News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

WV 4 in North Central WV

Started by tollboothrob, May 06, 2011, 03:21:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tollboothrob

Anyone (H.B.?) know anything about historic termini of WV 4, specifically in the Buckhannon/Upshur County area? I've seen old maps signing WV 4 past its current northern terminus at WV 20 in Rock Cave, up WV 20 into and past Buckhannon. I've also seen it signed on old photos from Buckhannon, and secondary (fractional) routes that still read 4/xx well past the current terminus.

Just curious as to where it used to lead. Was it duplexed with WV 20, or did 20 replace it past Rock Cave? With all the people I know in the area, I should be able to just ask someone, but who really cares but us? :)
Longtime roadgeek, MTR and AARoads follower. Employee of NJ Turnpike Operations Department

NE2

It followed WV 20, US 33, WV 28, and US 50 to Virginia. In the other direction, it used US 119 and US 60 to Huntington and most likely Kentucky.
1946 official map
I don't know why WV 4 extended like this; perhaps the state wanted a single diagonal number across the state from Winchester to Huntington. It certainly didn't exist that way in 1929.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

tollboothrob

Thanks! A full answer, and old maps, a perfect time waster for the night shift! I notice on the 1946 map the back road I grew up on is shown. I wonder if it's the old alignment, as they rebuilt it at one point, the old alignment of which runs on the rear border of my property down there. Cool stuff, to me at least. :)

I just noticed the road is solid black, not black/white, so it must be the new one, since the old road wasn't paved. I didn't know it was done all the way back then. Do you have any other parts of the state from 1929, specifically the Upshur County area?
Longtime roadgeek, MTR and AARoads follower. Employee of NJ Turnpike Operations Department

NE2

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

NE2

One more source for more-detailed old topos (pre-route numbers): http://historical.mytopo.com/statemap.cfm?stateabr=WV

froggie

I have several old WV maps and took a look.  WV 4 was designated sometime between 1938 and 1941.  It does not appear on the 1938 map, but does on the 1941 map.  The full border-to-border route survived into the 1970s, but by 1972 had been truncated to Clendenin and Buckhannon.  The truncation from Buckhannon to Rock Cave appears to have happened sometime between 1973 and 1976.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.