Pictures: CT160 carried over the CT River via nation's oldest continuous ferry

Started by wytout, October 04, 2009, 03:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wytout

We were out for a drive this afternoon and took a ride down through Glastonbury, CT.

We ended up on Route 160 westbound.  Route 160 is one of 2 routes in CT carried by
ferry over the CT River.  What's unique about this ferry is that it is billed as the nation's
oldest continuously operated ferry (I assume that means operated every year, as it
does not operate year round, only from May1 to Oct 31).

Anyway I snapped some pictures and put up a quick album here:
http://www.wytout.com/personal/160ferry.html
-Chris

Alps

Very nice!  I took the other ferry and I've also taken CT 160 otherwise.
www.alpsroads.net/roads/ct/ct_160/index.html
(Can't find the ferry photos...)

mightyace

Very interesting especially to see a ferry operating for over 350 years! (at least over here in North America)

Now, I wonder when they'll start accepting EZ-Pass.  :hmm:
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

wytout

Yah, it was actually a really nice day and they have an area to park there and just enjoy the spot. I always knew it was there but never bothered to go down there and see it before today.
The picture quality is a little lacking because I forgot the Canon, and had to use my Blackberry to snap them.

EZ pass  :-D lol nothing is "EZ" here in CT  :no:
-Chris

wytout

I haven't been to the chester hadlyme ferry on 148 yet but I do plan to go that way one of these days.
-Chris

kurumi

This makes for a good trivia question: California, Utah, Colorado and other states have state highway closures during the winter (e.g. in the Sierra Nevada). Which two Connecticut state highways have seasonal closures?

Even state residents might try to think of high-elevation routes (but the state's high point is 2,380 feet), but the answers (CT 160 and 148) are down near sea level.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.