News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-5 to get auxiliary lanes between OR 217 and I-205; other projects

Started by Bickendan, August 10, 2016, 11:40:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bickendan

When I first read the article, I thought I saw something about I-205 between Wanker's Corner (Stafford) and Oregon City, but I'm only seeing aux. lanes for the Abernathy Bridge instead.
http://www.pamplinmedia.com/lor/48-news/314911-191145-auxiliary-lane-on-i-5-planned-to-relieve-congestion

sparker

I'm getting this impression from reading the article a couple of times:  funding has been approved for an additional general-purpose traffic lane on I-205 between Stafford and the interchange at the west end of the Abernathy Bridge (IIRC, that's OR 43).  In addition, an "auxiliary" (sometimes referred to as a "slip" lane) lane over the Abernathy Bridge itself is in the works, but has yet to receive funding; this is likely to be limited to the bridge and approaches between the OR 43 and OR 99E interchanges on either side of the bridge. 

Sub-Urbanite

Funding has been approved for the study of adding lanes on 205 from Stafford to the Abernethy. No money for construction, which could be pricey depending on whether ODOT feels like cramming 3 lanes onto the Tualatin River bridges or decides they need to be replaced.

As for the Abernethy Bridge itself, I'm dubious that you could fit an extra lane on there — and it already has a slip lane between the 43 and 99E interchanges. I mean, maybe? But if you look on Streetview, it looks tight. If you drive it, it feels tighter.

nexus73

Nice to see ODOT trying to do something but take note of the loss of a SR 217 project.  One poster on this article said:

Who makes these decisions?

"To make that happen, the commission shifted $2 million from plans to build a southbound, 3.5-mile auxiliary lane on Highway 217 between Beaverton-Hillsdale Highway in Beaverton and Highway 99W in Tigard."

217 Needs Help!!!!!!!! How about asking the public rather than some idiot bureaucrat.

<end of cut and paste>

In the final analysis, these projects are a bandaid on what is a massive traffic cancer problem with traffic flow in the Rose City.  Color me very sad that we don't have the wherewithal to do what it would take for current and future conditions.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Sub-Urbanite

Quote from: nexus73 on August 11, 2016, 07:50:25 PM

In the final analysis, these projects are a bandaid on what is a massive traffic cancer problem with traffic flow in the Rose City.  Color me very sad that we don't have the wherewithal to do what it would take for current and future conditions.

Where's the money? That's the bottom line, right? We all know how expensive all of these projects are — the 217, the Rose Quarter, widening the 205 (if indeed the Abernethy and Tualatin bridges need to be replaced)... where's the plan from the Legislature that A) Raises a couple billion to actually pay for all that, and B) Has enough in it for rural Oregon that you get the rural legislators to go along with it? And even if someone proposed that plan, would Salem have enough stones to ignore the gas & truck lobbies and raise the gas tax enough to pay for all of it?

nexus73

Quote from: Sub-Urbanite on August 12, 2016, 12:06:38 AM

Where's the money? That's the bottom line, right? We all know how expensive all of these projects are – the 217, the Rose Quarter, widening the 205 (if indeed the Abernethy and Tualatin bridges need to be replaced)… where's the plan from the Legislature that A) Raises a couple billion to actually pay for all that, and B) Has enough in it for rural Oregon that you get the rural legislators to go along with it? And even if someone proposed that plan, would Salem have enough stones to ignore the gas & truck lobbies and raise the gas tax enough to pay for all of it?

There's money, plenty of money.  What is missing is a desire to spend it on massive infrastructure improvements instead of bandaids and bureaucratic overhead.  If there is not enough from fuel taxes and vehicle fees, then we need to dig deep into the general fund. 

The alternative is to fall further behind the curve.  That's a very expensive way to do things!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Sub-Urbanite

Quote from: nexus73 on August 12, 2016, 10:37:21 AM

There's money, plenty of money.  What is missing is a desire to spend it on massive infrastructure improvements instead of bandaids and bureaucratic overhead.  If there is not enough from fuel taxes and vehicle fees, then we need to dig deep into the general fund. 

I respectfully disagree — road users should pay for road infrastructure. And, in the current climate, no way you're getting the Portland D's to take money from schools or social services to build freeways. They just won't bite.

Fact is, the federal gas tax goes down every year because it's not tied to inflation. At a minimum, we should make up for that loss.

sp_redelectric

Nice to see ODOT trying to do something but take note of the loss of a SR 217 project.  One poster on this article said:

Metro.

Metro is giving back to Clackamas County after having two light rail lines built to Clackamas and Milwaukie.

Metro is taking away from Tigard, which has a ballot measure on the November ballot to determine city support for light rail.

Metro didn't want the election in the first place but was forced to by a city election a few years ago, and Metro is paying (well, its Board and employees are) to make sure this election turns out in their favor (for light rail).  So in the meantime, they are taking away a badly needed highway project (the light rail line would have no positive impact on 217 anyways) and giving it to Clackamas County as a "thank you".

jakeroot

Bickendan

Sub-Urbanite

Quote from: sp_redelectric on October 09, 2016, 01:08:39 AM

Metro.

Metro is giving back to Clackamas County after having two light rail lines built to Clackamas and Milwaukie.

Metro is taking away from Tigard, which has a ballot measure on the November ballot to determine city support for light rail.

Metro didn't want the election in the first place but was forced to by a city election a few years ago, and Metro is paying (well, its Board and employees are) to make sure this election turns out in their favor (for light rail).  So in the meantime, they are taking away a badly needed highway project (the light rail line would have no positive impact on 217 anyways) and giving it to Clackamas County as a "thank you".

Isn't it the Region 1 ACT that makes these decisions? Metro only has 1 vote on that.

sp_redelectric

Quote from: Sub-Urbanite on October 10, 2016, 02:34:27 PMIsn't it the Region 1 ACT that makes these decisions? Metro only has 1 vote on that.

If federal funds are involved, it's JPACT which is controlled by Metro.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.