News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Interstate 269

Started by Chris, July 19, 2009, 11:10:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buummu

cool.. where will I-269 begin and end?

Grzrd

Quote from: Buummu on April 29, 2011, 04:00:43 PM
cool.. where will I-269 begin and end?
Quote from: Grzrd on March 22, 2011, 09:47:21 PM
Quote from: Grzrd on March 15, 2011, 02:36:29 PM
I had thought first letting would be in 2012 and was surprised to find out it will be in a week.  The section will be from south of SR 302 to the Tennessee state line.  Completion of the project is scheduled for October 16, 2013
Apparent low bid for the first construction project on Mississippi's section of I-269 that was let today (TN state line to south of MS 302) came in at approximately $19.5 million
Here is link to Mississippi DOT's map of Mississippi portion of I-269, which begins at I-55/I-69 and goes east and north to Tennessee state line:

http://www.gomdot.com/Home/Projects/Studies/Northern/I269/Home.aspx

The Tennessee portion of I-269 will primarily be the current Tennessee 385:

... Known in various sections as Paul Barret Parkway and Bill Morris Parkway, Highway 385 forms an approximately 50-mile-long horseshoe arcing from U.S. 51 in Millington eastward to Arlington, southward to Collierville and then back westward to Interstate 240 in southeast Memphis.
The portion from Millington to Collierville eventually will be part of the larger Interstate 269 loop around metropolitan Memphis ...
(http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2011/feb/21/game-changer/)

South of Collierville, I-269 will split from TN 385 and go south to MS state line (I-240 to Collierville section of TN 385 will not be part of I-269).  This is the section on which the TIP indicates that construction will begin in 2012.

AFAIK there are no plans for an Arkansas segment of I-269, but that may change depending upon the route chosen for the Southern Gateway bridge.

Buummu

awesome... now that I-269 is becoming a reality.. but what about the I-69 routing?

Grzrd

Quote from: Buummu on April 30, 2011, 04:05:42 PM
but what about the I-69 routing?
Here's a link to a description of I-69's route through metropolitan Memphis [page1/4 of pdf], as well as a map of the route [page 4/4 of pdf]:

http://www.tdot.state.tn.us/i69/segment9/newsletters/0107.pdf

The pdf also has a description [page 1/4] and map [page 4/4] of I-269's route (stayin' on topic  :D)

rickmastfan67

Just noticed that we had an older thread on I-269 and decided to merge the new and old ones together.

Buummu

awesome! I like how they route I-269... using mostly existing roads...

Grzrd

MDOT issued an I-269 Project Update on May 6:

http://www.gomdot.com/Home/MediaRoom/newsreleases/PressReleaseDetail.aspx?ID=56201121420

Construction of I-269 in Marshall County  
The first section of I-269 has been let to contract.  Tanner Construction Company, Inc. of Ellisville, MS, has been awarded a $19,524,520 project that calls for the construction of the first leg of I-269 in Marshall County.  The project is approximately 3.1 miles long and goes from just South of SR 302 to the Tennessee state line.   Work completed under this contract will include clearing, earthwork, bridge construction, and drainage features.  The paving work will be let under a separate contract in the future.  The completion date for this project is scheduled for October 16, 2013.

Henry

Here's a map showing the loop, as well as the projected routing of I-69 through MS:

http://www.i69info.com/maps/ms_i69.pdf

According to this, I-22 will end at I-55 along the outer loop, meaning it won't go into TN. But why is I-269 labeled as I-669? Was that an original proposal, or simply a typo?
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

froggie

That was a theoretical route number from the website owner, before it was announced that I-69 would go through Memphis and I-269 would go around (the "system alternative").

I-22 following the Outer Loop to I-55 was also a theory of his.

Henry

Quote from: froggie on May 12, 2011, 11:43:55 AM
That was a theoretical route number from the website owner, before it was announced that I-69 would go through Memphis and I-269 would go around (the "system alternative").

I-22 following the Outer Loop to I-55 was also a theory of his.

I see now.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Daniel Fiddler

I have to wonder if the Southern Gateway project will be a WESTWARD extension of I - 269.

Anthony_JK

Probably not, since the segment west of the I-55/I-69/proposed I-269 junction is already signed as I-69.

Maybe as another x69, though??

Anthony

Revive 755

^ But there is a precedent for a bypass merging with the parent with I-87 and I-287 in New York.

The Southern Gateway Project needs a better name since it appears it would be open to a new bridge north of I-40; just call it the Third Bridge Project.

NE2

Perhaps the name refers to a gateway to the South?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on May 09, 2011, 08:31:48 PM
MDOT issued an I-269 Project Update on May 6:
http://www.gomdot.com/Home/MediaRoom/newsreleases/PressReleaseDetail.aspx?ID=56201121420
"Construction of I-269 in Marshall County  
The first section of I-269 has been let to contract.  Tanner Construction Company, Inc. of Ellisville, MS, has been awarded a $19,524,520 project that calls for the construction of the first leg of I-269 in Marshall County.  The project is approximately 3.1 miles long and goes from just South of SR 302 to the Tennessee state line.   Work completed under this contract will include clearing, earthwork, bridge construction, and drainage features.  The paving work will be let under a separate contract in the future.  The completion date for this project is scheduled for October 16, 2013."  
The groundbreaking ceremony for this section will be June 23 at the intersection of MS 302 and Mount Carmel Road.

The groundbreaking is mentioned in a Commercial Appeal article: (http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2011/jun/08/i-269-loop-stays-on-track/).  The article mistakenly indicates that the groundbreaking will be held at the DeSoto/Marshall county line, which is well to the west of the TN state line project.  I emailed MDOT and asked them if the county line location indicated a second I-269 project of which I had been unaware. The response:

I've attached an MDOT link that shows the complete I-269 corridor (http://www.gomdot.com/Home/Projects/Studies/Northern/I269/Home.aspx)
... The groundbreaking discussed on June 23 is for the small section of I-269 that will be built from MS Hwy 302 to the TN state line.  This section is shown as section 10 on the map.  The location of the ground-breaking is not correct in the article.  The groundbreaking will actually be at the intersection of MS 302 and Mount Carmel road, which can be seen on the map when you click on section 10.
The I-269 corridor has been designed to be built in smaller sections.  The entire corridor is discussed in the Commercial Appeal article and will run from the TN state line to the intersection of I-55/I-69 just south of Nesbit.

A roadgeek opportunity to be at the initial groundbreaking for a new Mississippi interstate ...

EDIT

The article indicates that the current estimated cost for all of I-269 in MS is $600 million.

Grzrd

TN 385 currently has an interchange with I-40.  As such, in theory, the sections of TN 385 directly connected to I-40 could be signed as an interstate today.  However, the new interstate is destined to be a 3di, I-269.  I-269's 2di parent, I-69, probably will not have an interchange with I-269 at either location for another 20 years or so: (1) an underlying assumption of TDOT's Lamar Corridor Study has been that Mississippi's section of I-269 will be completed around 2030 and (2) the new terrain section of I-69 from I-40 to TN 385 has been divided into four construction segments, which in conjunction with tight money, might mean completion by 2030 could be overly optimistic (TDOT's description of four segments as follows:
The segment 9 from Hernando, Mississippi to State Route 385 in Tennessee will follow along the existing alignment for I-55 to I-240 then to I-40. Then from I-40 the alignment will follow a new alignment west of State Route 51 to State Route 385 (Future I-269). The new alignment has been divided into four different projects as follows:
1. From I-40 to South of State Route 388
2. From South of State Route 388 to Fite Road
3. From Fite Road to North of Woodstock/Cuba Road
4. From North of Woodstock/Cuba Road to State Route 385 (Future I-269)).
(http://www.tdot.state.tn.us/i69/segment9/status.htm)

Non roadgeeks probably would not care that the 3di child would not be connected to its 2di parent for such a long time.  Businesses probably would want I-269 signage ASAP.  Would AASHTO have objections to a 3di not being connected to its 2di parent for such a long period of time?

My primary question is: What should be the triggering event for I-269 signage to go up around Memphis?
My secondary question is: Should I-269 signage installation be done in conjunction with initial I-69 signage through Memphis, including possibly designating US 51 parallel to the new terrain section of I-69 described above as "TEMP I-69"?

codyg1985

^ Since TN isn't signing I-69 along I-55 and I-240 in Memphis, I don't expect them to sign I-269 anytime soon.  Maybe when MS completes their segments of it so that I-55 and I-40 are joined, but I don't expect that to happen anytime soon, either.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

froggie

Quote(1) an underlying assumption of TDOT's Lamar Corridor Study has been that Mississippi's section of I-269 will be completed around 2030

Interesting, considering that MDOT already has a section in Marshall County under contract and has bond money to construct the rest.

Grzrd

Quote from: froggie on October 13, 2011, 12:47:34 PM
Quote(1) an underlying assumption of TDOT's Lamar Corridor Study has been that Mississippi's section of I-269 will be completed around 2030
Interesting, considering that MDOT already has a section in Marshall County under contract and has bond money to construct the rest.
Good point.  The assumption of the Lamar Corridor Study was that I-269 would be completed by 2030 ("As part of this study, travel demand modeling was performed using the 2030 Memphis Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) regional travel demand model to analyze several potential Lamar Avenue capacity improvement options with specific attention paid to truck impacts." [page 31/81 of pdf] and "It should be noted that for all of the alternatives analyzed in this report, it was assumed that I-269 is completely built. [page 39/81 of pdf]" http://www.tdot.state.tn.us/documents/LamarAvenueCorridor_June2011.pdf), which certainly leaves open the possibility that I-269 could be completed well before that date.

In regard to the bond money, is anyone aware of any MDOT estimates of a completion date for all of I-269 in Mississippi that may have accompanied an announcement of the bond money?  And, is completion of I-269 in Mississippi the best guess as to the triggering event for I-269 signage in both Mississippi and Tennessee?

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on October 13, 2011, 08:26:09 AM
My primary question is: What should be the triggering event for I-269 signage to go up around Memphis?
I emailed TDOT and asked them the above question.  I was a little surprised that that the response, from the I-269 Project Manager, did not absolutely state that a connection with I-69 would be necessary.  Basically, no decision has been made at this time.

The response:

You are correct that SR 385 will be completed and open to traffic by the end of 2013 and that future I-269 will begin construction in 2012.  These projects are definitely ahead of the Shelby County I-69 projects in terms of development.  It has not been determined at this time when the sections of Future I-269 will be permanently signed I-269.  That decision will have to be reached after coordination between TDOT, Mississippi Department of Transportation (they have the adjoining sections of I-269 that will connect with I-55) and the Federal Highway Administration.

EDIT

Here is a link to a map which highlights TDOT's Future I-269 (non-TN 385 section) project in red and the four Shelby County I-69 projects in distinctive colors: http://www.tdot.state.tn.us/i69/segment9/maps/segment_map.pdf

codyg1985

I went and looked at the construction progress at the MS 302 interchange with I-269 yesterday. Obviously, right now there is just some grading work occurring at the interchange. It appears, however, that a culvert is being extended south of MS 302 east of I-269, which suggests that MS 302 will be relocated to the south for it's interchange with I-269.

I will have some pictures up later.
Cody Goodman

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on October 13, 2011, 01:19:09 PM
The assumption of the Lamar Corridor Study was that I-269 would be completed by 2030 ... which certainly leaves open the possibility that I-269 could be completed well before that date.
I emailed MDOT and asked them if they had a current estimated completion date for Mississippi's part of I-269.  It looks like 2020 is the current best guess.  MDOT's response (the District 2 Engineer):

The project is broken into 4 segments. The 4th segment is currently under construction. The remaining 3 segments are anticipated to under construction in the next 2 to 4 years . The completion will be in phases ranging between 2014 to 2020. These dates are approximate due to ROW and utility constraints on the 3 segments not under construction.
As far as the signing, it will be I-269/304 for the entire corridor.

codyg1985

Google Maps' satellite imagery has been updated around Memphis, and it shows all of I-269 between Collierville and Arlington under construction. It also shows clearing along the portion of I-269 under construction in Mississippi north of MS 302.
Cody Goodman

Grzrd

MDOT released an update on I-269 construction yesterday:
http://www.gomdot.com/Home/MediaRoom/newsreleases/PressReleaseDetail.aspx?ID=129201133548

Work is underway on the first section of I-269 in Marshall County. Tanner Construction Company, Inc. of Ellisville, MS, has been awarded a $19,524,520 contract for the construction of the first leg of I-269. This project is approximately 3.1 miles long and goes from just South of SR 302 to the Tennessee state line. Work completed under this contract will include clearing, earthwork, bridge construction, and drainage features. The paving work will be let under a separate contract in the future. Completion of this project is scheduled for October 2013.  Clearing and grubbing operations have been completed.  The contractor is currently installing drainage structures on the north and south sides of the I-269/Hwy 302 Interchange. Earthwork operations are also ongoing on the south side of the I-269/Hwy 302 Interchange. In Mississippi, I-269 will begin at the Intersection of I-55 and I-69 north of Hernando, cross Highway 78 near Byhalia and continue northeast to the Tennessee state Line. This project is one section of the planned nationwide I-69 project.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on November 10, 2010, 11:14:52 AM
The proposed route from Toronto in Canada to Monterrey in Mexico will bisect DeSoto east to west through Hernando, running some 30 miles from the Marshall County line to Tunica County.
Quote from: Anthony_JK on November 10, 2010, 01:00:15 PM
Why, oh freakin' why, do public officials insist on hyperbole??
The actual route of the I-69 extension is only going from the Tex-Mex border to Indianapolis...nowhere else.
And this segment only will run from I-55 to roughly the the Tennessee border.
Maybe Mississippi is just jealous that the Outer Memphis Bypass/I-269 didn't get the full I-69 designation??

How about Tennessee regional leaders hoping that a $150,000 grant from the U.S. Commerce Department's Economic Development Administration will help I-269 become the "epicenter of North American trade" (in addition to identifying the corridor as the "I-269 International Trade Corridor")?:
http://blog.memphisdailynews.com/?p=3836

The U.S. Commerce Department's Economic Development Administration announced Friday, Dec. 30, a $150,000 grant for Shelby County Government to help develop a comprehensive planning effort to assist the county in developing the Interstate 69/Interstate 269 International Trade Corridor as well as addressing ways to mitigate flooding along the corridor.
The investment comes as part of disaster supplemental funding provided to EDA by Congress in response to massive flooding in the region in May 2010. Shelby Country was also declared a disaster area by the Federal Emergency Management Agency in response to the flooding ....
This investment will help create the blueprint and implementation strategies that regional leaders hope will make the I-269 International Trade Corridor the epicenter of North American trade. The comprehensive planning efforts will provide local government with the information and guidance to be utilized in future development plans along the Corridor.
The plan will also address strategies to mitigate flooding along the corridor area in an effort to protect development opportunities in the region.
"The planning effort will promote growth of existing industry clusters as well as identify and promote emerging clusters in the region,"  said Shelby County Mayor Mark Luttrell.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.