News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Zip It

Started by US71, March 09, 2015, 12:20:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

ATHD announces new zipper merging technique for I-40
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

bjrush

"as we try something new"

Words not historically associated with AHTD. Way to go Director Bennett!!
Woo Pig Sooie

cjk374

That requires 100% of the drivers on the road to be courteous and well mannered for the zipper to work.  We know the percentages to be different.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

lordsutch

Quote from: cjk374 on March 09, 2015, 04:15:41 PM
That requires 100% of the drivers on the road to be courteous and well mannered for the zipper to work.  We know the percentages to be different.

Or aggressive enforcement of "stay in your lane." A few troopers handing out tickets will reform habits in no time.

The real challenge will be convincing people that this is the right thing to do, particularly after years of being told that you should get over and anyone that doesn't do so immediately is being "discourteous."

jeffandnicole

Quote from: lordsutch on March 09, 2015, 06:09:51 PM
Quote from: cjk374 on March 09, 2015, 04:15:41 PM

Or aggressive enforcement of "stay in your lane." A few troopers handing out tickets will reform habits in no time.

The real challenge will be convincing people that this is the right thing to do, particularly after years of being told that you should get over and anyone that doesn't do so immediately is being "discourteous."

There isn't a law that prohibits you from changing lanes when there's skip lines that permit passing.

However, your 2nd point is right on target. 

US71

LANE ENDS / MERGE LEFT

GUN IT!

lordsutch

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 09, 2015, 06:47:33 PM
There isn't a law that prohibits you from changing lanes when there's skip lines that permit passing.

I'm referring more to the people (often, but not always, truckers) who often take the law into their own hands and ride the center line to try to stop people from continuing in the lane-to-merge.

Sykotyk

This only works if EVERYONE abides by it. It takes just a few 'jumpers' to try and sneak by the guy they should be merging behind, and suddenly we have people stopping as there's no more room to merge before hitting barrels. This is going to be especially troubling for trucks and buses, as there's more space beside them for vehicles to merge either in front of or behind of them.

US71

Quote from: lordsutch on March 09, 2015, 10:09:10 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 09, 2015, 06:47:33 PM

I'm referring more to the people (often, but not always, truckers) who often take the law into their own hands and ride the center line to try to stop people from continuing in the lane-to-merge.

I was stuck behind a truck on I-40 near Forrest City one time. He waited until the last second to merge, figuring his size would let him force his way through. Didn't work. I was just far enough back to squeeze between two other cars (they had no intention of letting the truck in). I ducked out at the next exit and went through town. Once I got bak on 40, I never saw the truck, making me wonder how far back he was stuck in traffic.

M86

Quote from: bjrush on March 09, 2015, 03:21:33 PM

I've known about the Zip Merge since seeing the MnDOT YouTube and stuff on their website.  It's common sense!

Can AHTD try the new thing of providing highway lighting on urban Interstates?

mrsman

Quote from: M86 on March 13, 2015, 01:15:36 AM
Quote from: bjrush on March 09, 2015, 03:21:33 PM

I've known about the Zip Merge since seeing the MnDOT YouTube and stuff on their website.  It's common sense!

Can AHTD try the new thing of providing highway lighting on urban Interstates?

The alternate merge is a great way of dealing with a heavy 2 to 1 lane narrowing. The hard part is getting all the drivers to abide by it.

codyg1985

I have noticed that PennDOT has been trying the zipper merge too. Maybe a broader campaign should be launched to educate drivers on the benefits of zipper merging?
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

1995hoo

Quote from: codyg1985 on March 25, 2015, 09:27:10 AM
I have noticed that PennDOT has been trying the zipper merge too. Maybe a broader campaign should be launched to educate drivers on the benefits of zipper merging?

The people who most need to hear that information will be the ones who never hear it or ignore it or the like.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.