New Layout on Google Street View

Started by roadman65, February 19, 2014, 07:12:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

I just logged on to GSV and found everything has been completely revamped!  The yellow icon that takes you to street view is now moved to the bottom right corner and the panning arrows are in twos instead of the four for which direction you want the caption to be.

It is strange, but startled me at first as it was done sometime today.  So I warn you that you will be surprised the next time you look at google maps.  I will let you know if its better after getting used to, but for now, I guess go with the flow.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

NE2

Eh? It's still normal here. Maybe because I don't usually log in to my Goog account?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

hotdogPi

Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

usends

For me, Street View changed about a month ago, probably at the same time Google Maps itself changed.
usends.com - US highway endpoints, photos, maps, and history

myosh_tino

I got to experience the new and "improved" Google Maps this morning and I didn't like what I see.  The new user interface is totally non-intuitive.  To get different views like displaying traffic or dropping into Terrain view, you now have to hover over the search bar in the upper left corner of the window or click on the little "gear" icon in the lower right corner.

I've also found a couple of annoyances with StreetView.  You can't leave StreetView by using the mouse's scroll wheel (something you could do previously) and once you've entered StreetView by clicking on the little man icon, which highlights all available streets blue, to make the highlighting disappear you have to click the little X in the upper left corner.

The new Google Maps also seems to load a lot slower than before.  I'm on a computer connected to 1.5 Mbps DSL right now but I also noticed the lag in loading maps from a fairly speedy 16 Mbps connection.

At any rate, thank goodness Google gives the user the option to return to "Classic" view.  When one does return to Classic Google Maps, it will ask if you would like to provide feedback on why (something I did do).
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

roadman65

To me on my Accer the old imagery showed up. It is only on my Gateway the new version shows up.  Like NE 2 said his shows up as the old view for him, so maybe it is with certain browsers or programs.
https://www.google.com/maps/@34.057714,-117.545503,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1svahAlAaXlNNfY_K6DWeyRw!2e0 Anyway try this link and see if it does not bring it up.

Sheryl Crowe

Zeffy

Quote from: roadman65 on February 20, 2014, 07:33:52 PM
To me on my Accer the old imagery showed up. It is only on my Gateway the new version shows up.  Like NE 2 said his is the old, so maybe it is with certain browsers or programs.
https://www.google.com/maps/@34.057714,-117.545503,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1svahAlAaXlNNfY_K6DWeyRw!2e0 Anyway try this link and see if it does not bring it up.

What should I be seeing? It looks like the (shitty) new Google Maps interface that is so clunky and slow. And by new, I mean when they first rolled out the 'new' Google Maps, not what you're talking about in the OP.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

roadman65

I do not know about that.  Maybe its just my computer, but dragging the arrows on the pavement is easier and it slides much better.  I think the existing one is slower at grabbing and dragging then this.  This is what I have experienced so far. 

Edit: I just logged on my Dad's old computer and it linked me to it, but on the old format.  Now, I know its got to be whatever computer program you are using as only my Gateway has the new imaging. You are getting what I got on both my Accer and my dad's computer which is, like you said, the existing and the one that has been with us for ages.  I cannot see what else it is.

Sheryl Crowe

agentsteel53

like Flickr, Google has decided to go whole memory hog. 

yep, browser crashing; that's a really needed feature I'd been missing.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

formulanone

Quote from: agentsteel53 on February 20, 2014, 07:48:10 PM
like Flickr (and everything else) Google has decided to go whole memory hog. 

Fixed that for you.

What the hell happened to browser caching? It seems to not exist except to save cookies. Did it suddenly become uncool in 2010 or so? A page I visited two minutes ago shouldn't have to reload every time...

jeffandnicole

My home computer sends me to the new and unimproved version. My work computer sends me to the older version.

agentsteel53

Quote from: formulanone on February 21, 2014, 08:20:30 AMA page I visited two minutes ago shouldn't have to reload every time...

it's even worse on mobile phones.  a page I have open should not have to reload every time I switch back to the app.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

formulanone

Quote from: agentsteel53 on February 21, 2014, 10:06:18 AM
Quote from: formulanone on February 21, 2014, 08:20:30 AMA page I visited two minutes ago shouldn't have to reload every time...

it's even worse on mobile phones.  a page I have open should not have to reload every time I switch back to the app.

These things were supposed to be optimized for quick use, but somehow the concept of "always-up-to-the-bleeding-second" became paramount, rather than assisting in low-bandwidth situations. Mozilla or Chrome, once lightweight and superlative challengers to IE, which became the memory vacuums they are now, although "security" and other features have weighed them down as well.

Sometimes, you can mulitask if you press-and-hold the Home (Android) / Menu (Apple) button, and thus sometimes you don't lose your place on a browser. But not always...

(sorry for the off-topic, we likely know all this already)

jakeroot

Quote from: agentsteel53 on February 21, 2014, 10:06:18 AM

You use an iPhone, don't you?

1995hoo

I was attempting to use Google Maps on my PC via Firefox this morning. I gave up. It slowed everything to an absolute crawl to the point where I killed the tab because I couldn't even type in MS Word while waiting for the map to load. Firefox's latest versions (I have not yet downloaded version 27) seem to be increasingly slower and prone to random instances where it says "Not Responding" and you just have to wait, but Google Maps' responsiveness was far worse than that kind of issue.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jakeroot

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 21, 2014, 04:42:55 PM
I was attempting to use Google Maps on my PC via Firefox this morning. I gave up. It slowed everything to an absolute crawl to the point where I killed the tab because I couldn't even type in MS Word while waiting for the map to load. Firefox's latest versions (I have not yet downloaded version 27) seem to be increasingly slower and prone to random instances where it says "Not Responding" and you just have to wait, but Google Maps' responsiveness was far worse than that kind of issue.

I would say "try Chrome!" but I think that you've already been told that. If Google Maps freezes on Google Chrome, something is seriously wrong with the new maps.

yakra

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 21, 2014, 04:42:55 PM
I was attempting to use Google Maps on my PC via Firefox this morning. I gave up. It slowed everything to an absolute crawl to the point where I killed the tab because I couldn't even type in MS Word while waiting for the map to load.
I'll second that, except substitute Gedit for MS Word, as I'm using Ubuntu here. Even doing simple pan/zoom operations will hang up my computer; it becomes unresponsive and will take several seconds to respond to simple keystrokes or an Alt+Tab. Both CPU cores @~50% usage, and >150 MB RAM footprint (nevermind what GMSV will do!) when not even doing anything is just unacceptable.

I miss being able to right-click on a map & get directions.

In Street View:
The old optional large map view one could pan and zoom was very helpful for repositioning Pegman. The new smaller view that one must mouse over, can't be zoomed or panned. Details too small for adequate precision. What was one drag is now several (SLOW) clicks. Some keyboard functionality gone.

Ugh. I had started defaulting to using Bing instead, except in cases where I was looking for Street View, until I found out I could revert to the older version.
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

Duke87

The new version seems neither faster nor slower to me. Although the added flair to the transitions makes entering and exiting Street View seem clunkier since it often doesn't animate smoothly.

I think for the most part it's just different in ways that throw you and seem unintuitive but can be gotten used to (such as not being able to right click on anything, but there are ways to perform all those tasks with left clicks).

What I am irked by is:
1) You can no longer generate links directly to Street View
2) Entering Street View if you have directions mapped out makes you lose the directions.

The other temporarily weird thing is that I have the new maps on my computer at home, but my computer at work still shows the old maps. I'm guessing this is the difference between being logged into a Google account and not being logged into a Google account.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

US 41

I'm not sure if I like the "new" Google Maps. I like the old format a lot better (probably because I was used to it). Now I have to relearn everything.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

hotdogPi

New Google Maps has some secret designations for these roads

Garden State Parkway (444)
Berkshire Connector (reference route 912M)
Taconic State Parkway (reference route 987G)
US/MA 3 inside 128 (shown as both 3 and 3A)
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

yakra

QuoteThe new version seems neither faster nor slower to me.
You don't have an 8-core, 4 gHz CPU with about a gig of L2 cache by any chance, do you?
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

vdeane

I think the deciding factor is how well the system can handle WebGL, which probably also affects who's on the new maps.  My computers are all Linux and can't do WebGL thanks to ATI, and they have yet to do anything to push me over other than a message asking me to switch.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

roadman65

I just found some errors.   I have the State of Florida as my default setting, so when the drop down box in the left corner opens it is where Louisiana is on the map.  Many times when I key in a city name, the proper name appears in the drop.  I go to click on it and whatever is underneath the box is where the map pulls up.

One day I went to Ontario, CA and got some place near New Orleans show up.  I thought the system was retarded or something, and actually still do if it ignored the box and actually allowed my pointer to go completely through it.

So Strike One for the new Google set up!

Sheryl Crowe

yakra

Brandon

Quote from: US 41 on February 23, 2014, 01:01:19 AM
I'm not sure if I like the "new" Google Maps. I like the old format a lot better (probably because I was used to it). Now I have to relearn everything.

I basically said "fuck it" and switched back to the older version of Google Maps.  I couldn't figure out how to link from the new version.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.