News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

North Carolina

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WashuOtaku

Quote from: mvak36 on March 31, 2016, 04:08:32 PM
Quote from: WashuOtaku on March 31, 2016, 03:26:33 PM
If they are asking for I-50 for US 70, then I could see NCDOT ask for I-60 along US 64/US 17, because why not.  :bigass:
Lol.  Doesn't US 60 end somewhere near Norfolk though?

US 60 goes through Norfolk to end in Virginia Beach, so yes.  But think how much this would troll the highway fanatics; something else to complain about besides I-238.  North Carolina having both mystical unicorn interstates 50 and 60, neither of which go cross-country.  Fun times!

mvak36

Quote from: WashuOtaku on March 31, 2016, 04:37:12 PM
US 60 goes through Norfolk to end in Virginia Beach, so yes.  But think how much this would troll the highway fanatics; something else to complain about besides I-238.  North Carolina having both mystical unicorn interstates 50 and 60, neither of which go cross-country.  Fun times!

Good point. I-60 it is then
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

74/171FAN

Quote from: wdcrft63 on March 31, 2016, 02:32:38 PM
Quote from: WashuOtaku on March 31, 2016, 02:17:18 PM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on March 31, 2016, 12:22:51 PM
Quote from: wdcrft63 on March 31, 2016, 12:12:27 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on March 30, 2016, 04:01:33 PM
What will the Interstate designation be? Keep us posted.

It's I-50. Here is an excerpt from an email from Mr. Durwood Stephenson, the director of the Super 70 Corridor Commission:

"The Corridor Commission has recommended I-50 for several reasons; i.e. no conflicts with numbering, must be even number between 46 and 70. AASHTO will make final decision hopefully at their annual meeting in May, 2016."

Does NC 50 not count as a conflict with numbering?  Especially since it is concurrent with US 70 and partly US 401 through Raleigh into Garner

The state could renumber NC 50 to something else, it's not hard for them and they have done this in the past... best example NC 26 --> NC 226.  However, since existing NC 73 and I-73 exist and even cross each other, the current NCDOT may not care.
NC 50 is concurrent with US 70 in Raleigh but not anywhere along the route of the new interstate (NC 50 roughly parallels I-40, not the proposed I-50). The name NC 50 is well known locally and there would probably be strong local opposition to changing it.

Note that NC 50 is supposed to have an interchange with the future NC 540 just west of the current I-40/US 70 (and probably future NC 540) interchange.  I guess that is a non-factor if this comes to fruition.

Official word from the Highway 70 Corridor Commission on I-50 from its March 17 meeting
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

CanesFan27

So it's what the 70 corridor folks suggested. Not what NCDOT may actually request.  Thanks for catching that. Hey only a few weeks til it is known

Rover_0

Quote from: 74/171FAN on March 31, 2016, 12:22:51 PM
Quote from: wdcrft63 on March 31, 2016, 12:12:27 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on March 30, 2016, 04:01:33 PM
What will the Interstate designation be? Keep us posted.

It's I-50. Here is an excerpt from an email from Mr. Durwood Stephenson, the director of the Super 70 Corridor Commission:

"The Corridor Commission has recommended I-50 for several reasons; i.e. no conflicts with numbering, must be even number between 46 and 70. AASHTO will make final decision hopefully at their annual meeting in May, 2016."

Does NC 50 not count as a conflict with numbering?  Especially since it is concurrent with US 70 and partly US 401 through Raleigh into Garner

I'm most partial to I-46 or I-48, as those numbers would be unique and NC-46 and NC-48 are fairly short routes that could be renumbered relatively easily (though there is that issue with VA-46, as it's a continuation of NC-46).
Fixing erroneous shields, one at a time...

wdcrft63

Quote from: CanesFan27 on March 31, 2016, 05:45:04 PM
So it's what the 70 corridor folks suggested. Not what NCDOT may actually request.  Thanks for catching that. Hey only a few weeks til it is known
That's a good point, although NCDOT is represented on the Corridor Commission and apparently raised no objection. And of course AASHTO can decide on a different number.

The NCDOT Board meets next week, and numbering requests are due to AASHTO later in April.

slorydn1

Well any way, regardless of number, here is a picture of the blank Future Interstate sign from WITN-7 (our local NBC affilliate's) website.

http://media.graytvinc.com/images/future+interstate.jpg
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

74/171FAN

Quote from: wdcrft63 on March 31, 2016, 06:16:59 PM
That's a good point, although NCDOT is represented on the Corridor Commission and apparently raised no objection. And of course AASHTO can decide on a different number.

The NCDOT Board meets next week, and numbering requests are due to AASHTO later in April.

Is there much of a history on AASHTO deciding different numbers?  I have a hard time wondering the criteria for them to deny a request and go in a different direction.  (as in make the corridor I-340 instead of a 2di in this scenario)
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

WashuOtaku

Quote from: 74/171FAN on March 31, 2016, 07:53:12 PM

Is there much of a history on AASHTO deciding different numbers?  I have a hard time wondering the criteria for them to deny a request and go in a different direction.  (as in make the corridor I-340 instead of a 2di in this scenario)

Not really, most of the time they either say yes or no to a request with explanation and may be asked to resubmit again.  So it will likely be whatever North Carolina goes with and if they don't like, the vote and say try again in the Fall.

CanesFan27

Quote from: WashuOtaku on March 31, 2016, 08:04:48 PM

Not really, most of the time they either say yes or no to a request with explanation and may be asked to resubmit again.  So it will likely be whatever North Carolina goes with and if they don't like, the vote and say try again in the Fall.

Not sure about 2di to 3di.  But AASHTO did reject 195 and 185.

froggie

It's not what AASHTO decides.
Quote from: WashuOtaku on March 31, 2016, 08:04:48 PM

Given that it's a potential Interstate we're talking about, it's not what AASHTO decides.  It's what FHWA decides.  AASHTO is just an advisory body here...FHWA has final approval on Interstate route numbers.

CanesFan27

Per NcDoT a proposed designation number for submission has yet to be decided.

https://twitter.com/ncdot/status/715952466630721536

wdcrft63

Quote from: CanesFan27 on April 01, 2016, 02:04:31 PM
Per NcDoT a proposed designation number for submission has yet to be decided.

https://twitter.com/ncdot/status/715952466630721536
Renumbering requests for the May AASHTO meeting must be submitted by Monday, April 18 (same deadline as income taxes).

The Ghostbuster

I think the corridor is too short for a 2 digit interstate with a 0 at the end. But then again, so is Interstate 30.

hbelkins

Quote from: wdcrft63 on April 01, 2016, 03:17:09 PM

Renumbering requests for the May AASHTO meeting must be submitted by Monday, April 18 (same deadline as income taxes).

Why is the tax deadline not Friday the 15th?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

WashuOtaku

Quote from: hbelkins on April 02, 2016, 10:58:18 PM
Quote from: wdcrft63 on April 01, 2016, 03:17:09 PM

Why is the tax deadline not Friday the 15th?

Pulled this from the IRS website:
QuoteWhy is Tax Day April 18?
The regular tax return filing deadline is April 15. However, due to the Washington D.C. Emancipation Day holiday being observed on April 15 instead of April 16, 2016, Tax Day is on the following Monday.

ARMOURERERIC

Wanted to give some kudos to the NC State road people, but also a query:  GSV has updated their sat immagry for Morganton, where I am about to move, and it shows the reconstruction as complete at the I-40 exits for US64, Enola Road, and NC 16 interchanges.  Now, as I posted earlier, these were substandard, with the NC16 into being especially bad.  The kudos is in that that traffic signals at the ramps are all decorative curved mast arms in black.  The one big thing that always stood out to me as "trashy" in NC was the leaning telephone pole supports for the traffic signals.  Now query 1: Seeing similar rebuilds in Asheville on 40 with the same mast arm signals, is this anew statewide standard?  Query 2:  There is a big project to widen Old Enola Road/old NC 18 's approach to Morganton to 4 lanes divided, is this a state project, and why was that approach chosen and not the US 64 approach to town?

HazMatt

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on April 15, 2016, 10:37:41 PM
Wanted to give some kudos to the NC State road people, but also a query:  GSV has updated their sat immagry for Morganton, where I am about to move, and it shows the reconstruction as complete at the I-40 exits for US64, Enola Road, and NC 16 interchanges.  Now, as I posted earlier, these were substandard, with the NC16 into being especially bad.  The kudos is in that that traffic signals at the ramps are all decorative curved mast arms in black.  The one big thing that always stood out to me as "trashy" in NC was the leaning telephone pole supports for the traffic signals.  Now query 1: Seeing similar rebuilds in Asheville on 40 with the same mast arm signals, is this anew statewide standard?  Query 2:  There is a big project to widen Old Enola Road/old NC 18 's approach to Morganton to 4 lanes divided, is this a state project, and why was that approach chosen and not the US 64 approach to town?

For question 2 I would assume it's due to the new(ish) high school there, can't remember if it's Draughn or Patton.  US 64 south of I-40 really has nothing of interest, and I can't remember much traffic going towards Rutherfordton from when I lived that way.

WashuOtaku

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on April 15, 2016, 10:37:41 PM
Query 2:  There is a big project to widen Old Enola Road/old NC 18 's approach to Morganton to 4 lanes divided, is this a state project, and why was that approach chosen and not the US 64 approach to town?

Nearly all roads in the state are owned/maintained by NCDOT, so likely yes; they are not the #2 largest highway system in the U.S. for nothing.  As for US 64, that's not as traveled as the NC 18 route from Gaston County.

Henry

Construction on the Monroe Bypass has begun, with a completion date targeted for 2018:
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/community/south-charlotte/article31539566.html
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

NE2

Quote from: Henry on April 18, 2016, 11:45:37 AM
Construction on the Monroe Bypass has begun, with a completion date targeted for 2018:
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/community/south-charlotte/article31539566.html

QuoteWhen complete, the 20-mile road, running roughly parallel to N.C. 74 from west of Marshville to the Interstate 485 interchange in Matthews, will allow motorists to bypass the stop-and-go traffic along U.S. 74.
Usually I don't give a shit about getting the shield type wrong, but when you have I-74 and US 74 as different routes, it's more important.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

wdcrft63

Quote from: NE2 on April 18, 2016, 12:41:19 PM

QuoteWhen complete, the 20-mile road, running roughly parallel to N.C. 74 from west of Marshville to the Interstate 485 interchange in Matthews, will allow motorists to bypass the stop-and-go traffic along U.S. 74.
Usually I don't give a shit about getting the shield type wrong, but when you have I-74 and US 74 as different routes, it's more important.

The Monroe Expressway will not be part of I-74; Charlotte and Monroe are well to the west of Rockingham, where I-74 and US 74 become concurrent. As a matter of fact, as far as I can tell no route number has been assigned to the Expressway. The project is listed with "-" as the route number in the NCDOT Construction Progress database.

WashuOtaku

Quote from: wdcrft63 on April 18, 2016, 06:25:03 PM
Quote from: NE2 on April 18, 2016, 12:41:19 PM

The Monroe Expressway will not be part of I-74; Charlotte and Monroe are well to the west of Rockingham, where I-74 and US 74 become concurrent. As a matter of fact, as far as I can tell no route number has been assigned to the Expressway. The project is listed with "-" as the route number in the NCDOT Construction Progress database.

The Monroe Bypass will be "US 74 Bypass," it is in several NCDOT documents on its website.  There is also going to be a NC 74, which will exist for a few years in Winston-Salem as the bypass there is being built.

The Ghostbuster

An Interstate 74, a US 74, and a NC 74 all co-existing in North Carolina? This really is the Twilight Zone!

wdcrft63

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on April 20, 2016, 03:04:56 PM
An Interstate 74, a US 74, and a NC 74 all co-existing in North Carolina? This really is the Twilight Zone!
The concurrence of I-74 and US 74 is an unfortunate result of Congressional action, not something that North Carolina sought specifically. NC 74 is simply a placeholder for future sections of I-74, not a separate highway.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.