News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Gas prices climb quickly, haven't peaked yet

Started by cpzilliacus, February 19, 2013, 10:04:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

HometownAnnapolis.com: Gas prices climb quickly, haven't peaked yet

QuoteGas prices have skyrocketed to record highs for the month of February, weeks earlier than the usual spring bump. And prices will continue to rise in coming weeks, market analysts believe.
QuoteOver the weekend, regular gas prices recorded in the area by the website Marylandgasprices.com ranged from a low of $3.52 at Sam's Club in Annapolis to a high of $3.93 at the Shell station at Riva Road and Harry S Truman Parkway, where premium gas topped out at $4.47.
Quote"I usually buy premium gas, but at these prices I am just getting medium grade,"  said Nicole Dudley as she pumped a few gallons at $4.27 into her car at that Shell station.

QuoteThe spring price rise doesn't usually hit until March or early April.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

The High Plains Traveler

I think I filled up with the country's last available under $3.00 gas on the evening of February 13 in Cheyenne WY. It was $2.999, and next morning it was $3.059.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

djsinco

I paid $2.57 in the North Denver Metro area on 1/6/13. Today, the same station is $3.51.

As I just checked GasBuddy, even more amazing is the fact that the lowest gas price in Colorado this morning is in Leadville, of all places. It is "only" $3.29 there!
3 million miles and counting

djsinco

Quote from: The High Plains Traveler on February 23, 2013, 12:21:57 PM
I think I filled up with the country's last available under $3.00 gas on the evening of February 13 in Cheyenne WY. It was $2.999, and next morning it was $3.059.

GasBuddy showing 2 stations in NM today that are <$3

vdeane

There's still gas under $3?  In NY we haven't seen that since Katrina!
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Duke87

I filled up at $2.99 in Orangeburg, SC last summer, and I recall seeing a few stations down south at $2.89 at points when I was not looking for gas.

As for sub $3 a gallon in the northeast, it also existed for a couple years after the crash in '08. I remember seeing it go down to barely above $2 in the winter of '09. Nonetheless, the last time I filled up in this part of the country for under $3 was November of 2010.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

corco

I remember filling up for $1.29 in Wyoming when gas prices absolutely crashed in early 09.

Gas is $3.13 in Montana right now, which isn't so bad. It was $1.29/liter in British Columbia last week, but clear down at $1.09/liter in Alberta.

djsinco

Colorado (Denver Metro) went from $4.20 a gallon at the 2008 peak to $1.30 in early 2009. Of course, that did not last long at all!

Desert Man

Gas prices remain at $4 a gallon here in Southern California, I seen some stations saling it at $4.09, 19, 29 and 39. The obvious ridiculousness of the fluctation of gas prices has to do with "supply and demand", but look closely and you realize the speculative nature of gas pricing by petroleum companies in a belief their product is strained and highly demanded. The prices of gas might not peaked yet, hold your breaths...watch it slowly tinker upward to maybe $5 a gallon in some portions of the country by the beginning of summer.
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

djsinco

What is unnerving about gas prices the last 2 years is the disconnect between crude prices and pump prices. The trend has been that the fluctuations do not coincide, and, as a rule, the prices stay high even when the crude oil prices drop. There is always some BS excuse...

kphoger

I don't often chime in on gas price threads, but I was surprised at the jump between last week's fill-up and this week's fill-up.  I remember grabbing $40 yesterday and telling my wife, oh, it won't cost more than forty to fill it up (it wasn't empty yet).  Nope, it took the full forty.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

agentsteel53

I got gas for 3.89 to 4.26 on my weekend trip.  saw as high as 4.87 in Cambria (always high), and an outlier of 5.18.  that one was at the Shell and the Chevron at I-5 and Stockdale Highway near Bakersfield.  how do they stay in business, when at the next exit, gas was 4.06?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Road Hog

I remember filling up for $1.72 on March 17, 2005. By the end of the month gas had gone over $2 for the first time. Of course, it really spiked after Katrina.

roadman65

https://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/52180344241/in/dateposted-public/
Before Christmas time gas in Savannah, GA was only beginning to climb.

I am sure it's now one dollar more at this location.

Yet in 1997 the prices were around 80 cents a gallon in GA.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

webny99

Well, I guess you can add this one to the ledger of truly mind-boggling thread bumps. Given the title, I actually thought it might be a new thread at first.

But 2013? What on earth!?  :-D

Scott5114

Plenty of other threads discussing gas prices right now; we don't need to revive one from two Presidential administrations ago. General gas prices thread: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=62.0

Pro tip: if agentsteel53 is one of the most recent posters in a thread, it's too old to bump.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.