News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

US 460 (Petersburg, VA to Suffolk, VA)

Started by 74/171FAN, February 19, 2009, 06:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

74/171FAN

What are your thoughts of the planned new US 460 toll road between I-295 in Petersburg and US 13/58 in Suffolk?  This could also include thoughts on the current US 460.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Alex

Do you have website on this project? This is the first time I've heard of it.

What are some of the details?

FLRoads

From what I have read on the VDOT website, the U.S. 460 corridor project you speak of will not be a toll facility but instead be a free limited-access facility on new alignment south of the current U.S. 460 between Interstate 295 and U.S. 58. The final FEIS (Final Environmental Impact Statement) was signed by the FHWA in June 2008. For more indepth information on this project, please click here.

74/171FAN

http://www.virginiadot.org/projects/new460_main.aspThis is from VDOT'S website.  This has actually been planned for a while but right now there are no funds for this project whatsoever.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

74/171FAN

Quote from: flaroadgeek on February 19, 2009, 10:21:04 PM
From what I have read on the VDOT website, the U.S. 460 corridor project you speak of will not be a toll facility but instead be a free limited-access facility on new alignment south of the current U.S. 460 between Interstate 295 and U.S. 58. The final FEIS (Final Environmental Impact Statement) was signed by the FHWA in June 2008. For more indepth information on this project, please click here.
Here are 3 conceptual proposals from 2006 and all 3 of them involve tolls(including one involving a toll on I-64 west of Williamsburg)http://www.virginiadot.org/projects/new460_ppta_concepts.asp And VDOT is currently requesting detailed proposals by August 14(just click news from the link above and it is the first article)

FLRoads

Quote from: 74/171FAN on February 19, 2009, 10:51:08 PM
Quote from: flaroadgeek on February 19, 2009, 10:21:04 PM
Here are 3 conceptual proposals from 2006 and all 3 of them involve tolls(including one involving a toll on I-64 west of Williamsburg)http://www.virginiadot.org/projects/new460_ppta_concepts.asp And VDOT is currently requesting detailed proposals by August 14(just click news from the link above and it is the first article)

I do stand corrected on the fact that it is not 100% certain that it will be a free limited access highway instead of a tolled one. After reading the FEIS a little bit further I found the following text:

2.6 TOLL FEASIBILITY STUDY
Following issuance of CTB Resolutions, an independent toll feasibility study was conducted to evaluate
issues related to implementing tolls on CBA 1 and a previously considered alternative. Given the current level
of design associated with a Location Study of this type along with outstanding issues associated with a toll
option, it is too early in the project development process to determine if the Preferred Alternative would be
constructed and operated as a toll facility, or to determine a potential toll structure. As a result, those traffic
forecasts and impact analysis discussed in this final EIS that rely on traffic forecasts (e.g. air quality and
noise) do not consider a tolling option.

So, it does look like that it is too early to determine whether or not the proposed route will be built as a toll facility or not.

deathtopumpkins

Meh... I've never driven 460 when going to Richmond, but I've heard it's clogged with truck traffic. Unless that is truly the case, then I don't think VDOT should bother, and just put that money towards I-64, which is a faster route anyway. And I've been hearing about that toll road study for years in local newspapers (back when I used to read them), but nothing ever got done, and I doubt that it ever will.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

74/171FAN

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on February 20, 2009, 08:51:43 PM
Meh... I've never driven 460 when going to Richmond, but I've heard it's clogged with truck traffic. Unless that is truly the case, then I don't think VDOT should bother, and just put that money towards I-64, which is a faster route anyway. And I've been hearing about that toll road study for years in local newspapers (back when I used to read them), but nothing ever got done, and I doubt that it ever will.
I just checked the VDOT  traffic data for US 460 in 2007 and throughout it had 19% trucks. VDOT has them by jurisdiction though so just look for US 460 in Prince George, Sussex, Southampton, and Isle of Wight counties along with the City of Suffolk. http://www.virginiadot.org/info/ct-TrafficCounts-Juris2007.asp#P

74/171FAN

I know that this is slightly OT, but the topic does not say US 460 between Petersburg and Suffolk.  Anyhow does anyone know what's up with the posting of US 460 signs on Wagner Rd.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: 74/171FAN on March 01, 2009, 10:34:06 PM
I know that this is slightly OT, but the topic does not say US 460 between Petersburg and Suffolk.  Anyhow does anyone know what's up with the posting of US 460 signs on Wagner Rd including this one on Wagner Rd at I-95. This was taken on my phone before I got a camera BTW.

The US 460/interstate duplex was extended to Wagner Rd a couple years ago. US 460 then exits I-95 at Wagner Rd and follows it to VA 106.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

74/171FAN

The US 460/interstate duplex was extended to Wagner Rd a couple years ago. US 460 then exits I-95 at Wagner Rd and follows it to VA 106.
Its horribly posted though especially on I-95 at Wagner Rd specifically and at the US 460 intersection at VA 106 last I checked.  Soon I'm going to get photos of this.

nerdly_dood

I honestly would hate to have 460 become a toll road. I live in Roanoke, VA so 460 is a straight shot across Virginia past Lynchburg and Richmond to the Hampton Roads region. Whenever I'm going to the OBX most of the trip is on 460, with a bit of driving on I-64, followed by a right onto the Chesapeake Expressway (rt. 168) and at some point along that road there's a toll booth, which from my experience has seemed like one of those necessary evils - two dollars for a continued trip. I'll have to do some thinking about how to avoid that toll booth for the next time I go there.

74/171FAN

QuoteQuote

It should be noted that this "extension" and reroute is not signed.
Its partially posted on Wagner Rd WB but only west of VA 106.  There's a shield at the railroad intersection and US 460 West shields at the exit for I-95 North.  Might get photos of this mess with my real camera today :nod:

74/171FAN

Here are photos of US 460 West on Wagner Rd.  The first photo is a US 460 West shield at just past the railroad bridge. 

Here's US 460 West exiting onto I-95 North after a signal at Normandy Dr.  A US 460 shield has been added to the overhead in the first photo

74/171FAN

Now signage on I-95 South directing US 460 East Traffic to use Wagner Rd.  The first photo is just north of the split with I-85 directing US 460 East traffic to stay on I-95 South. 

Here's how signage has looked at the exit for US 301/US 460 Business(Exit 50) for years before US 460 was put onto I-95 to Wagner Rd(Exit 48).  However, US 460 is not posted at all on I-95 itself in both directions. 

The only indication to use Wagner Rd, which is now US 460, to access US 460 East.  There are actually two of these signs; however, I only photographed the first one. 

74/171FAN

One of the companies has dropped out of the bidding for the planned US 460toll road between I-295 near Petersburg and US 13/US 58 in Suffolk?

74/171FAN

Anyway does anyone know what's going on at the intersection of US 460 and VA 156 in Prince George County?  I went through there the other day and I'm not sure what is exactly going on there

74/171FAN

Quote from: froggie on June 11, 2009, 12:59:23 PM
According to this VDOT news release, it's a pavement repair and reconstruction project.

I already read that but I also saw supports for a possible new signal when I drove through.  I'll get photos at some point since it was raining Tuesday.

74/171FAN

Quote from: 74/171FAN on June 11, 2009, 01:51:22 PM
Quote from: froggie on June 11, 2009, 12:59:23 PM
According to this VDOT news release, it's a pavement repair and reconstruction project.

I already read that but I also saw supports for a possible new signal when I drove through.  I'll get photos at some point since it was raining Tuesday.
Since VDOT reconfigured the intersection due to the project they added temporary signals for US 460 traffic at VA 156

74/171FAN

Plans to help make US 460 a limited-access highway between US 501 and US 29 could start next year  http://www2.newsadvance.com/lna/news/opinion/editorials/article/a_step_toward_making_part_of_u.s._460_safer/18118/

froggie

My understanding is the ultimate goal is to make it a freeway-style facility, but the money doesn't exist yet for that.  The project that may begin next year would close the median crossings, but wouldn't eliminate the private access points or intersections...it'd just make them right-in/right-outs only.

njroadhorse

Quote from: 74/171FAN on August 06, 2009, 12:08:00 PM
Plans to help make US 460 a limited-access highway between US 501 and US 29 could start next year  http://www2.newsadvance.com/lna/news/opinion/editorials/article/a_step_toward_making_part_of_u.s._460_safer/18118/
Isn't 460 sort of a freeway already between 501 and 29?  When I drove it in 2008, it seemed like it was.
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

leifvanderwall

The US 460 corridor from Roanoke to Suffolk should be an interstate corridor and I would build a new US 460 freeway to bypass the I-95/I-85/I-295 jcts. just south of Petersburg. In "If I controlled the highway system" the US 460 corridor would be my extended I-40 corridor and I would have a I-140 branch at Burkeville (US 360) go to Richmond.

74/171FAN

Plans for the US 460 Toll Road postponed for a long while a few weeks ago.  Like my history teacher said he'll probably be in a wheelchair when that happens  ;-)  http://www.dailypress.com/news/dp-local_460_0922sep22,0,6092304.story

leifvanderwall

It could be that many people may have been against it. Not too many people like toll roads.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.