National Boards > Road Enthusiasts Meetings

Omaha "city meet" - April 29, 2023

<< < (3/8) > >>

paulthemapguy:
My brother lived in Omaha for a couple years, and here are some of the memorable road elements I remember.

The Dodge Street/US6 viaduct from I-680 west is a wacky bi-level freeway unique to the area https://goo.gl/maps/yy94pgUGv2tTKhED7

...And farther east along Dodge Street, the reversible lanes with their overhead signals were remarkable too. Dashed double-yellow lines, anyone?
https://goo.gl/maps/VT17Fr248TrzxVFp8

Lastly, I found the diagonally-oriented overhead truss arms an interesting setup for signal construction.
https://goo.gl/maps/iukEHCeqojzaYDMFA

okroads:
This was on my radar when you first mentioned this idea to me years ago, and it's even more on my radar now that I live closer to Omaha. Will be keeping an eye on this meet for updates.

roadwaywiz95:
A few notes/tips from me following my quick visit to the Omaha area today:

The large-scale I-29/480 reconstruction project through Council Bluffs is well underway and involves replacements of ramps and reconstruction of freeway roadways across town. The project should still be in full swing come next April, so there will likely be construction-related things to see, as well as highway/street closures to keep in mind.

Still a few old non-reflective button copy assemblies along I-680 north of Omaha - hopefully they'll still be around come next year. The I-680 Mormon Bridges on the Missouri River are interesting and worth a quick side trip if bridges are your thing.

Speaking of bridges, the Bob Kerrey Pedestrian Bridge is a unique cable-stayed bridge across the Missouri River near downtown Omaha that's built on a curved alignment and has become a popular destination for folks in the bridge enthusiasts community since it opened in 2008.

Finally, the city of Lincoln is about 45 minutes west of Omaha and is home to what I consider to be among the most impressive State Capitol buildings in the country. There's also the University of Nebraska main campus and the aforementioned South Lincoln Beltway project out that way as well if those appeal to you.

All in all, definitely enough going on out that way to support a meet in '23.

A.J. Bertin:

--- Quote from: roadwaywiz95 on July 04, 2022, 10:39:20 PM ---A few notes/tips from me following my quick visit to the Omaha area today:

The large-scale I-29/480 reconstruction project through Council Bluffs is well underway and involves replacements of ramps and reconstruction of freeway roadways across town. The project should still be in full swing come next April, so there will likely be construction-related things to see, as well as highway/street closures to keep in mind.

Still a few old non-reflective button copy assemblies along I-680 north of Omaha - hopefully they'll still be around come next year. The I-680 Mormon Bridges on the Missouri River are interesting and worth a quick side trip if bridges are your thing.

Speaking of bridges, the Bob Kerrey Pedestrian Bridge is a unique cable-stayed bridge across the Missouri River near downtown Omaha that's built on a curved alignment and has become a popular destination for folks in the bridge enthusiasts community since it opened in 2008.

Finally, the city of Lincoln is about 45 minutes west of Omaha and is home to what I consider to be among the most impressive State Capitol buildings in the country. There's also the University of Nebraska main campus and the aforementioned South Lincoln Beltway project out that way as well if those appeal to you.

All in all, definitely enough going on out that way to support a meet in '23.

--- End quote ---

Thank you for sharing this!   :colorful:

SD Mapman:

--- Quote from: roadwaywiz95 on July 04, 2022, 10:39:20 PM ---Speaking of bridges, the Bob Kerrey Pedestrian Bridge is a unique cable-stayed bridge across the Missouri River near downtown Omaha that's built on a curved alignment and has become a popular destination for folks in the bridge enthusiasts community since it opened in 2008.

--- End quote ---
I've ran over that; it was quite interesting! On other bridge notes, there's also the public art bridges in Council Bluffs if anyone's interested in those. There's also the (I believe) last toll bridge across the Missouri at Bellevue (costs $1).

I was going to chime in about other things to see (since going back and forth from the Hills to KC on a semi-regular basis for 5 years and having family just west of Omaha has afforded me the opportunity to go pretty much everywhere in the city), but it looks like y'all have covered most everything!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version