News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

City besides New York, that has most discontinuous streets

Started by roadman65, January 18, 2022, 12:10:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flint1979

Quote from: wanderer2575 on January 18, 2022, 09:50:46 PM
Many side streets that cross the border between the cities of Southfield and Lathrup Village, Michigan do not go through... just because.

For example:  https://goo.gl/maps/767vTEtjpzfPoZru7
I'm not sure why there. Lathrup Village is really no different than Southfield regarding demographics.

23skidoo

Quote from: Flint1979 on January 20, 2022, 06:03:47 AM
Quote from: wanderer2575 on January 18, 2022, 09:50:46 PM
Many side streets that cross the border between the cities of Southfield and Lathrup Village, Michigan do not go through... just because.

For example:  https://goo.gl/maps/767vTEtjpzfPoZru7
I'm not sure why there. Lathrup Village is really no different than Southfield regarding demographics.

I've noticed that too. Aerial photos on the Oakland County website (very cool if you haven't checked it out) suggest that the roadblocks existed as early as 1963, so they are not new. It might have something to do with the fact that Lathrup Village was platted out about three decades before adjacent parts of Southfield were. If you look around that area, you'll see houses dating back to the 1920s on the Lathrup Village side, while the houses on the Southfield side are no older than the 1950s. The Great Depression and WWII stopped construction for a very long time. My guess is that there was some sort of dispute between the developers who built the subdivisions on the Southfield side and the town fathers of Lathrup Village back in the 50s/60s.

GaryV

It could have been because of the restrictive covenants in Lathrup Village. Now it is a multi-racial city, as is Southfield. That wasn't the case historically.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.