Group pushing for a Plattsburgh (NY) - Grand Isle (VT) bridge

Started by froggie, March 02, 2018, 09:50:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cl94

Chiming in as another person familiar with the area, the likelihood of this happening is somewhere between slim and none. 2 miles, deep water, PITA to get supplies out there, need a navigation channel. You can't compare the Crown Point bridge because the water down there appears to be a good 150+ feet shallower. In fact, I think a Cumberland Head bridge would be at least 3 times more expensive than the Crown Point replacement. And I think the water is too rough to have a floating bridge a la Lake Washington or VT 65. I certainly don't think there would be enough traffic to support a bridge unless it was tolled (and you'd have to have a high toll).
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

froggie

I've come up with a theoretical design for this bridge idea and posted it over in the Fictional Highways section.

froggie

Resurrecting this thread because the idea got some press a few weeks ago:

https://vtdigger.org/2022/05/08/new-yorkers-with-vermont-ties-push-for-a-new-bridge-across-the-lake/amp/

Not much actual change or progress on the idea in the past 4 years.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.