OT, does anyone know if there are going to be any planned truck stops/restaurants at or near the 22/269 interchange? Mississippi SR 302 is pure hell with all the development of strip malls there. Its 80s Atlanta backwards development again going on along Route 302

There's a Pilot at Hacks Cross Road (Exit 6) already, although it's a backtrack from 269. It wouldn't surprise me if a different chain like Love's goes in at the MS 309 exit (Exit 14) eventually; there's already a motel and a couple of gas stations there, and Byhalia probably can extend its sewer services fairly easily - the other exits probably don't have as much infrastructure for a modern big truck stop.

GreenLanternCorps

Google maps shows a fair amount of asphalt laid down on the I-269 roadbed running west from the I-22 interchange to the MS305 interchange.

Correction:  The asphalt also runs east up to MS302, at least as far at the satellite image goes.

Not a construction expert, but I assume this is just the first of several layers.

But it is nice to see progress.

Grzrd

This article reports that paving has started under the first section, but that it is not expected to start under the second contract until after the new year. It is now projected to be open to traffic by late Fall 2018

This TV video reports that construction is still on schedule:

The largest construction project in the state of Mississippi is right on schedule, according to the state's department of transportation. Dirt and bridge work on I-269 is complete.
"Construction of I-269 in DeSoto and Marshall Counties is right on schedule,"  says MDOT PIO Jason Scott.
The final phase of I-269 is almost finished. MDOT officials say crews have to pave the remaining 24 miles from the I-269 junction with Interstate 55 in Hernando to Highway 302 in Marshall County ....
The final phase is expected to be finished in the fall of 2018.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.