News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

The Sorry State of Affairs in Automobilia in the 1970s, 80s and 90s

Started by Max Rockatansky, April 30, 2016, 11:49:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takumi

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 19, 2020, 12:16:26 AM
Quote from: Takumi on August 19, 2020, 12:13:33 AM
Quote from: Tonytone on August 18, 2020, 03:40:43 PM
Quote from: Stephane Dumas on August 18, 2020, 03:07:56 PM
Nissan kicked out Carlos Ghosn (and they got implied in a scandal referred as "Ghosngate". Then some Japanese officials wanted to see Honda and Nissan merged together. Honda really dodged a bullet.
https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2020/08/report-nissan-honda-tie-up-didnt-makes-it-to-the-first-date/
I see Honda taking over nissan as a good thing. First thing Honda would do is get rid of that damn CVT transmission that nissan loves so much.
Uh...don't buy a non-manual 1.5T Honda then. They have CVTs.

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 18, 2020, 04:02:56 PM
Nissan just did a CVT bad but the bigger issue is that they are way behind all their competitors in almost every facet of the automotive market.  Nissans feel old and look the part too.  I can't even think of a single Nissan vehicle that I would even consider buying in any market segment.  Even the "halo"  GT-R feels old and outclassed by competitors.   
The GT-R actually is very old. I think it debuted in 2008. The 370Z is also a decade old by now, but unlike the GT-R there's a replacement finally in the works.

And that's the thing, I remember when the 350Z and GT-R were both hot performance cars to have.  Nissan never did anything to keep them relevant and they ended up surpassed by competitors.  The same phenomenon can be seen with everything Nissan makes.  The Altima used to be competitive with other Mid-Size cars but now isn't relevant at all.  The Titan was competitive the first years it was out and has long faded into obscurity. 
Yeah, I remember several years ago now, in an import-focused automotive magazine (remember those? Just off the top of my head there were Import Tuner, DSport, and Super Street) there was a concept of a next generation GT-R that was, essentially, a front-engined version of the new Acura NSX, which itself was still a concept at the time, with hybrid motors assisting a revised version of the TT V6. I don't know what happened there, but I haven't seen a single thing about it since.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Tonytone on August 19, 2020, 12:20:00 AM
Nissan kicked out Carlos Ghosn (and they got implied in a scandal referred as "Ghosngate". Then some Japanese officials wanted to see Honda and Nissan merged together. Honda really dodged a bullet.
https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2020/08/report-nissan-honda-tie-up-didnt-makes-it-to-the-first-date/
I see Honda taking over nissan as a good thing. First thing Honda would do is get rid of that damn CVT transmission that nissan loves so much.

Nissan just did a CVT bad but the bigger issue is that they are way behind all their competitors in almost every facet of the automotive market.  Nissans feel old and look the part too.  I can't even think of a single Nissan vehicle that I would even consider buying in any market segment.  Even the "halo"  GT-R feels old and outclassed by competitors.   
The GT-R actually is very old. I think it debuted in 2008. Other than some cosmetic changes and making the turbos crank out more power it's pretty much the same car today. The 370Z is also a decade old by now, but unlike the GT-R there's a replacement finally in the works.
Atleast honda didnt put a CVT in every single vehicle. Its ok to have 1 or 2 but every single car NAH.

iPhone

For comparison sake CVTs by default aren't necessarily shitty.  They are just as acceptable as any other automatics in my Impreza and my wife's Forester.  In the handful of Altima's I've rented over the last five years I wouldn't even say the CVT would be on my top five complaints about the car. 

Roadrunner75

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 19, 2020, 12:25:30 AM

The GT-R actually is very old. I think it debuted in 2008. Other than some cosmetic changes and making the turbos crank out more power it's pretty much the same car today. The 370Z is also a decade old by now, but unlike the GT-R there's a replacement finally in the works.
Atleast honda didnt put a CVT in every single vehicle. Its ok to have 1 or 2 but every single car NAH.

iPhone

For comparison sake CVTs by default aren't necessarily shitty.  They are just as acceptable as any other automatics in my Impreza and my wife's Forester.  In the handful of Altima's I've rented over the last five years I wouldn't even say the CVT would be on my top five complaints about the car.
My '19 Forester has a CVT.  For the most part it's been OK, but it sometimes has this stuttering/jerking when accelerating from a stop.  It's not often enough where it's been a real concern, but I do notice it.  I can see it's a common complaint.

Tonytone

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on August 19, 2020, 11:44:29 PM

iPhone

My '19 Forester has a CVT.  For the most part it's been OK, but it sometimes has this stuttering/jerking when accelerating from a stop.  It's not often enough where it's been a real concern, but I do notice it.  I can see it's a common complaint.
That's exactly the issue. Ive had problems where my old  15' nissan altima would go into limp mode going up a hill in the city or like roadrunner said it would jerk/stutter from stop/go. Very laggy on peddle response & the gear shifts were to abnormal.

It was ok on the highway, but city driving it really should its faults.

Dont get me wrong CVTS are ok & can be a good transmission but they need more work & tweaking on them in order to make them work well.

If nissan switches some of their vehicles back to regular transmissions they will see a big boost.

iPhone
Promoting Cities since 1998!

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Tonytone on August 19, 2020, 11:49:39 PM

iPhone

That's exactly the issue. Ive had problems where my old  15' nissan altima would go into limp mode going up a hill in the city or like roadrunner said it would jerk/stutter from stop/go. Very laggy on peddle response & the gear shifts were to abnormal.

Dont get me wrong CVTS are ok & can be a good transmission but they need more work & tweaking on them in order to make them work well.

If nissan switches some of their vehicles back to regular transmissions they will see a big boost.

iPhone

I haven't felt the same jerkiness in my wife's 19 Forester.  If anything her Forester seems way more powerful than my Impreza does.  I don't notice anything weird with the CVT in my Impreza, I just wish that it had the same 2.5L that the Forester does since the 2.0L feels under powered.

Tonytone

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 20, 2020, 12:06:36 AM
Quote from: Tonytone on August 19, 2020, 11:49:39 PM

iPhone

iPhone

I haven't felt the same jerkiness in my wife's 19 Forester.  If anything her Forester seems way more powerful than my Impreza does.  I don't notice anything weird with the CVT in my Impreza, I just wish that it had the same 2.5L that the Forester does since the 2.0L feels under powered.
It could be a model to model thing with the CVTS.

I just know nissan lost a lot of people putting CVTS in everywhere. People say it everytime Nissan is brought up. Its an issue, & they need to fix the current issues or go back to regular transmissions.

iPhone
Promoting Cities since 1998!

J N Winkler

I generally look to keep a car running for several hundreds of thousands of miles without having to open the engine or transmission, so the long-term durability of CVTs--especially "rubber-band" designs--is a concern for me.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Max Rockatansky

Seems that Dodge is trying to put it out there that they will need to get away from the V8 and internal combustion engine:

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/dodge-warns-regulations-killing-v8-174500736.html

That said with GM and California trying to commit to electric vehicles by 2035 are we in for another 70s-80s-90s-like Malaise Era? 

Max Rockatansky

Stephane Dumas

Max Rockatansky

Would the target market even know what Speed Racer is nowadays?

Henry

Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Henry on February 01, 2021, 08:02:30 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 01, 2021, 10:40:49 AM
Oldsmobile Bravada

The anti-Enclave, as I see it...

Everything wrong with Badge Engineering incarnate. 

Incidentally quip about how boring Indiana can get almost made me choke on my breakfast because I started laughing. 

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 01, 2021, 08:19:04 PM

Everything wrong with Badge Engineering incarnate. 

Incidentally quip about how boring Indiana can get almost made me choke on my breakfast because I started laughing. 

Speaking of badge engineering, there's an interesting article about it featuring a old cover of Fortune magazine from 1983 where a picture is worth 1000 words.
https://www.hemmings.com/stories/2021/02/03/how-a-single-magazine-cover-photo-changed-the-course-of-auto-design-at-gm-in-the-eighties

And there's more obscures rebadges around the world.
https://www.curbsideclassic.com/uncategorized/obscure-rebadges-from-around-the-world/
https://www.curbsideclassic.com/automotive-histories/obscure-rebadges-from-around-the-world-part-2/
https://www.curbsideclassic.com/automotive-histories/obscure-rebadges-from-around-the-world-part-6/

zachary_amaryllis

i don't know, maybe i'm persnickety or old or something..
but..

cars that leave various things on after you shut the car off, or the auto-headlights. i just bought a 99 camry, and the headlight switch seems to do nothing. the lights are on all the time, but at reduced brightness. the only time i touch it is flicking from high to low beams.

i have always had cars that when you shut something off, it stays off until you turn it on again. this car leaves the lights on until the key is pulled and a door is opened. plus the dome light stays on for like a minute after you shut the door and slowly dims...

i like bluetooth and while my car doesn't have it, i occasionally drive the vehicle(s) of one my neighbors, both of which are bluetoothable. i was driving one of his the other day, following him in his other car so he could take it for service. every time we stopped at a light, he could hear the music i was playing until he got too far away. plus it steals my phone call every time i go within 33 feet of either one, if they're on.

you know what? i am old...
not even here lol...
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

Avalanchez71

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 01, 2021, 10:40:49 AM
Oldsmobile Bravada

That version of the Bravada was horrible.  However, the succeeding version at the time was a nice departure from the last.

D-Dey65

Quote from: PHLBOS on August 08, 2020, 12:02:47 PM
Actually, the 1980 model was a year after the downsizing.
True, but I saw the video for the '80 LTD, not the '79.

Additionally, Ford's been comparing its full-sizes with Rolls-Royces since 1965.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZOjo7dHLZs
Impressive. I'll bet both versions are quieter than a 2002 Toyota Camry or a 1999 Honda Accord, hands down.

PHLBOS

Quote from: D-Dey65 on March 13, 2021, 10:56:28 PM
Actually, the 1980 model was a year after the downsizing.
True, but I saw the video for the '80 LTD, not the '79.
My above-comment was in response to the last sentence of your earlier-comment reposted below:

Quote from: D-Dey65 on July 17, 2020, 12:05:47 AM
Yes, but check out the 1980 version, though:
*video snipped*
The year before this Ford downsized the LTD.
One unfamiliar with the full-size Ford's history could misinterpret your comment & imply that the car didn't downsize until after the 1980 model year.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

bugo

I bet the '65 Ford with the 427 engine wasn't as quiet as a Rolls Royce.

bugo

The 427 was not available in the Brazilian LTD. The big Brazilian Fords originally used 272 and 292 Y block V8 engines, and in the 1970s, the 302 Windsor replaced the ancient Y block engines. The 427 was available (in 1965) in the Custom, Custom 500, Galaxie 500, Galaxie 500 LTD and Galaxie 500/XL. Many of the 427 engines wound up in Customs because they were lighter than the Galaxies and therefore better for racing, but were available across the board. I have seen pictures of a '65 LTD 2 door hardtop with a 427 and a 4 speed manual. They didn't build many of them, but they must have been quite the sleeper when they were new.

PHLBOS

GPS does NOT equal GOD

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: bugo on March 16, 2021, 04:22:33 AM
I bet the '65 Ford with the 427 engine wasn't as quiet as a Rolls Royce.

and my 99 camry is pretty quiet, really. you don't really hear the engine at all unless you put your foot in it, and even then its pretty quiet.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

Henry

I like to think of my 2019 Equinox as a very quiet car, especially when compared to the gas-guzzling '98 Tahoe I had before that.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Henry on March 18, 2021, 09:53:45 AM
I like to think of my 2019 Equinox as a very quiet car, especially when compared to the gas-guzzling '98 Tahoe I had before that.

My 02 Ford Mustang sounded loud and wheezy like a Ford Ranger.  I suspect that had everything to do with the horrible 3.8L V6 that came with the base model. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.