News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Brooklyn Battery/Hugh Carey Tunnel

Started by Nycsaab, November 22, 2017, 07:23:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nycsaab

So I have a unique question. I drove the Brooklyn Battery tunnel from Brooklyn into Manhattan in Sept with Cashless tolling the problem was that there was no warning that there was a toll until it was too late and I had to take the toll. Does anyone know the legislation on warnings for tolls prior to them in NY. I would like to fight the toll maybe someone has or could make a video from I 278 to the Tunnel entrance headed into to Manhattan. I looked and their is NOT one on you tube. Thanks

Post Merge: November 22, 2017, 08:42:57 PM

And I should add I drove coming from the Narrows bridge headed north on 278

Alps

The toll is signed in advance, you just didn't see the signs.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

roadman65

Hey you are not alone.  I collect tolls and FL signs all its toll roads pretty well, and many come crying to me when they go through the cashless that they were suckered into being on the toll road.  Plus many nowadays believe that all merchants, especially state run ones like the toll roads, take cards as in many people's mind our nation rid itself of cash some time ago despite it still being issued at banks and stores do have them inside the registers.

Live it and learn that you have to stay focused and most likely a traffic judge will remind you that ignorance of the law is not an excuse.  Same goes for Right TUrns on Red as NYC its illegal and because of NYS law allowing it, no signs need to be posted like elsewhere in this nation.  You get a ticket for making a RTOR a judge too will not use the out of town excuse as a reason for breaking the law.

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Duke87

The fact that there is a toll is clearly signed well before the exit point.

And no, you do not have any grounds to fight it. You used the tolled facility, you pay the toll or you incur penalties for being a scofflaw. Being ignorant of a toll's existence does not excuse you from it.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

roadman65

Like I said, you live you learn.  Then hopefully you won't do it again. :)
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

MikeCL

One question since we are talking about the same tunnel why do they have so many state troopers facing the traffic coming into Manhattan where the other tunnels don't have much of anything?

Alps

Quote from: MikeCL on February 26, 2018, 09:05:25 PM
One question since we are talking about the same tunnel why do they have so many state troopers facing the traffic coming into Manhattan where the other tunnels don't have much of anything?
I haven't noticed that at all. I know at the QMT the troopers are looking for trucks to pull over and inspect for overheight before the enter the tunnel. If you're talking about troopers IN Manhattan, then WTC.

MikeCL

Quote from: Alps on February 26, 2018, 09:49:58 PM
I haven't noticed that at all. I know at the QMT the troopers are looking for trucks to pull over and inspect for overheight before the enter the tunnel. If you're talking about troopers IN Manhattan, then WTC.
I was thinking WTC myself.. I got pulled over about 2 weeks ago going to the Lincoln Tunnel reason was because I did not have a reg sticker on my front window he was like in NJ we require it but I see you are from CT so it's ok.. I thought that was a bit odd because he looked at my plate as he was walking back to his car to check my DL.

KEVIN_224

@ DUKE87: Your link only goes to a tunnel with water in it. Am I missing something?

Duke87

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on February 26, 2018, 11:58:08 PM
@ DUKE87: Your link only goes to a tunnel with water in it. Am I missing something?

That is... strange. Looks like Google added some new imagery and so my link got kicked into that rather than what it originally pointed to. I believe I was originally linking to this sign (nearly right above the tunnel the link above now points to):
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.6715668,-73.9982804,3a,75y,313.25h,98.82t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sR5ge3iZdVvlgU9t8lbO5IQ!2e0!5s20160601T000000!7i13312!8i6656

That said, it looks like some new imagery of the road itself has been posted since then and... holy shit:
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.6715479,-73.9982591,3a,75y,322.37h,91.79t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sj9fMCn8BiEsLKHmj2riz9A!2e0!5s20170901T000000!7i13312!8i6656

Any mention of there being a toll has been removed from these signs. That is bad. The OP may have a legitimate gripe (although still probably no legal recourse other than complaining to the state about it).
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

storm2k

There is this one at the 1/4 mile approach sign. There's also this small guy which does mention a toll, but kinda cryptically. I wish NYSDOT would get with the program and at least put yellow toll banners on the signage for the tunnel if they're not going to keep the placards underneath the signs anymore. Seems more commonplace to do stuff like this, tho. Feels a lot like the terrible signage on 95 in Delaware, which I'm fairly convinced was done to try and prevent shunpiking.

vdeane

Would the other tunnels in question be the Port Authority ones that still take cash?  Those troopers are ready to go out and arrest anyone who's flagged by the licence plate scanners and facial recognition cameras on the gantries.  Part of that is to go after people who chronically don't pay, but it's also to fight terrorism.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.