News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

US 93 In Arizona Progress

Started by swbrotha100, February 27, 2015, 03:55:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Ghostbuster

I highly doubt Interstate 11 will make it to Mexico, it definitely won't make it to Canada. Insufficient traffic demand will likely confine Interstate 11 to Arizona and Nevada.

Plutonic Panda

I think the most important part will be Phoenix to Vegas. The next most important part would be Vegas to Reno.

Bobby5280

I think the Vegas to Reno segment of I-11 would be easier to sell if it was built as part of a larger I-11 highway to connect into I-5 in Oregon. The Southern Oregon area (from Klamath Falls to Medford and Grants Pass) would be easier. The other alternative would be going up thru Bend and then taking the US-26 corridor by Mount Hood up into the Portland area. The Dalles and I-84 would be an even easier option. But it would have I-11 ending roughly 80 miles East of Portland rather than connecting into Portland.

Sonic99

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on July 10, 2023, 08:06:09 PM
Forget about making AZ 85 a 3-digit Interstate. Arizona seems allergic to 3dis, given that there was once a 410 and a 510 (both occupied a half-mile segment of what is now part of Interstate 10). There was a proposed Interstate 710 in Tucson that wasn't constructed. Most highways constructed in Arizona after the Interstate System are state highways, so the only Interstates I expect to see are the existing ones and future Interstate 11.

I could be wrong, but is part of the reason the Phoenix loop system doesn't have "Interstate" designations because it's funded through local taxes and not Federal dollars?
If you used to draw freeways on your homework and got reprimanded by your Senior English teacher for doing so, you might be a road geek!

Rothman

Quote from: Sonic99 on July 11, 2023, 02:32:52 AM
Forget about making AZ 85 a 3-digit Interstate. Arizona seems allergic to 3dis, given that there was once a 410 and a 510 (both occupied a half-mile segment of what is now part of Interstate 10). There was a proposed Interstate 710 in Tucson that wasn't constructed. Most highways constructed in Arizona after the Interstate System are state highways, so the only Interstates I expect to see are the existing ones and future Interstate 11.

I could be wrong, but is part of the reason the Phoenix loop system doesn't have "Interstate" designations because it's funded through local taxes and not Federal dollars?
As long as the highways meet the specifications, they could still apply for designation.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Max Rockatansky

That's more or the reason I was given by a ADOT rep when I asked them.  None of the corridors were chargeable and nobody was interested in the red tape of petitioning AASHTO or the FHWA for route numbers.

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 11, 2023, 08:15:42 AM

That's more or the reason I was given by a ADOT rep when I asked them.  None of the corridors were chargeable and nobody was interested in the red tape of petitioning AASHTO or the FHWA for route numbers.

The loops do receive some amount of federal aid funding, as they are designated part of the NHS.

Rothman

Quote from: 707 on July 11, 2023, 12:55:11 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 11, 2023, 08:15:42 AM

The loops do receive some amount of federal aid funding, as they are designated part of the NHS.

They don't "receive" the NHPP funding (STBG funds could also be used), but would be eligible for the overall apportionment.

Makes you wonder when the loops were added to the federal-aid system, given their local funding.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

pderocco

Quote from: Bobby5280 on July 10, 2023, 11:37:09 PM
I think the Vegas to Reno segment of I-11 would be easier to sell if it was built as part of a larger I-11 highway to connect into I-5 in Oregon. The Southern Oregon area (from Klamath Falls to Medford and Grants Pass) would be easier. The other alternative would be going up thru Bend and then taking the US-26 corridor by Mount Hood up into the Portland area. The Dalles and I-84 would be an even easier option. But it would have I-11 ending roughly 80 miles East of Portland rather than connecting into Portland.

I could see I-11 roughly following US-395 up to Alturas, then something near to CA-139 to Klamath Falls, then US-97 and US-197 up to the Columbia River.

In about fifty years.

The Ghostbuster

Is there sufficient traffic demand to warrant an Interstate Standard freeway along these alignments? I would say no, and I've never been to California or Oregon.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on July 11, 2023, 08:38:53 PM
Is there sufficient traffic demand to warrant an Interstate Standard freeway along these alignments? I would say no, and I've never been to California or Oregon.

There isn't even viable traffic count north of Las Vegas to justify an Interstate.  So much of this CANAMEX stuff is predicated on "build it and the trucks will come"  rather than actual current traffic counts and projections.

Bobby5280

Considering how much cheaper fuel prices are outside of California (not to mention what a pain in the ass it is to drive thru California) a long distance, high quality bypass route might be very worthwhile.

Traffic counts on the existing 2-lane corridor North of Las Vegas are miniscule because it's a very desolate and arguably dangerous road. I personally hate driving on rural 2-lane roads as part of long distance road trips. Head on collisions are a real possibility (especially with so many people unable to put down the damned phones while driving). Lots of people go well out of their way to stay on 4-lane roads or even Interstates.

pderocco

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 11, 2023, 08:44:05 PM
There isn't even viable traffic count north of Las Vegas to justify an Interstate.  So much of this CANAMEX stuff is predicated on "build it and the trucks will come"  rather than actual current traffic counts and projections.

They might actually come. I think nothing pleases truckers more than freeways with little other traffic, as long as there is the occasional truck stop. And in Nevada, some other things...

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: pderocco on July 11, 2023, 11:35:04 PM

They might actually come. I think nothing pleases truckers more than freeways with little other traffic, as long as there is the occasional truck stop. And in Nevada, some other things...

Both which the current corridor of US 95 lacks.  Find me a compelling reason to open a gas station in the likes of Coaldale or Goldfield.  That and where to draw employees from.

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: Bobby5280 on July 10, 2023, 11:37:09 PM
That would be interesting to think about. It'll take an entirely new mentality in Oregon to support a new long distance interstate through there unfortunately. One last fictional comment and I'm done but at some point it might be worth looking into to creating an interstate from I-80 around Winnemucca and pointing north towards Boise if they keep up their growth.

I love the Oregon idea but I bet we'd have a better shot at resurrecting the I-710 tunnel in LA before Oregon starts building new freeways again.

Bobby5280

I think Oregon is on the verge of going through serious economic and political upheaval due to the worsening shit-show in the Portland area. My boss' youngest son lives in Portland. He liked living there at first several years ago. Now he hates it and wants to leave (and maybe even move back to Oklahoma). He's not the only "Portlander" looking to escape. The city has been losing population since 2020. The exodus may accelerate dramatically because city (and state) leadership appears to be completely out of touch. Residents and business owners are feeling like they have no recourse. So they're starting to move to other locations, such as the Boise metro, or Phoenix or various places in Texas.

With that being said, it might be politically feasible in the future to extend a new Interstate from the Reno area to I-5 in Southern Oregon.

pderocco

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on July 11, 2023, 08:38:53 PM

Of course not. That's why I said, "In fifty years." LV to Reno is the most desolate part, and the least likely to be upgraded. But over the next two generations, I could imagine significant development happening in NE California, around Susanville and in the Pitt River valley. And the same for the US-97 corridor in Oregon: Klamath Falls, La Pine, Bend, Madras, The Dalles. I think an Interstate through there is more likely than, say, extending I-70 into California, as some people persist in dreaming about.

Of course, if we all have flying cars by then, we won't need roads...

The Ghostbuster

DJStephens

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 11, 2023, 11:59:48 PM
There isn't even viable traffic count north of Las Vegas to justify an Interstate.  So much of this CANAMEX stuff is predicated on "build it and the trucks will come"  rather than actual current traffic counts and projections.

Both which the current corridor of US 95 lacks.  Find me a compelling reason to open a gas station in the likes of Coaldale or Goldfield.  That and where to draw employees from.
Believe Goldfield was the town featured in the cult film "Vanishing Point" (1971), in which a speed pill addled driver (Barry Newman) finds himself in a situation where he needs to get a car (1970 Dodge Challenger) from Denver to California as fast as possible.   There was a radio DJ in Goldfield "Super Soul" (Cleavon Little) who became aware of the chase, and urged Newman to continue, and evade the cops.   

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: DJStephens on October 01, 2023, 01:59:22 PM
There isn't even viable traffic count north of Las Vegas to justify an Interstate.  So much of this CANAMEX stuff is predicated on "build it and the trucks will come"  rather than actual current traffic counts and projections.

Believe Goldfield was the town featured in the cult film "Vanishing Point" (1971), in which a speed pill addled driver (Barry Newman) finds himself in a situation where he needs to get a car (1970 Dodge Challenger) from Denver to California as fast as possible.   There was a radio DJ in Goldfield "Super Soul" (Cleavon Little) who became aware of the chase, and urged Newman to continue, and evade the cops.

Yes and for some reason they note Goldfield to be in Utah.

US 89

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 01, 2023, 02:06:31 PM

Yes and for some reason they note Goldfield to be in Utah.

Maybe they confused it with Gold Hill?

The Ghostbuster

Well, the US 93/Interstate 40 interchange begins construction next year, with a completion date of 2026: https://azdot.gov/projects/northwest-district-projects/i-40us-93-west-kingman-traffic-interchange.

Rothman

It's a fun movie.  "Huh.  Just watching him drive around is getting boring.  Let's through in a naked woman on a motorcycle." -- Screenwriter, probably.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Rothman on October 02, 2023, 12:55:02 PM

It's a fun movie.  "Huh.  Just watching him drive around is getting boring.  Let's through in a naked woman on a motorcycle." -- Screenwriter, probably.

Even still, Vanishing Point has some of the best "driving around" scenes in film history. 

kdk

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on October 01, 2023, 10:35:22 PM
Well, the US 93/Interstate 40 interchange begins construction next year, with a completion date of 2026: https://azdot.gov/projects/northwest-district-projects/i-40us-93-west-kingman-traffic-interchange.

Very happy to see this starting!  The backups have been worse my last few trips even outside of the usual weekends where it's always been an issue.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.