News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Best downtown freeways

Started by STLmapboy, June 25, 2020, 01:50:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

STLmapboy

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 26, 2020, 04:50:05 AM
How about I-40 Oklahoma City (opened January 5, 2012)?

Another good one.
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

TheStranger

I really like the stretch of the Santa Ana Freeway that remains part of US 101 - it is narrow and congested, but also full of history and offers its own "entrance into town" vibe near Los Angeles's Union Station that is not quite as dramatic as Harbor Freeway/110 past Staples Center, but still fun.  (the Harbor Freeway does have more of a "skyscraper canyon" feel)

FDR Drive in Manhattan could also fit this category if we're just talking limited-access routes in urban cores in general (and I did see Boston's Storrow Drive mentioned earlier).

Chris Sampang

csw

I-74 eastbound through Peoria gives some nice views of the city, and has enough lanes to avoid congestion most of the time.
I-64 through Charleston is interesting because of all the bridges.
I-77 and I-85 in Charlotte have lots of lanes and are in pretty good shape pavement-wise.
I-40 through Albuquerque has nicely decorated bridges and walls and has planty of lanes.
I-71/75 heading north into Cincinnati from northern Kentucky gives a great view of the skyline, but is usually jammed with traffic.
I-90/94 in Chicago has lots of great views of the city, but I have a hard time agreeing that it's the "best" because of all the traffic.

kphoger

Quote from: csw on June 26, 2020, 01:01:12 PM
I-90/94 in Chicago has lots of great views of the city, but I have a hard time agreeing that it's the "best" because of all the traffic.

I think the same thing about I-290.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

vdeane

Quote from: webny99 on June 25, 2020, 11:39:21 PM
Setting aside the 40 mph speed limit, I think this section of I-490 in Downtown Rochester, bridge included, is an all-time classic. It's a short, sweet and all-encompassing view of downtown, where the old saying "blink and you miss it" actually applies quite literally.

I've been to many cities - both driving through and visiting - and come away wishing they had a nice, clean, snapshot view of their city from the freeway just like this one. But that's why there's no place like home, I guess.  :)
I-490 and I-787 are both really nice.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

planxtymcgillicuddy

US-421/Salem Parkway through Winston-Salem at night. In the many times I've taken that route to see races at Bowman-Gray, I am dumbfounded that I never brought my camera. W-S all lit up is so visually pleasing to me
It's easy to be easy when you're easy...

Quote from: on_wisconsin on November 27, 2021, 02:39:12 PM
Whats a Limon, and does it go well with gin?

texaskdog

Quote from: Hwy 61 Revisited on June 25, 2020, 11:44:03 PM
I-376 does really fit the bill. There's a reason Pittsburgh is called "The only city with an entrance."

They said that about Dallas until Kennedy visited :(

interstate73

The FDR Drive in Manhattan is pretty spectacular views-wise, but it's not exactly close to freeway standards and doesn't really go through Lower Manhattan. I'm also a big fan of I-280 through the Oranges and Newark, I like the depressed freeway style and I also like being able to see trains on the NJT M&E elevated line right next to the highway!
🎶 Man, there’s an opera on the Turnpike 🎶

Morris County if the Route 178 Freeway had been built:

Flint1979

Quote from: csw on June 26, 2020, 01:01:12 PM
The only thing I dislike there is all those on and off ramps every 500 feet or so.

For Chicago I personally like I-55 it gives it a nice view coming in from the southwest.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: STLmapboy on June 25, 2020, 01:50:49 PM
I-35 in Duluth has some really nice stretches of interstate near Lake Superior in downtown. It was built a bit later than most downtown interstates (opened 1992) and it shows. It is mostly in a trench with several freeway-cap parks and tunnels, virtually nil in the way of graffiti, and modern interchanges (like a SPUI at Lake Avenue).

The original plan was for an elevated freeway, which wasn't popular because it would have blocked the lake view similar to the Embarcadero Freeway in SF. As Steve Riner mentioned on his site, the underground freeway may have been the best thing to happen to Duluth as it was a rare example of urban renewal actually working out, removing a lot of ugly, decaying buildings and lesser-used railroads east of downtown and replacing them with greenspace.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

CoreySamson

I-40 thru downtown Memphis is one of my favorites. The Pyramid really is startling and cool.

I also like the Pierce Elevated in Houston. In one area it feels like you're just barely squeezing between 2 buildings.

Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

STLmapboy

Quote from: CoreySamson on June 27, 2020, 11:59:07 AM
I-40 thru downtown Memphis is one of my favorites. The Pyramid really is startling and cool.

I also like the Pierce Elevated in Houston. In one area it feels like you're just barely squeezing between 2 buildings.

If NHHIP goes through than the Pierce could be a thing of the past  :-(
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

bing101

Downtown Connector in Atlanta is if CA-110 met interstate standards.GA-400 in Downtown Buckhead.
I-405 in Bellevue, WA gives that the feel of going into downtown.

ftballfan

I-196 and US-131 in Grand Rapids
I-65 in Louisville (except for the toll bridge just north of it)

cwf1701

In Detroit, I-375 before the sharp curve to end at Jefferson Ave (BUS-375) with the view of the Ren Cen in the foreground.

RobbieL2415

I've always liked the West Side Highway on the Upper West Side. The Hudson on one and the topography with the hi-rises in the background on the other is very striking.

You get some great views of Manhattan going southbound on the Bruckner Expressway.

I-95 and I-195 through Providence are quite nice now.

mgk920

Quote from: texaskdog on June 25, 2020, 02:16:56 PM
Quote from: STLmapboy on June 25, 2020, 01:50:49 PM
I-35 in Duluth has some really nice stretches of interstate near Lake Superior in downtown. It was built a bit later than most downtown interstates (opened 1992) and it shows. It is mostly in a trench with several freeway-cap parks and tunnels, virtually nil in the way of graffiti, and modern interchanges (like a SPUI at Lake Avenue). Also in MN, I-35W in St Paul has a nice downtown stretch (modern bridges, smart signage, and plants in the median south of downtown).

Any other above-par stretches of urban interstate?

When I saw the post I was going to say I-35 in Duluth first.

You mean 35E in Saint Paul, which is the practice freeway

I've been very impressed with what MnDOT did with I-35E/94 in downtown Saint Paul, MN when they rebuilt it in the 1980s.

Mike

andrepoiy

The Gardiner Expressway in Toronto goes right next to the core and you come close to multiple buildings. It's also elevated for a large section. The expressway itself is pretty old (no shoulders etc.) but the scenery is awesome.

bwana39

Quote from: Henry on June 26, 2020, 10:37:58 AM
Quote from: thspfc on June 25, 2020, 03:14:01 PM

I-45 in Houston

Just like a baseball in Minute Maid Park.... Going? Going! Almost gone...................................
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

bing101

I-5 North going to Downtown San Diego is good.

Manila Skyway in Pinoy Joyrides videos have some good shots of Makati area.

TheDon102

Gowanus Expressway and the BQE have great views

plain

I-95 literally touches the tallest building in Richmond.
Newark born, Richmond bred

sparker

I'd have to nominate US 101 through Santa Barbara; the southern (compass WSW-ENE portion) portion, the most recently completed, while remaining a surface freeway, did not require any signifcant property taking when it was made full freeway (crossing streets were sunk into underpasses), while the northern (compass SSE-NNW) portion simply follows the UP/Amtrak rail line, which when initially built as an expressway also had minimal residential displacement.  Both quite scenic and largely respectful of the neighboring community. 

TheHighwayMan3561

I-394 in Minneapolis as it dives below downtown, then rises up to dump you in at its eastern terminus.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.