News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

MODOT: No More Funny Business?

Started by US71, December 17, 2019, 09:42:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

Rep. Tony Lovasco (R-O'Fallon) has filed a bill to prevent MODOT's information boards from posting anything besides road information.  No more cutesy messages.

https://www.news-leader.com/story/news/politics/2019/12/17/missouri-lawmaker-wants-modot-ditch-highway-sign-jokes/2675250001/
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

ozarkman417

There's no harm in putting both bad puns AND road info on a VMS, since the screens can change. I appreciate that MoDOT comes up with something other than "Click it or Ticket" for their VMSs (and as such highlights more ways to keep safe). The only kind of "Road info" I can think of on a clear day that doesn't have a crash or major construction site nearby would be something along the lines of "Minutes to Route XX", and Google has that covered...

Traveling can be a draining and stressful process, so giving travelers a good laugh is certainly a good thing to do. As of writing this there is no hearing scheduled, nor is it on the house calendar.

Scott5114

There's an argument to be made that signs with no relevant message to display should be off to reduce message loading and allow drivers to ignore signs that don't have an urgent message. That argument isn't being made, however.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

GaryV

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 18, 2019, 04:33:17 AM
There's an argument to be made that signs with no relevant message to display should be off to reduce message loading and allow drivers to ignore signs that don't have an urgent message. That argument isn't being made, however.

I saw in the newspaper that when that happened, the highway dept got all kinds of "helpful" phone calls letting them know that a sign was broken ....

Max Rockatansky

If there isn't going to be a traffic advisory on a VMS I'd rather have the genetic information be somewhat amusingly displayed enough through humor.  Otherwise the standard "buckle up,"  "slow down for emergency vehicles,"  "don't text and drive"  or things of the like just all fade into the background.  The humor based messages seem to be way more effective than the generic type.  ADOT in particular has had some zingers that caught on with social media. 

X99

is this because of the "hey teens, buckling up is totes yeet yo" thing
why are there only like 5 people on this forum from south dakota

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

hbelkins

If the signs are already there, might as well use them for something even if there are no urgent traffic alerts to display.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

hotdogPi

Quote from: hbelkins on December 19, 2019, 12:16:20 PM
If the signs are already there, might as well use them for something even if there are no urgent traffic alerts to display.

There are some electronic signs that tell you there's no congestion whenever that is the case.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: X99 on December 19, 2019, 12:09:13 AM

Was that from Missouri?  That message was bad enough to merit discontinuing the English language much less humorous VMS messages. 

ozarkman417

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 19, 2019, 01:44:40 PM

Was that from Missouri?  That message was bad enough to merit discontinuing the English language much less humorous VMS messages.
Taking a very close look at This photo of the VMS, I found it's exact location.

X99

Quote from: ozarkman417 on December 19, 2019, 03:01:33 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 19, 2019, 01:44:40 PM

Taking a very close look at This photo of the VMS, I found it's exact location.
i fixed your twitter link
why are there only like 5 people on this forum from south dakota

jbnv

Regardless of how frivolous this actually is, I'd introduce this proposal in the Louisiana Legislature. I don't think it's either cute or professional, and estimates on travel times are far more useful to me than platitudes.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

Road Hog

TxDOT has had a few good ones, like "Obey speed limits / Don't be a Sooner"  during Red River Showdown week. Nothing wrong with those. Gets the message across.

Plutonic Panda

Yeah I support this bill. Keep these signs strictly for road related information that is urgent, not some cheesy or "˜clever' line. These DOTs need to stop acting like nanny's and cut the crap.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Road Hog on December 23, 2019, 10:39:17 AM
TxDOT has had a few good ones, like “Obey speed limits / Don’t be a Sooner” during Red River Showdown week. Nothing wrong with those. Gets the message across.

Did anyone slow down as a result of the sign?  If not, then how did it get the message across?

In_Correct

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on December 26, 2019, 09:02:36 AM
Yeah I support this bill. Keep these signs strictly for road related information that is urgent, not some cheesy or ‘clever’ line. These DOTs need to stop acting like nanny’s and cut the crap.

Is Missouri the place I saw several information boards saying: "Do Not Forget The Seat Belt. Love Mom." ?
Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

Alps

Quote from: hbelkins on December 19, 2019, 12:16:20 PM
Good thing you're not in charge because that's how you end up with confused motorists. That's the opposite of what national VMS policy groups advocate for.

Scott5114

Quote from: GaryV on December 18, 2019, 08:03:43 AM

I saw in the newspaper that when that happened, the highway dept got all kinds of "helpful" phone calls letting them know that a sign was broken ....

I seem to remember seeing at least one DOT (might have actually been an old MoDOT policy, or perhaps KDOT) that would stave this off by displaying an asterisk on the sign. Periodically it would alternate to the other side of the sign to show that it wasn't "stuck".
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

sprjus4

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 02, 2020, 07:32:15 PM
Quote from: GaryV on December 18, 2019, 08:03:43 AM

I seem to remember seeing at least one DOT (might have actually been an old MoDOT policy, or perhaps KDOT) that would stave this off by displaying an asterisk on the sign. Periodically it would alternate to the other side of the sign to show that it wasn't "stuck".
I've seen this as recently as this summer in Texas around the Corpus Christi area.

ozarkman417

Plenty of examples of MoDOT's VMS messages can be found on their Instagram page: https://www.instagram.com/missouridot/

They are spread throughout the page so you may have to scroll down a bit.

SteveG1988

Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.