News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Toyota owners have to pay $8/mo to keep using their key fob for remote start

Started by ZLoth, December 13, 2021, 02:22:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CtrlAltDel

We'll see. They'll probably just make it free for a year or so and then try again.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Scott5114

It's a lot harder to make customers swallow paying for something that was free before and then suddenly has a fee attached to it than it is to have it cost money from the very start. Once it's free, people see it as being valueless and are more reluctant to pay for it than if it had been originally priced at, say, $1.

Case in point, water at a fast food restaurant. Water is free, but soda costs over $1...even though the difference in cost to the seller is on the order of a few cents. But people are used to paying for soda and getting water for "free" out of the tap at home, so a restaurant is able to sell soda for a ridiculous markup, while not being able to charge anything for water.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 25, 2021, 02:23:29 PM
It's a lot harder to make customers swallow paying for something that was free before and then suddenly has a fee attached to it than it is to have it cost money from the very start. Once it's free, people see it as being valueless and are more reluctant to pay for it than if it had been originally priced at, say, $1.

Case in point, water at a fast food restaurant. Water is free, but soda costs over $1...even though the difference in cost to the seller is on the order of a few cents. But people are used to paying for soda and getting water for "free" out of the tap at home, so a restaurant is able to sell soda for a ridiculous markup, while not being able to charge anything for water.

No doubt. However, consumer preference is not necessarily determinative. Especially with the whole X as a service business model, which tends to eliminate all other options.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

kkt

Quote from: triplemultiplex on December 13, 2021, 05:51:46 PM
I hate this shit where you "buy" something but don't actually own it.  The future wasn't supposed to suck.

:clap:

kkt

Quote from: vdeane on December 18, 2021, 10:53:43 PM
Radio Garden looks interesting, though it only has three of my presets in their system.  Also, they should probably remove CKOI from their system since the stream is geoblocked.

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on December 18, 2021, 08:50:58 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on December 18, 2021, 02:07:54 PM
Regarding things that stop working, the digital clock in my 2004 Acura TL can no longer be adjusted. The software for the time and date worked up to 2021 and now no longer functions; Acura is unwilling to update it. So during DST the clock is about 57 minutes slow (at this time of year, it's off by a couple of minutes). If I want it to be accurate, I have to pull a certain fuse and reinsert it at the correct time of night, and that's too much trouble. So I just have to remind myself not to rely on the in-car clock for eight months a year.

Here's a solution, move to the CT time zone during those 8 months.  Problem solved.  :bigass:
The Connecticut time zone?

:-D

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kkt on December 25, 2021, 05:30:20 PM
I hate this shit where you "buy" something but don't actually own it.  The future wasn't supposed to suck.

Has the future ever really been what we've all wanted? 

formulanone

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 25, 2021, 05:52:41 PM
Quote from: kkt on December 25, 2021, 05:30:20 PM

Has the future ever really been what we've all wanted?

Even in the future, nothing works.

Duke87

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 18, 2021, 05:17:09 PM
Regarding things that stop working, the digital clock in my 2004 Acura TL can no longer be adjusted. The software for the time and date worked up to 2021 and now no longer functions; Acura is unwilling to update it. So during DST the clock is about 57 minutes slow (at this time of year, it's off by a couple of minutes). If I want it to be accurate, I have to pull a certain fuse and reinsert it at the correct time of night, and that's too much trouble. So I just have to remind myself not to rely on the in-car clock for eight months a year.

There's no manual hour and minute adjust? Who signed off on that?

This sounds like an echo Y2K issue. Some bit of code in that system stores the year as two digits, because rather than changing that the kludge fix way back when was to make values from 0-20 = 20XX while leaving 21-99 as 19XX. Then, some other bit of code which is necessary to update the time has an internal epoch for which 1921 is not a valid date, so it crashes when you try to launch it and the time cannot be updated.

Upshot is the clock may be able to be changed again come 2070, if the car lasts that long. :-D

If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

vdeane

Quote from: Duke87 on December 26, 2021, 11:14:47 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on December 18, 2021, 05:17:09 PM

There's no manual hour and minute adjust? Who signed off on that?

This sounds like an echo Y2K issue. Some bit of code in that system stores the year as two digits, because rather than changing that the kludge fix way back when was to make values from 0-20 = 20XX while leaving 21-99 as 19XX. Then, some other bit of code which is necessary to update the time has an internal epoch for which 1921 is not a valid date, so it crashes when you try to launch it and the time cannot be updated.

Upshot is the clock may be able to be changed again come 2070, if the car lasts that long. :-D

If a year between 1921-1969 would just crash the system, why not assign 21-69 to be 20xx instead of remaining 19xx?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Duke87

Quote from: vdeane on December 27, 2021, 04:30:26 PM
If a year between 1921-1969 would just crash the system, why not assign 21-69 to be 20xx instead of remaining 19xx?

That would require that the people programming the system have successfully foreseen this would be a problem once the cars they were building got to be 15+ years old. At least one of the conflicting bits of code (assuming I am correct about the nature of the problem) was probably written by others, so they likely did not.

It's not like this problem is unique to Acura either. You may recall how at midnight on January 1, 2020 all of NYC's parking meters suddenly ceased being able to accept credit cards, because the meters were timestamping transactions as being in 1920 and card issuers were thus rejecting them as invalid.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

kkt

They were contracted to make a fix for the y2k problem, not to prevent it from happening again :)

Scott5114

The vast majority of modern computers internally store dates and times as the number of seconds since midnight on January 1, 1970. Times before then stored as negative numbers, of course. Thus if you have any sort of device that's having trouble with arbitrary dates and times, the device manufacturer decided to code time in an idiosyncratic way and should be whapped in the face with a rolled-up newspaper.

Of course, eventually the number of seconds since midnight on January 1, 1970 will be too big for computers to handle, unless you...get a bigger computer. For 32-bit computers, date overflow will happen in the early morning hours of January 19, 2038, at which point the date will reset to December 13, 1901. Of course, for 64-bit computers like the one you're probably reading this on, the overflow date is 292 billion years from now, so the problem is already solved, but there are some embedded systems that only have 32-bit processors that basically can't be updated without junking the device they're installed in.

vdeane

Meanwhile, my point and shoot digital camera can only store years between 2006 and 2025 for whatever reason.  Sometime in the next four years, I'm going to need to replace it unless I decide to do some post-processing to fix the year metadata on all photos.  Probably easier just to replace (especially as it probably is showing its age; I've had it since 2007), presuming point and shoot cameras are still made then.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Scott5114

Quote from: vdeane on December 28, 2021, 12:55:33 PM
Meanwhile, my point and shoot digital camera can only store years between 2006 and 2025 for whatever reason.  Sometime in the next four years, I'm going to need to replace it unless I decide to do some post-processing to fix the year metadata on all photos.  Probably easier just to replace (especially as it probably is showing its age; I've had it since 2007), presuming point and shoot cameras are still made then.

That doesn't even make sense as anything but an arbitrary restriction; 20 is 10100, so if you're dealing with a 5-bit restriction (and who uses five bits?!) you should still at least have a range of 31 years (11111 = 31).

Since you use Linux, I imagine it wouldn't be too hard to write a script of some kind (shell, Python, Perl, what have you) that adds 20 years to the EXIF date of any file given to it.

bugo

Another reason not to buy a Toyota. Most mediocre, milquetoast, anodyne cars in the world. The only thing they have going for them is the "reliable" stereotype, which is a moot point these days because virtually every modern car not built in Italy is reliable.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: bugo on December 28, 2021, 04:39:00 PM
Another reason not to buy a Toyota. Most mediocre, milquetoast, anodyne cars in the world. The only thing they have going for them is the "reliable" stereotype, which is a moot point these days because virtually every modern car not built in Italy is reliable.

Land Rovers say hi.  The old joke that 90% of all Land Rovers made are still on the road; the other 10% actually made it home.

SectorZ

They and Honda have spent the past 20 years living off that reliability mantle without actually advancing like everyone else.

Companies like Mazda are going to start blowing them out of the water pretty soon.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: SectorZ on December 28, 2021, 05:02:32 PM

They and Honda have spent the past 20 years living off that reliability mantle without actually advancing like everyone else.

Companies like Mazda are going to start blowing them out of the water pretty soon.

I feel like Kia is the one that has taken advantage the most.

vdeane

Meanwhile, those of us who prefer to buy cars and not techno gizmos on wheels like that they're not "advancing" like everyone else.  Touchscreens aren't exactly safe to use while driving either, no idea why they're all the rage right now.

kkt

Quote from: vdeane on December 28, 2021, 08:47:20 PM

Meanwhile, those of us who prefer to buy cars and not techno gizmos on wheels like that they're not "advancing" like everyone else.  Touchscreens aren't exactly safe to use while driving either, no idea why they're all the rage right now.

kalvado

Once rear view cameras became mandatory, so did larger screens.
And steering wheel buttons along with voice control allow to minimal touchscreen use while driving.

Molandfreak

Quote from: kalvado on December 28, 2021, 10:23:04 PM

Once rear view cameras became mandatory, so did larger screens.
And steering wheel buttons along with voice control allow to minimal touchscreen use while driving.
Modern touchscreens will also lock you out of doing much of anything while the car is driving, unless you confirm that you're a passenger.

I don't know, it seems like having calls, a GPS, and music integrated with a touchscreen and some basic controls in the wheel is a much safer option than the old ways of having these things while driving.
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

Scott5114

Quote from: Molandfreak on December 28, 2021, 11:56:05 PM
Modern touchscreens will also lock you out of doing much of anything while the car is driving, unless you confirm that you're a passenger.

A person would never lie to a computer, would they?

Big John

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 29, 2021, 01:39:20 AM

Or a weight sensor in the passenger seat, such it was for seat belt compliance.

Scott5114

Quote from: Big John on December 29, 2021, 01:57:11 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on December 29, 2021, 01:39:20 AM

Or a weight sensor in the passenger seat, such it was for seat belt compliance.

It would be pretty bogus if you weren't allowed to change the radio station or climate controls because your passenger seat weight sensor went out.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.