News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Stop signs with traffic signals

Started by roadman65, November 10, 2011, 07:36:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

I was noticing that in New Jersey in the shore area where some of the traffic signals there only are fully operational from Memorial Day to Labor Day due to fact that during the rest of the year there is not that much traffic to even warrant a signal at all.  From Labor Day to Memorial Day, when there is no beach season, the signals are set to flash mode in many beachfront areas.

Yet, when they are flashing yellow/red a "STOP" sign is erected on the red flashing street.  The same in Kissimmee, FL where Osceola Parkway intersects the FL 417 ramps when the County of Osceola decided that there was not enough traffic to warrant its continued operation it is now a flasher.  Yellow on the Parkway and red on the ramps from 417 with a "STOP" sign erected on the latter as well.

I heard that a signal alone cannot be a sole traffic control device from FDOT, and I am assuming that New Jersey has the same ruling.  To me it is redundant and being that it is technically a working signal, it really does not need one.  Anyone here to confirm this reasoning and is it by state or FHWA?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Brandon

Must be by state.  When signals are turned to flashing red/yellow in Michigan for the overnight hours, there are no signs, just the lights.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Zmapper

The way roadman65 is what I think is standard practice in many European countries.

Alps

A signal alone what? Does that rule out blinker intersections? Please clarify that statement. Given the number of blinker intersections in NJ I'm gonna cut you off - not to mention the number of flashing intersections overnight and weekends with no problems. Up here we only deploy stop signs when signals are out completely.

1995hoo

I can think of a few small towns in Southside Virginia that have (or at least used to have and may still have) stop signs topped with flashing red lights at what would be the main intersection in town. The corner of US-1 and VA-40 in McKenney comes readily to mind as one I used to encounter frequently. But in those situations I think the light was intended simply to call attention to the stop sign at a place where there wasn't enough traffic to justify a full light.  
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

74/171FAN

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 11, 2011, 07:50:09 AM
I can think of a few small towns in Southside Virginia that have (or at least used to have and may still have) stop signs topped with flashing red lights at what would be the main intersection in town. The corner of US-1 and VA-40 in McKenney comes readily to mind as one I used to encounter frequently. But in those situations I think the light was intended simply to call attention to the stop sign at a place where there wasn't enough traffic to justify a full light. 
To me there's a difference between just having flashing red and flashing yellow lights(not a full operational signal) that were put up originally with stop signs(to direct attention to it) and having stop signs when a traffic light switched to flash mode for part of the year or due to low traffic.  I feel that using stop signs in the latter situation would not be very cost-effective especially in the seasonal aspect due to putting up new stop signs and taking them down every year. 
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

1995hoo

Quote from: 74/171FAN on November 11, 2011, 07:58:12 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on November 11, 2011, 07:50:09 AM
To me there's a difference between just having flashing red and flashing yellow lights(not a full operational signal) that were put up originally with stop signs(to direct attention to it) and having stop signs when a traffic light switched to flash mode for part of the year or due to low traffic.  I feel that using stop signs in the latter situation would not be very cost-effective especially in the seasonal aspect due to putting up new stop signs and taking them down every year. 

Yeah, I think that's fair. A flashing red light is supposed to be the functional equivalent to a stop sign, so it seems unnecessary to me to put out an extra stop sign. I do understand using temporary stop signs in situations where the traffic lights are malfunctioning in some way. Here in Virginia we have the "dark traffic light equals four-way stop" law, but many, perhaps most, drivers think it doesn't apply to them.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

roadman65

Quote from: Steve on November 10, 2011, 10:56:12 PM
A signal alone what? Does that rule out blinker intersections? Please clarify that statement. Given the number of blinker intersections in NJ I'm gonna cut you off - not to mention the number of flashing intersections overnight and weekends with no problems. Up here we only deploy stop signs when signals are out completely.

I have seen flashers in Cranford having both stop signs and red blinkers at over head flashing intersections.
In Seaside Heights when the signals along Central Avenue used to flash back in the days before Ocean County boomed, STOP signs were erected along Sumner Avenue and the other street (I am not sure the name as Old NJ 37 was operational year round and total of 3 signals in that borough along there).

I have seen one at the flashing intersection in Belvidere, NJ on US 46 (unless its been fully signalized since I have been there last) have a stop sign erected on the side road. 

The night time flashers like in Princeton where NJ 27 and US 206 junction, do not have stop signs at all.  It seems the ones that indefinetely flash for long periods have them or permanent ones.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.