News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Atlanta

Started by Chris, January 28, 2009, 10:42:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

adventurernumber1

Yes!!! I got it to work, by using the Tapatalk app for the first time.  :thumbsup:  :awesomeface:

These are the aforementioned pictures that I was talking about in my post in this thread right before this one:

iPhone
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

Tomahawkin

Thanks for the pics. I avoid that stretch of 285 like the plague. I'm curious to see how much it could cost from the cobb cloverleaf to sixes road on 575 during peak hours. I would not be surprised if it exceeds 15+ dollars, especially during inclement weather

Finrod

Does anyone know when the stoplight that was erected at Paper Mill Road and Woodlawn Drive in East Cobb County will actually be activated as a stoplight, instead of just blinking red like it has been for over a month now?  It's great that they made it into a stoplight because the backups during rush hour coming into that intersection on Paper Mill are horrible, but when are they actually going to turn the silly thing on?
Internet member since 1987.

Hate speech is a nonsense concept; the truth is hate speech to those that hate the truth.

People who use their free speech to try to silence others' free speech are dangerous fools.

Tom958

The third time's the charm, except when GDOT is involved: Remember this? I didn't get a photo, but now they've greened out the curved part of the right split arrow and left the straight part exposed. Wow.

This is the original version, with the split arrow over the wrong lane. I feel some ownership of this situation because I emailed GDOT about the original problem and they emailed me back saying they'd direct their contractor to fix it. We see how that went-- they made it worse.

So, is the third iteration even worse than the second? I dunno, but at least the second had comedy value. The third is just pathetic.

Tom958

Quote from: afguy on February 04, 2018, 08:27:23 AM...remove excess signs..

Hopefully that includes this. I dunno--maybe the one in the gore got hit so often, they decided to install a backup.  :clap:

On an unrelated topic:

adventurernumber1

Quote from: Tom958 on February 04, 2018, 08:02:45 PM
On an unrelated topic:

Wow, that does look pretty bad.  :crazy:

Especially in this blurry picture taken at night, it looks like they lit a match and burned just a little bit of the sign right there.  :-D  :no:  :pan:
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

Tom958

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on February 05, 2018, 10:16:38 AMEspecially in this blurry picture taken at night, it looks like they lit a match and burned just a little bit of the sign right there.  :-D  :no:  :pan:

Maybe they tried to kill it with fire and the flamethrower his the wrong spot, then broke,

CanesFan27

Back in the early 2000's, Atlanta's Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport went through a major runway expansion.  Like any other airport expansion, it had a significant impact to the roads and highways that surround it.  In this case, Georgia Highways 139 and 319 saw a significant reroute (their second since the 1970s). Our own John Krakoff, who was living in Atlanta at the time, documented some of the interesting leftovers from the old routes.

http://surewhynotnow.blogspot.com/2018/02/former-alignments-of-ga-139-and-314.html

Tomahawkin

Looks like the last hurdle on the 75 toll lane project is completing the toll transition ramp at the Cobb cloverleaf? That is going to be a cluster #### because of the left handed merge a 1/2 mile before the 2+ HOV  Lanes! Whoever thought of that is a genius! (Sarcasm)! What p***es me off is whoever came up with that merge idea, probably got a bonus! GA DOT is Garbage!

Tom958

Changing message LED signs, 285 westbound at Cobb Parkway.

Tom958

Well, a little over a week ago, on their third attempt, GDOT's troops finally fixed that APL on northbound 285 approaching Chamblee-Tucker Road and I-85. It didn't take quite two years.

So, of course, they made the same mistake again on the other side of town. This isn't my side of Atlanta so I don't know when it happened, but I don't think it's been this way for long. Ironically, the next sign, at the 285-75 split, was also an incorrect APL which they corrected while adding a VMS for the Northwest Corridor reversible express roadway that'll be opening this summer. Here, they arguably made it worse, though it'd be easy to fix.

In fact, a while back they actually did make this same mistake on the northern approach to this very 285-75 interchange, and it was corrected promptly. Hopefully that'll be the case here.

afguy

Tom958

Per GDOT's Facebook page on June 5, there's been a huge change in the layout of the 285-400 interchange. The previous versions I've seen had the 400 mainline passing over 285 and the eastbound 285 to northbound 400 ramp passing under the existing bridge, but this version has the 400 mainline going under 285, which will require replacement of the existing bridge. 😲 I'm wondering whether the other legacy 285 bridges over Glenridge and Peachtree Dunwoody will be replaced as well. I've previously expressed amazement that the design of this project retained so many of the existing bridges. However, the design was done before 2015's funding increase. Perhaps there's been a rethink

Previous version:

Tomahawkin

I wonder where would the 400 toll lanes tie into the design of the interchange? Also I wonder if the 400 toll lanes are going to be elevated or made as a BS Patchwork project like the ones on IH 85?

Tom958

Quote from: Tomahawkin on June 09, 2018, 12:15:10 PM
Also I wonder if the 400 toll lanes are going to be elevated or made as a BS Patchwork project like the ones on IH 85?

Judging from the estimated cost, probably neither. The $1.8 billion I remember for 400 is much more than the 85 project is costing but much less than the $6 billion estimated for the elevated top end 285 lanes, especially on a per-mile basis. And, per GDOT:

- Two elevated, barrier-separated express lanes in
each direction between I-285 and Spalding Drive
- Two buffer-separated express lanes in each
direction between Spalding Drive and McGinnis Ferry
Road
- One buffer-separated express lane in each
direction from McGinnis Ferry Road to McFarland
Parkway

ATLRedSoxFan

Did GDOT ever get around to moving US19 through Atlanta?

Tomahawkin

@Tom958 thanks for the 411. Also I just saw that they are going to widen or replace 11 existing bridges along that route. I know at least 5 interchanges along that route that have needed a makeover for years!

afguy

BRT is coming to GA 400 via the new express lanes...
QuoteThe state will issue $100 million in bonds to build a 16-mile bus rapid transit line on Georgia 400 north of Interstate 285, Gov. Nathan Deal announced Tuesday.

The BRT line, which will stretch from I-285 to McFarland Parkway, will include four yet-to-be-announced, bus-only interchanges. State transportation officials are in the process of selecting locations for these interchanges and will begin purchasing the land necessary in fiscal year 2019 or 2020, according to a press release from Deal's office. The process of selecting a contractor to build the lanes will begin mid-2020.

The bus lanes are part of an already-announced $1.8 billion project to add express toll lanes to 400 and widen the highway.
http://www.mdjonline.com/news/deal-bus-rapid-transit-coming-to-georgia/article_64a98648-740b-11e8-93c1-3702a1e0d8bb.html

Georgia

good, that is the only chance BRT has at being even decently used.
BRT on existing, non-dedicated lanes on 400? yeaaaaaa, forget that

mhking

Quote from: ATLRedSoxFan on June 09, 2018, 07:11:49 PM

Nope. Not yet, at least (If they're even still thinking about doing it)...

emory

Quote from: ATLRedSoxFan on June 09, 2018, 07:11:49 PM

I hadn't heard of this. Where were they planning to move it?

Tom958

GDOT: Wall collapse shouldn't impact toll lanes project in Cobb
https://www.ajc.com/news/traffic/gdot-wall-collapse-shouldn-impact-toll-lanes-project-cobb/TA43Hm0kwREAzKTdggis5L/

The collapse of a wall on a stretch of I-75 in Cobb County should not affect the opening of new toll lanes later this summer, the Georgia Department of Transportation said.

Those comments from GDOT spokeswoman Natalie Dale came hours after officials learned a retaining wall collapsed onto an unfinished portion of the Northwest Corridor Express Lanes along I-75 and Windy Hill Road in Cobb.

"We don't expect this to have any bearing on when the lanes open in the next two months,"  GDOT spokeswoman Natalie Dale said in a video posted on the agency's official Twitter account. "But of course, we will not open these lanes if we're not 100 percent confident that they're safe for travel."

Gee, I dunno. The several-foot-wide void between nonstructural panels (or so says the GDOT spokesperson in their video) and a tieback wall is filled with,what, twenty feet of crushed stone? I don't see how it ever stood up in the first place. Obviously there's something I'm missing.  :hmmm:

Tomahawkin

That below grade segment will be a flooding spot 5 years upon 5 years of use. This project was a rushed project and won't do much to aid the congestion along that route, IMO

Georgia

I dont know, the lanes might get more local use than normal just because there do seem to be more exits than the lanes on the southside.  Once you are in the lanes on the southside, you are stuck except for Jonesboro Road.  On the North lanes, I count 3 exits I think.

I just wish it was an extra lane or 2 in each segment, instead of being 2 after the 75/575 merge it should be 3 or 4, and the 1 lane each on 75 and 575 should be at least 2, if not at least 3 on the 75 segment.. 

Tomahawkin

I agree, and any given rush hour, there can be an accident that shuts down both lanes...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.