News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Towns that are not pronounced as they’re written

Started by roadman65, May 27, 2022, 10:15:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on June 20, 2022, 05:57:57 PM
That pronounciation for Buena Vista completely throws me off, since it's not what I, a native Spanish speaker, would say.

It can get weird, too.  As an example of an English place name in a Spanish-speaking country:

Back in 2001, I was at the bus station in Cd. Chihuahua, buying tickets to the town of Creel.  I told the ticket agent:  Dos boletos a /CREH-EL/, por favor.  She asked me to repeat myself, and then she caught on that I meant /CREE-L/.  I knew the name didn't look Spanish, but I assumed its pronunciation had been Spanish-ified.  Nope.

It turns out the town was named after then-governor Enrique Creel, who was the son of a man from Kentucky who served under Lincoln as US Consul in Chihuahua, and that the name of the town has retained its gringo pronunciation.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

bwana39

Bogata TX https://goo.gl/maps/y72ooqwqqkaW88M1A

Said Baa GO ta

Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

Rick Powell

Quote from: Brandon on May 28, 2022, 03:44:43 PM
Bourbonnais is pronounced bour-bon-ay not as you have above.  All the Kankakee area folks I've spoken with pronounce it that way.
True, the S is is silent, except for the people who pronounce it Bur-BONE-iss. Which I have heard.

nexus73

Coquille OR is pronounced koh-keel.  It is the county seat of Coos County OR. 

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

roadman65

La Jolla, CA is the famous La Hoya you often hear about.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

1995hoo

Quote from: roadman65 on June 27, 2022, 11:57:13 AM

A young boy is on a plane home from California after visiting his grandparents for the summer and he's telling the lady next to him how much he enjoyed his summer in "San Joe's." She finally says, "Young man, in California the 'J's are pronounced like 'H's. How long were you in San 'Ho-zay'?"

He thinks for a minute and responds, "During Hune and Huly."
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

So it's pronounced exactly as it's spelled?
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: kphoger on June 27, 2022, 03:12:51 PM

Not as far as English pronunciation rules go, no. This thread has gone back and forth on spelling in English versus other languages.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

webny99

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 27, 2022, 12:20:43 PM

A young boy is on a plane home from California after visiting his grandparents for the summer and he's telling the lady next to him how much he enjoyed his summer in "San Joe's." She finally says, "Young man, in California the 'J's are pronounced like 'H's. How long were you in San 'Ho-zay'?"

That reminds me of this joke, which I first heard from my dad probably 15 years ago or more.

kphoger

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on June 27, 2022, 03:24:58 PM

Not as far as English pronunciation rules go, no.

Neither is San Diego, CA.
Neither is San Juan, TX.
Neither is La Puente, CA.
Neither is Nogales, AZ.
Neither is Gonzales County, TX.
Neither is La Junta, CO.
Neither is San Joaquin, CA.
Male pronouns, please.

webny99

Quote from: webny99 on June 27, 2022, 03:38:10 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on June 27, 2022, 12:20:43 PM

That reminds me of this joke, which I first heard from my dad probably 15 years ago or more.

And read the comments at your own risk. The amount of people saying they don't get it is astounding... as is the fact that anyone might be hearing this joke for the first time. It's got to be one of the oldest joke out there; as one commenter said, it's old enough to file for social security.  :-D

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: kphoger on June 27, 2022, 03:39:32 PM

Neither is San Juan, TX.
Neither is Nogales, AZ.
Neither is La Junta, CO.

I don't get the point you're trying to make here.
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

kphoger

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on June 27, 2022, 03:48:59 PM

Quote from: kphoger on June 27, 2022, 03:39:32 PM

Neither is San Juan, TX.
Neither is Nogales, AZ.
Neither is La Junta, CO.

I don't get the point you're trying to make here.

All those towns are pronounced pretty much exactly as they're spelled–just with some slight Americanization of the vowels.  My point is that it isn't noteworthy.
Male pronouns, please.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: kphoger on June 27, 2022, 03:56:50 PM
All those towns are pronounced pretty much exactly as they're spelled

Only in Spanish, though, which is one heck of an asterisk.

kphoger

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on June 27, 2022, 04:10:37 PM

My point is that "in Spanish" is a gigantic, neon-flashing asterisk when it comes to place names in this country.
Male pronouns, please.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: kphoger on June 27, 2022, 04:27:59 PM

My point is that "in Spanish" is a gigantic, neon-flashing asterisk when it comes to place names in this country.

As long as we agree that it's a big asterisk.

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on June 27, 2022, 04:27:59 PM

Agreed. If you look at San Jose and really, truly think it should be "San Joe's" then you have a problem.

kphoger

I once knew a family from the small town of Ludell, KS (current population 73).  He was an old farmer named Fran, and his wife was–well, an old farmer's wife.  In his retirement, Fran had a part-time desk job at some store in Atwood–maybe a feed and seed store or something, I don't remember.  Anyway, through that job he became acquainted and eventually pretty good friends with a Mexican migrant from Uriangato (Guanajuato) named José.  He would work here in Kansas for a while, then he'd drive down to Guanajuato for a while, then return to Kansas and repeat.

One day, José called Fran's house, but he wasn't home so his wife took a message.  "Hosa called 2:50 pm" or something like that.  When Fran got home and read the message, he about laughed the hair right off the top of his head.  When José later read the note, he exclaimed, "MY NAME IS NOT OSA!"
Male pronouns, please.

Rick Powell

Quote from: JayhawkCO on June 27, 2022, 05:42:05 PM
Agreed. If you look at San Jose and really, truly think it should be "San Joe's" then you have a problem.
Unless you're in Illinois. I have heard it pronounced "San Joe's" but a native of the town I went to college with pronounced it "San Joe".

kirbykart

webny99

Quote from: kirbykart on July 20, 2022, 04:27:52 PM
Skaneateles, NY. Pronounced "Skinny atlas".

I've never liked that one. I feel like if you're trying to say it as fast as possible, it should be "skan-adles" (rhyming with ladles) and if you're trying to say it as it looks on paper, it should be "skan-ee-ah-tell-ees"

kirbykart

Quote from: webny99 on July 20, 2022, 05:07:22 PM
Quote from: kirbykart on July 20, 2022, 04:27:52 PM
Skaneateles, NY. Pronounced "Skinny atlas".

I've never liked that one. I feel like if you're trying to say it as fast as possible, it should be "skan-adles" (rhyming with ladles) and if you're trying to say it as it looks on paper, it should be "skan-ee-ah-tell-ees"
Yeah, I never understood the logic behind that one either.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.