News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Roadgeeks and Weatherfans

Started by Alex, January 18, 2009, 09:16:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian

Alright, I'm back in school. It's time for this heat to go away. I can't wait until it gets cold and starts snowing. Already have a winter job in mind, shoveling driveways with our family's ATV's that have plows!
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

jgb191

Nearing the official end of summer, this is what we're looking at.  Only about 3-5 degrees above normal for us, however the Heat Index on Monday could up as high as 116 degrees.  It's probably going to stay like this much of this month.

We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

agentsteel53

here in sunny San Diego, it is 62 and overcast.  I am loving this!  :sombrero:
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

mightyace

It's 78 and overcast in the "Athens of the South" Don't miss the 90 degree temps at all.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

nyratk1

It's going to be in the low to mid 70s with night time lows in the mid to upper 50s here on LI the next week. Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice.  :cool:

jgb191

Autumn has announced its arrival here in South Texas.  That cold front is making us pull out our coats....it's going to drop down to 61 degrees overnight tonight and only 86 for a high tomorrow.  Then returning back to the mid 90s this weekend.

Scott5114

Meanwhile, Oklahoma is doing that schizophrenic thing that passes for autumn or spring here. A week or so of highs in the 80s and lows in the 60s, then a few days of highs in the 60s and lows in the 40s, then back to 80s. Wheeeee.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

algorerhythms

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 15, 2010, 10:14:33 PM
Meanwhile, Oklahoma is doing that schizophrenic thing that passes for autumn or spring here. A week or so of highs in the 80s and lows in the 60s, then a few days of highs in the 60s and lows in the 40s, then back to 80s. Wheeeee.
During this time of year, I get tired of checking the weather every day, and just split the difference by wearing a coat and shorts.

bugo

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 15, 2010, 10:14:33 PM

One thing that has been pretty steady in the last few weeks is the lack of rain.  It's supposed to rain Monday, however.

Scott5114

Maybe in Tulsa, but we got a pretty big thunderstorm a week or so ago. It knocked one of our Bally servers offline so we were doing handpays all night.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

jgb191

We're just a week away from the month of November and we still haven't escaped the heat yet.  Looking at about 100 degrees on the 25th and 26th of October 2010, which puts us a good eleven degrees above normal for this time of the year.  And still well in the triple-digits (100s) in the Falcon Lake area.  With the humidity, our heat index will probably be approaching 110 degrees.

A cold front later this week may cool us back down to the low 90s on Thursday the 28th.

jgb191

Our strongest cold front so far this season is expected to blast us hard, and will give us our first taste of Winter this weekend. 

After enjoying 90 degrees today, it's going to plunge way down to 72 degrees on Saturday and then 68 on Sunday with on and off rain.

mightyace

^^^

As I've said before, you have a funny definition of winter.  Our highs have been in the low 70s and are lows are in the low 40s with occasional frost in outlying areas.

agentsteel53

Quote from: mightyace on November 12, 2010, 12:57:58 PM
^^^

As I've said before, you have a funny definition of winter.  Our highs have been in the low 70s and are lows are in the low 40s with occasional frost in outlying areas.

that's not that much colder than here in San Diego.  Up in the Sierras it's snowing ... now that's winter!  :sombrero:
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

mightyace

^^^

Yes, the Sierras are one of the few locations in the world where snow is measured in feet not inches!  (IIRC Norden and Truckee, CA see approximately 400 inches of snow per year!)

In the most recent issue of Trains magazine, they talk about the rotary snowplows (like a giant snow blower) and Jordan spreaders (basically heavy-duty plows on rails) that the Union Pacific uses to keep Donner Pass open in the winter.

If I'm not mistaken, Donner Pass is the requires the most effort to keep snow from closing it of any railroad pass in the western hemisphere.

jgb191

Quote from: mightyace on November 12, 2010, 12:57:58 PMAs I've said before, you have a funny definition of winter.

What is the proper definition of winter then?  Is there even a proper definition being that the climate is not uniform all around the planet Earth.

And as I've said before:  Our normal weather pattern is different from everyone else's normal....it all depends on location.

mightyace

^^^

I'd consider your climate sub-tropical.

I look more at temperature than the calendar.  Places like Antarctica have winter 365 days a year and some like Cairo don't have a winter and places like you are don't have much of one at all.

So, I guess it also depends on what your definition of winter.

Fine, call it whatever you want, but please don't complain about the "cold" when it isn't getting below 60 degrees where you are.

jgb191

Alright, but only as long as no one complains about the "heat" when it gets to 90 degrees.  Deal? ;)

english si

It's hot when it gets to 75. 90 is entering boiling! ;)

It's worth noting that Antarctica has 2 seasons - a warmer one and a colder one. Both are freezing cold, but the warmer one is 'summer'.

Likewise Britain has 4 distinct seasons (and the joke is that you might get all in one day) - Spring and Autumn aren't massively different weather-wise though. Yet Britain isn't that variable temperature wise.

jgb191

Quote from: english si on November 14, 2010, 11:12:29 AM
It's hot when it gets to 75. 90 is entering boiling!

Oh you would love our winters then:  Average highs ranging from 70 to 84 degrees in South Texas. lol  Even better for us: this winter season is expected to be well above average!  Probably will make a number of rounds to the beach and golf course during that time.

In the South Beach area, their winters sees average highs in the 75-80 range in Miami.  The Valley of the Sun area range 65-80 on average in Phoenix.

mightyace

Quote from: jgb191 on November 14, 2010, 10:31:38 AM
Alright, but only as long as no one complains about the "heat" when it gets to 90 degrees.  Deal? ;)

Deal.  :sombrero:

jgb191

Returning to normal, looking at mid 80s this week and lows in the upper 50s.  And foggy conditions are going to disrupt travel across South Texas tonight and tomorrow night.

jgb191

More of the same weather heading into Thanksgiving.  Just can't ask for better weather than this (except just a little warmer).

jgb191

We're looking at 92 degrees on Thanksgiving Day, which is seven degrees short of a record which stands at 99 degrees set in 2005.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.