News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

US routes graphed on a timeline

Started by usends, February 02, 2019, 05:22:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

usends

For quite some time I have been wondering how it would look to graph all of the US highways on a timeline, and I finally had an opportunity to do it.  I was surprised about some of the patterns that showed up in the data, and this exercise increased my understanding of the history of the US highway system.  I've put together a webpage displaying the results:
https://usends.com/history.html
I wanted to see what all of you think before I create public links to it.
usends.com - US highway endpoints, photos, maps, and history

froggie

At first brush, I'd put the "eras" each on their own separate pages.  Having them all together on one page plus the tables makes for an extreme amount of scrolling.

Bickendan

Did Oregon and Washington both kill 99 in 1969? I thought 99 hung on for a bit after California stupidly killed their portion before Oregon and Washington followed suit.

froggie

^ Washington's elimination of US 99 was approved at the Spring (June), 1969 AASHTO meeting.  Oregon's was a couple years later, at the Annual (December) 1971 meeting.

usends

Quote from: Bickendan on February 03, 2019, 05:09:27 AM
Did Oregon and Washington both kill 99 in 1969? I thought 99 hung on for a bit after California stupidly killed their portion before Oregon and Washington followed suit.
Yes, thanks for pointing that out.  For this project I used my own individual route pages as the primary source, but on those pages I dealt with Interstate-related incremental truncations in aggregate.  However, on this timeline, I can (and should) be more specific.

usends

Quote from: froggie on February 02, 2019, 09:04:12 PM
At first brush, I'd put the "eras" each on their own separate pages.  Having them all together on one page plus the tables makes for an extreme amount of scrolling.
That's true.  Or what if I kept all the text on this page, and just provide links to the charts, which would be hosted on Flickr?

froggie

^ Still think eras should be separated out onto their own pages.

wxfree

I love the idea of it.  As to the presentation, I like it the way it is, because I primarily use a desktop computer with a somewhat large monitor, so scrolling isn't a big deal.  Viewing the page on my phone, it is somewhat cumbersome.  Using separate pages would make it easier to use on a small screen and require only a negligible amount of additional effort with a large screen to click the links.  I much prefer images embedded rather than linked, because with a large screen you can see them together and easily refer back and forth, while on a small screen, which I don't use as much, I suppose it might be easier to switch between browser tabs to see the image and then the text, without having to scroll.  But this case is different, because those charts are so long, so even on a large screen I have to scroll to refer back to the text, so in this case it's probably easier with either type of screen to switch between tabs.

Also, I much prefer a direct link to the image, rather than to the web page where you have to use the weird interface to enlarge and scroll.  To me, this link is much better than the view page
https://c1.staticflickr.com/8/7842/32020611027_74776e4d97_h.jpg
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

CNGL-Leudimin

Thanks to these graphs I've noticed that if no new US routes are comissioned before the end of this year then the 2010s will be the first decade with no new US routes since they came into existence in 1926. The system seems to have stabilized, although someone I know wants to kill it.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Bickendan

There's one addition I think should be added, and that's the ON/NV 140 corridor.
Maybe I'll email ODOT/OTC and see what they think.

epzik8

My favorite DC ones are 111, 213 and 240.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

usends

Quote from: wxfree on February 03, 2019, 03:34:18 PM
To me, this link is much better than the view page
https://c1.staticflickr.com/8/7842/32020611027_74776e4d97_h.jpg
Thanks.  Did you have to copy the BBC code in order to obtain that URL, or is there an easier way?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.