AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: Bering Strait Rail Tunnel  (Read 76718 times)

Grzrd

• Interested Observer

• Last Login: August 27, 2020, 03:56:45 PM
Re: Bering Strait Rail Tunnel
« Reply #100 on: November 09, 2016, 11:45:13 AM »

This Oct. 26 article suggests that Donald Trump may discuss the Bering Strait rail tunnel the next time he meets with Putin:

The head of InterBering, LLC, a company promoting construction of a rail line connecting North America and Asia under the Bering Strait, says the Russian Government is giving consideration to the project and doing feasibility studies, referring to the August 12th report in Moscow Times at https://themoscowtimes.com/news/russia-to-spend-200-billion-on-continent-wide-transportation-system-54967.
Soloview has made several trips to Russia to meet with Russian officials, including those in charge of railway planning ( http://www.interbering.com/Russian-Railways-support-letter.html .) Over the summer he got news that they are considering not only his plan for a Bering Strait tunnel, submitted to the Office of the Russian President on August 1, 2014, but also air trading links and new sea routes taking advantage of the receding polar ice cap ....
He notes that increased trade likewise could provide incentives for improved diplomatic relations between the U.S. and Russia and lift sanctions in exchange for participation. Both candidates seeking the presidency in this country have talked about the need to improve infrastructure and international trade.
The Republican nominee, Donald Trump, also said in an interview on October 17th, that he might meet with Russian President Vladimir Putin before he even makes it into the White House
, reported by CNN at http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/17/politics/donald-trump-vladimir-putin-michael-savage/ .
"I think I could see myself meeting with Putin and meeting with Russia prior to the start of the administration. I think it would be wonderful," Trump told Michael Savage in an interview for his radio show.
"Guess what Trump will be talking with Putin if not about construction of US-Russia railroad over the Bering Strait?"
- questioned Fyodor Soloview ....

cpzilliacus

• Last Login: December 31, 2023, 03:00:12 PM
« Reply #101 on: November 12, 2016, 07:27:30 PM »

The closest point on Russian railroad network is at a place called  Nizhny Bestyakh, about 1,750 mostly roadless miles (and some of it pretty rough-looking terrain) to the Siberian shoreline opposite Nome, Alaska.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Buffaboy

• I love good roads AND public transit

• Last Login: March 09, 2024, 07:38:19 PM
« Reply #102 on: January 30, 2018, 03:47:30 AM »

I would like to see this come to fruition one day.

What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

abefroman329

• Last Login: October 17, 2023, 11:38:46 AM
« Reply #103 on: January 30, 2018, 09:28:07 AM »

Current cruises on the QM2, QE and QV (all three Cunard ships do the run and none other do, but the Cunards also do other stuff - like going around the world - so only cross the Atlantic infrequently and typically only in the Southampton - New York/Fort Lauderdale direction) are about 5 days, IIRC.

Sorry to bump a six-year-old post, and this may have been true six years ago, but currently the non-stop QM2 crossing between NYC and Southampton is 7 nights.  I believe it's possible to make the crossing in 5 or 6 nights, but allotting 7 nights allows for possible delays while en route.

Rothman

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:52:13 PM
« Reply #104 on: January 30, 2018, 09:43:36 AM »

Delays on a boat?  Like icebergs?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kkt

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:59:29 PM
« Reply #105 on: January 30, 2018, 10:40:15 AM »

Like severe storms.  While they ship would be capable of steaming through most anything, it is a lot more comfortable for the passengers to slow down rather than be tossed around.

abefroman329

• Last Login: October 17, 2023, 11:38:46 AM
« Reply #106 on: January 30, 2018, 10:51:51 AM »

Delays on a boat?  Like icebergs?

What kkt said, also search-and-rescue operations due to "man overboard" from this or another vessel, or another vessel in distress, or a medical emergency that requires a passenger or crewmember to be medevac'd...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.