Old Spur US 24 in Carrollton, MO

Started by Route66Fan, August 08, 2020, 01:32:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Route66Fan

Here is a couple of pictures of what used to be Spur US 24 in Carrollton, MO.
This road was bypassed by Business 65 & closed in the late 1970's when the current routings of US 65 & 24 were built.
It may have been part of a very early routing of US 24 &, before that, part of Missouri State Highway No. 10, before the routing of that highway East of Carrollton, MO was replaced by US 24.
This road was, I believe, also called the "Carrollton-DeWitt Rd" (I could be wrong about that name.) & was also part of the "North Missouri Cross-State Highway" back in the early 20th century (1910's-1930's).

There is also another stretch of Old Spur US 24 on the East side of US 65, now called County Rd 276, that is still in use, however, the railroad crossing before the intersection with Old US 24 has been removed within the past 10-12 years.

bugo

What was the point of this highway? What roads did it follow? I found CR 276, but I can't figure out how the spur went.

Route66Fan

Quote from: bugo on September 30, 2020, 05:22:42 PM
What was the point of this highway? What roads did it follow? I found CR 276, but I can't figure out how the spur went.
Prior to about 1932, it was the original route into the Eastern part of Carrollton, MO & probably even the original routing of US 24 from 1927 to 1932, when US 24 was moved onto another alignment that went through the Southern end of town & this road was redesignated as Spur 24. This road was closed around 1979, or so, when the current US 24, 65 & Business 65 were built. The roads it followed were Waters St. (Which has actually been renamed as part of Grand Ave.), N. Maple St. & E. Benton St., to the intersection with Mason St. (Old US 65.). The rest of it from East of Grand Ave to where CR 276 is, was mostly torn out, with the rest of it abandoned. The section of abandoned road can be seen in Google Maps here.

-- US 175 --

I've always wondered in what order (prior to the current bypass of course) the routings of US 24 and US 65 passed through Carrollton.

(My grandparents last lived there.)

Mapmikey

Quote from: bugo on September 30, 2020, 05:22:42 PM

US 24 Spur is shown well on the 1936 Carroll County map - https://catalog.archives.gov/id/18559701#.X3ctaQE-P40.link

Also the 1947 Historic Aerial view shows clearly how it used to tie into then-US 24

US 24 Spur is mentioned in the 1971 application for US 65 Bus.  I did not locate any references to the beginning of US 24 Spur.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.