Keeping track of personal and family best speeds

Started by Daniel Fiddler, August 25, 2021, 02:18:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel Fiddler

How fast have you and your family personally driven on various roads?

This is my map of personal best velocities of myself and my family.

To be fair, all of us that are still alive (some are deceased) except maybe my first cousin have slowed down quite a bit, some more than others.

You will notice that the Parkway between Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg has 5 personal bests.  It actually got started by my late aunt, who said nobody could beat her top speed of 60 mph.  My mother then beat it, then my aunt did, then I did, then my late sister tried to beat mine but got scared and backed off when she was 5 mph less than me, lol.

Enjoy!  :)

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?hl=en&hl=en&mid=1ZS1n6CHRQpiwRgzqxDNn5zRyFUHaDwzJ&ll=31.687615679811476%2C-84.51861070000002&z=6

kphoger

Probably my two fastest:

K-25 – 120 mph (Kansas)
I-80 – 95 mph (Illinois)
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

TheHighwayMan3561

105 MPH - I-25 in Wyoming
90 MPH - Sherburne County Road 72 in central Minnesota
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

JayhawkCO

I think my two fastest:
115 mph on I-295 in Jacksonville (when it was still FL9A and only extended from JTB to Baymeadows) (1999)
105 mph on I-435 east of Kansas City International Airport (driving my roommate's parents' BMW 7-series and honestly didn't realize how fast I was going because it was so quiet) (2002)

Fastest I've been in the past almost 20 years is probably somewhere around 90 while trying to pass someone on a rural two lane road that I had been stuck behind for at least 15-20 minutes.

Chris

Max Rockatansky

I drove my 2010 Camaro up to it's governed 155 MPH limit once on a track.  The fastest I've ever been on an actual highway was 138 MPH in the same Camaro approaching the Boundary Cone on pre-1953 US 66 on the Oatman Highway.  I've been over 120 MPH a couple times in my 2016 Challenger but none of the roads were particularly really exciting. 

Rothman

Haven't gone that fast, but hit 95 much to my kids' delight on I-15 south of Idaho Falls.  That's probably the fastest I've driven.

That said, in 1993, I broke the local record for traversing Rattlesnake Gutter Road in Leverett, MA.  Somehow hit 50 mph on it on my 1981 Honda Civic hatchback at one point with a witness in the car with me.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Ketchup99

My fastest is also 95mph; somewhere on I-80 between Kylertown and Bellefonte.

My second-best is 92mph, on I-99 near Tyrone. I wish I'd taken advantage of Florida's Alligator Alley while I had the chance, but I don't think I broke 85mph on that road.

Scott5114

I punched it up to 100 once on a county road in McClain County, OK once, just to say that I had done it. It was scary enough that I only felt the need to do it once.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

renegade

117 mph on my Harley on I-96.

137 mph in my Dodge Charger Pursuit along I-94, but I am certain I could have gone for more.

My Ram 1500 is governed out at 105, so no help there.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

I-55

90 mph on I-69 in an '04 Pilot. Given most of my rural driving has involved parents in the car there haven't been opportunities to go faster.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

webny99

Around 100 a couple of times, but only on freeways/expressways (personal favorite road for high speeds: NY 531).

I would not feel comfortable going that fast on a two-lane road, no matter how rural. Any two-lane road built to a standard high enough to do so would likely be too busy during daylight hours, and there's no way I'd try it at night.

oscar

I maxed out my 1996 BMW 328i on US 50 in Nevada, at a governor-limited 130mph (the speedometer showed 136 mph). This was on a long, flat two-lane straightaway east of Fallon. No other traffic visible for several miles ahead and behind, clear views of anything along the side of the road, and with the Top Gun training program controlling the skies above the highway, aerial speed patrols were unlikely.

Earlier that trip, I probably topped 120 mph (indicated speed 126 mph) on I-94 in eastern Montana. No other traffic in sight, and at the time Montana had no fixed daytime speed limit for cars (now that highway has an 80 mph limit).

Age has caught up to me since then, and I'm not going to try this stuff again.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

SkyPesos

Mine isn't that high compared to sone others: 85 mph in the left lane of a 70 mph zone.

My dad got just a bit above 90 mph, also in a 70 zone.

Looking forward to go to Germany some time and see what 200+ km/h on the autobahn is like.

ET21

Fastest was 120 mph on backroads in Ogle County, IL
Second fastest was 90 mph on I-90 (IL)
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

US 89

The fastest I've ever gone was on a long downhill straightaway section of Utah 72 north of Loa. I hadn't seen another car for miles and figured that if there was ever a time I would drive 100, this was it. I floored it up to 101 for a second and then slowed back down. I doubt I'll do that again - my car didn't like going that fast and it felt a little too scary for my liking.

I do occasionally break 90 in certain 2-lane passing situations, but not by much. I don't think I've ever broken 85 on an interstate.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: Daniel Fiddler on August 25, 2021, 02:18:18 PM
How fast have you and your family personally driven on various roads?

This is my map of personal best velocities of myself and my family.

To be fair, all of us that are still alive (some are deceased) except maybe my first cousin have slowed down quite a bit, some more than others.

You will notice that the Parkway between Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg has 5 personal bests.  It actually got started by my late aunt, who said nobody could beat her top speed of 60 mph.  My mother then beat it, then my aunt did, then I did, then my late sister tried to beat mine but got scared and backed off when she was 5 mph less than me, lol.

Enjoy!  :)

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?hl=en&hl=en&mid=1ZS1n6CHRQpiwRgzqxDNn5zRyFUHaDwzJ&ll=31.687615679811476%2C-84.51861070000002&z=6

Unfortunately, I do not have access to my family's records at Nelson Ledges Road Course in NE Ohio. (Granddad, dad, and uncles worked there in the 1970s & 80s)
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

kphoger

I got it up to 110 on my way to work yesterday.  But that's because I now own a vehicle that can switch between mph and km/h with the press of a button.  :)  Speedometer says 50, press a button, and the needle immediately jumps to 80.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jakeroot

Fastest I've driven was 100 mph in a 70 zone. I-5 southbound south of Tumwater, WA. Six lane rural freeway, not many cars and no obvious police. This was just over six years ago.

Within my family, only my father has driven faster. He supposedly hit 171 mph in California in a rented Dodge Charger SRT8 (would have been a 2012 or 2013 model year), the top speed of which was conveniently recorded by our Garmin Nuvi 660.

Takumi

Fastest I've gone is about 105, multiple times in both Virginia and North Carolina. Most recent was on US 264 outside of Greenville, seeing if my Toyota Aristo could reach its 180 km/h speed limiter in 3rd gear, but I ran out of road.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

CoreySamson

Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

renegade

Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

andrepoiy

My father drove 150 km/h in New Brunswick, in a GM minivan. No cops, few other traffic, and we were "racing" a Toyota Yaris doing the same speed.

Daniel Fiddler

Quote from: andrepoiy on August 27, 2021, 10:05:31 AM
My father drove 150 km/h in New Brunswick, in a GM minivan. No cops, few other traffic, and we were "racing" a Toyota Yaris doing the same speed.

Not extremely fast, although for someone who does not want speed limits faster than 100 km / h anywhere in the US or Canada, the apple did fall far from the tree.

7/8

My guess is around 160 km/h (100 mph) on the 401. I didn't even notice until I looked down  :D. I rarely reach 150 since in Ontario, you'll lose your licence for 30 days and your car for 14 days.

interstatefan990

Personal max: 126mph on an unusually empty stretch of the NYS Thruway leaving Albany. Kind of a one-and-done thing for me though.
Multi-lane roundabouts are an abomination to mankind.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.