News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Were I-40 and I-240 both signed on the north side of Memphis' loop?

Started by bugo, January 20, 2015, 02:35:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

Once we went to Memphis when I was a kid and somehow we got onto I-40 east instead of I-240 east. I'm not sure, but it seems like I-40 and I-240 were both signed on this stretch of highway. Again, this would have been early-mid '80s. Does anybody have any pictures to prove me right?

codyg1985

I don't have pictures or old maps, but I seem to recall some maps showing both of them along the north side of Memphis.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

MikeTheActuary

I have distinct memories of seeing both 40 and 240 shields posted at the entrance ramps around the time of the opening of 240.

What I don't remember is whether they were actually "40" or if they were "TO 40".   I think they were "40", as I remember there was a span of time where 40 was signed on both 240 and the aborted alignment.  (But then again, I think it was quite some time before the 40 shields were actually removed from Sam Cooper Blvd.)

However, I don't have clear memories as to what reassurance signs were posted on the new freeway when it first opened.  I think both were signed, but I'm not sure about my memory on that point.

I grew up referring to that freeway as 240, even after 40 was realigned, until I moved away in 1990.

Alex

Andy and I did find this assembly on Jackson Avenue east at I-40 in 2010. It is just north of the west end of I-240 and is still there per GSV, even after the South I-240 assembly was removed.

MikeTheActuary

Seeing as how that was "my" interchange, I guess that explains why I clearly remember such assemblies.   :)

There are other "NORTH 240" signs at that interchange, although perhaps they're justified because 40 and 240 haven't quite merged at that point in the new configuration.   I checked the other north side interchanges in GSV and didn't see any other hints of the past, except perhaps at Exit 12, where one can find one assembly for "EAST 40 / WEST 240" (which, strictly speaking, ought to be "EAST 40 / TO WEST 240" or "EAST 40 / TO SOUTH 240".

lordsutch

Yep, it was cosigned for a long time (into the 1990s, I think), and the east leg of I-240 from Mount Moriah up to I-40 at least was marked North/South. The average Memphian probably thinks it's still part of I-240.

Alex: that's the midtown Jackson Avenue interchange, where 240 is signed north/south and was actually extended a little bit when I-40 was rebuilt as the through route, so I-240 would correctly be signed at least southbound there. If I had to guess, the southbound I-240 sign wasn't deliberately removed - it was taken out by the accident caused MLGW to be replacing the streetlight in the GSV picture!

Northbound I guess it's a mistake. Or a placeholder for an I-69 shield :)

capt.ron

I remember seeing both I-40 and I-240 shields on the northern part of the loop back in 1985.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.