U.S. Highways That Don't Parallel Any Interstates

Started by sprjus4, June 08, 2019, 06:13:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kulerage

Quote from: US 89 on June 18, 2019, 07:25:32 PM
Quote from: Kulerage on June 18, 2019, 06:41:47 PM
Surprised that US 83 hasn't been mentioned. Only about 3% of its entire nearly 2000 mile route is concurrent with interstates, and even then those occurrences are incidental and not a true parallel (i.e. US 58 and I-81).

Although it's only 48 miles long, the entire length of I-2 is concurrent with US 83 in south Texas, which might be enough to disqualify it for this thread.
I... forgot about that stupid interstate. Well, I redid the math and even with the addition of Interstate 2, US 83 is still well-within the 15% threshold.

Avalanchez71

Quote from: MikieTimT on June 12, 2019, 12:07:05 PM
US-412 doesn't.  In fact, I don't think any of the US 400 series does.  Arguably, at least one segment of US-412 could eventually become an Interstate, but that would take some political and financial will that doesn't currently exist.

I don't see US 412 having any traction in TN in updating to an interstate.  A portion of it is on I-155 and I-40 anyway.

Some one

Would US 59 and 290 count? The former probably doesn't anymore cause of i-69.

There's also US 96

NWI_Irish96

Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

cpzilliacus

No mention so far of U.S. 15 (S.C., N.C., Va., Md., Pa. and N.Y.).

Yes, it has a short concurrency with I-95 near its southern terminus in South Carolina to cross Lake Marion, another relatively short concurrency with I-85 north of Durham, and north of Williamsport in Pennsylvania the road is signed FUTURE I-99, and it is signed I-99 in New York, but those are recent developments, and for the most part the road goes its own way (it once went to Rochester, N.Y. and I have been on the part of U.S. 15 in New York that is no more).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: cpzilliacus on October 29, 2020, 11:51:05 AM
No mention so far of U.S. 15 (S.C., N.C., Va., Md., Pa. and N.Y.).

Yes, it has a short concurrency with I-95 near its southern terminus in South Carolina to cross Lake Marion, another relatively concurrency with I-85 north of Durham, and north of Williamsport in Pennsylvania the road is signed FUTURE I-99, and it is signed I-99 in New York, but those are recent developments, and for the most part the road goes its own way (it once went to Rochester, N.Y. and I have been on the part of U.S. 15 in New York that is no more).

Back in the days of Interstates posted at 55 mph, I certainly used US-15 from Culpeper, Virginia to Sanford, North Carolina and beyond as a viable parallel route to I-95 to get from Washington, DC to Fayetteville and Florence.  After dark, the trip was only about an hour longer and much more predictable.  For some reason, I never tried this as a northbound alternative, preferring to stick to the east side of I-95 on those trips.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Dirt Roads on October 29, 2020, 12:14:21 PM
Back in the days of Interstates posted at 55 mph, I certainly used US-15 from Culpeper, Virginia to Sanford, North Carolina and beyond as a viable parallel route to I-95 to get from Washington, DC to Fayetteville and Florence.  After dark, the trip was only about an hour longer and much more predictable.  For some reason, I never tried this as a northbound alternative, preferring to stick to the east side of I-95 on those trips.

The only issue to be aware of with U.S. 15 in Virginia is speed limit enforcement. 

In particular the municipalities of Gordonsville, Orange and Leesburg - and overall, it's not a good idea to speed in Virginia. 
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

plain

Quote from: cabiness42 on October 29, 2020, 07:21:32 AM
US 33
US 35

I can't believe I didn't think about US 33 for this thread given the fact that I lived very close to this road TWICE and used to drive it everyday  :banghead:
Newark born, Richmond bred

hbelkins

Routes that enter Kentucky that would qualify: US 23 (I don't count the late addition of I-26 as a disqualifying factor), US 27, US 62, US 68, US 79, US 119, US 127, US 150, US 231 (again, the new addition of I-165 into the system doesn't count), US 421, US 431, US 460 in its current iteration, US 641. Some of these have brief encounters, either in or out of the state, but overall they weren't supplanted by interstates.

Not qualifying: US 25, US 31, US 41, US 42, US 51, US 60. For each of these routes, much of the through-route function was replaced by interstates. For some, such as US 41 and US 51, that doesn't occur in Kentucky, but elsewhere in the state. (Again, not counting the late addition of I-69 and future I-169 into the system where US 41 is concerned).

I'm not sure where to include US 45 because I'm not familiar enough with its relationships to interstates in the Chicago area and Wisconsin. Through most of Illinois and on south, however, it does not parallel an interstate.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

froggie

^ I would disqualify US 45 because it parallels I-57 between Effingham and Kankakee.  That's about 150 miles of eastern Illinois.

Avalanchez71

I would say in TN US 641, US 51, US 45, US 129, US 412, US 441 and honorable mention goes to the segment of US 70S from Murfreesboro to Sparta.  US 70S swings away from Interstate highways to serve cities not otherwise served by the Interstate system. 

Flint1979

Wouldn't it be the other way around? Interstate highways that don't parallel any US highways. The US highways were there first.

sprjus4

Quote from: Flint1979 on November 04, 2020, 07:38:32 AM
Interstate highways that don't parallel any US highways.
You're going to have a hard time finding a mainline interstate highway that doesn't run parallel to any US highways.

froggie

Quote from: sprjus4 on November 04, 2020, 10:23:33 AM
Quote from: Flint1979 on November 04, 2020, 07:38:32 AM
Interstate highways that don't parallel any US highways.
You're going to have a hard time finding a mainline interstate highway that doesn't run parallel to any US highways.

In their entirety, perhaps.  But even there, I-335 KS and the eastern versions of I-86 and I-88 all qualify.   And a number of individual segments of other Interstates don't run parallel.  Off the top of my head, most of I-5 between the Grapevine and Sacramento, and I-93 from Franconia Notch into Vermont.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.