News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Washington

Started by jakeroot, May 21, 2016, 01:56:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TEG24601

Quote from: jakeroot on May 22, 2019, 04:46:31 PM
New roundabout coming to SR-20 @ Banta Road, the primary northern access point to NAS Whidbey. Construction starts next Wednesday...should be complete by fall:

http://wsdot.wa.gov/news/2019/05/22/roundabout-coming-landing-oak-harbor

This will be the fifth roundabout on SR-20, including the two in Port Townsend and two new ones at Sharpes and Howards Corners.

The Banta Rd Roundabout was finished a week before the Independence Day Holiday.  They are to be doing the fog seal and permanent markings this week.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

jakeroot

Quote from: TEG24601 on July 14, 2019, 02:59:56 PM
The Banta Rd Roundabout was finished a week before the Independence Day Holiday.  They are to be doing the fog seal and permanent markings this week.

Damn quick work...gotta love summer construction season!

Bruce

East Link catenary supports are being installed on the East Channel Bridge.

jakeroot

Quote from: Bruce on July 19, 2019, 12:37:27 AM

https://i.imgur.com/kvui9iu.jpg

I was reading that some of the catenary supports for the Tacoma Link extension will start going up this year. There's certainly a lot of light rail construction in this state right now!

Bruce

Quote from: jakeroot on July 19, 2019, 06:29:00 PM
Quote from: Bruce on July 19, 2019, 12:37:27 AM

https://i.imgur.com/kvui9iu.jpg

I was reading that some of the catenary supports for the Tacoma Link extension will start going up this year. There's certainly a lot of light rail construction in this state right now!

There's also tree clearing underway on I-5 between Northgate and Lynnwood, and Federal Way should kick off soon.

Bruce

A few acres of trees at the I-5 / SR 529 interchange in southern Marysville have been clearcut to make way for the new ramps and a salmon habitat restoration project. Looks pretty ugly now.

Bruce

The preliminary design for the rebuild I-405 / NE 85th interchange in Kirkland, to cost $300 million to add ETL ramps and a small bus stop.

https://twitter.com/danjryan/status/1152455852382543872

It's really overkill for a place that will have almost no bus activity.

Kacie Jane

Quote from: Bruce on July 23, 2019, 12:31:45 PM
It's really overkill for a place that will have almost no bus activity.

I don't disagree that it's overkill, but the second half of your sentence is wrong.

It's true that the freeway stops at 70th (there currently aren't any at 85th) have little to no activity, but that's precisely because they're on the wrong side of the freeway now.

The plan for these stops would be to have them served by all the routes that currently serve the stops at 128th -- which sees plenty of activity -- plus the new BRT line.

(Though admittedly "plus" might be the wrong word, since the BRT should replace at least one of the current Sound Transit lines.)

Bruce

Route 535 will be replaced by the new BRT (Stride), but there will be little connecting transit. Ridership projections have less than a thousand boardings per day at the NE 85th Station, which is ridiculously low.

compdude787

It's a cool interchange though! Very British, too. I personally think it's neat, though I do agree that it's overkill for buses.

jakeroot

Quote from: compdude787 on July 24, 2019, 02:27:24 AM
It's a cool interchange though! Very British, too. I personally think it's neat, though I do agree that it's overkill for buses.

That's what I was thinking. Basically some form of a three-level roundabout.

Bruce

I made a quick visit to Tacoma yesterday and noticed a lot of weird choices on the temporary BGS. Stretched city names and odd-shaped shields.

Also, this in Federal Way/Kent:

Sea-Tac, Seatac, Sea-tac...

jakeroot

Quote from: Bruce on July 27, 2019, 04:54:54 PM
I made a quick visit to Tacoma yesterday and noticed a lot of weird choices on the temporary BGS. Stretched city names and odd-shaped shields.

Yeah, the lane configurations have changed a bit recently. They've come with some terrible signs (click to enlarge):

Henry

Quote from: jakeroot on July 27, 2019, 05:48:20 PM
Quote from: Bruce on July 27, 2019, 04:54:54 PM

Yeah, the lane configurations have changed a bit recently. They've come with some terrible signs (click to enlarge):

Isn't that Series F? Out of the regular FHWA fonts, it is the ugliest! But at least it's not Clearview...
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

jakeroot

Quote from: Henry on August 02, 2019, 10:40:19 AM
Isn't that Series F? Out of the regular FHWA fonts, it is the ugliest! But at least it's not Clearview...

I think it's just stretched Series E. But I could be wrong. Either way, dammit it's bad.

Bruce

Noticed quite a few Historic US 10 shields on a few exits on I-90 between George and Ritzville, and a few on the side roads. Who is leading this campaign?

ClassicHasClass

Is old US 10 actually signed in Ritzville? I just remember Business 90 shields when I was there last (about three years ago).

jakeroot

Quote from: Bruce on August 04, 2019, 01:44:48 AM
Noticed quite a few Historic US 10 shields on a few exits on I-90 between George and Ritzville, and a few on the side roads. Who is leading this campaign?

https://i.imgur.com/EjWGaRI.jpg

The Historic Route 10 signs came about after District 9 Senator Mark Schoesler secured $50k for their installations in 2017. He indicates that he was inspired by other historic signs in places like California.

I can't find anything on the Historic 99 signs.

Bruce

Another thing I noticed in Spokane: the bike route for SR 291 is well signed and extends all the way to downtown (unlike the road version).

jakeroot

In a remarkably unprecedented move, WSDOT has actually installed another official arrow-per-lane (APL) sign in Tacoma, as part of the reconfiguration works in the area. This, I believe, will be only the second official APL in the state (second to the 5/205 split in Vancouver). There are some others with some slight variation, but none that fit MUTCD specs.

Not sure if there will be a second through lane or not.

thefraze_1020

Does anybody know what the story is with the new white signs that have gone up at bridges along I-5? They say something along the lines of "emergency vehicle axle weight restriction". What is concerning is that the first one I saw it for was Stilliguamish River bridge on I-5 southbound (the older bridge), which had its deck completely rebuilt only a few years ago.
Alright, this is how it's gonna be!

jakeroot

Quote from: thefraze_1020 on August 09, 2019, 01:42:00 AM
Does anybody know what the story is with the new white signs that have gone up at bridges along I-5? They say something along the lines of "emergency vehicle axle weight restriction". What is concerning is that the first one I saw it for was Stilliguamish River bridge on I-5 southbound (the older bridge), which had its deck completely rebuilt only a few years ago.

Do you know which bridges specifically, beyond the Stilliguamish crossing, that you've seen the sign on? I can't recall seeing any such signs down here in the south sound.

Bruce

Quote from: jakeroot on August 09, 2019, 02:58:40 AM
Quote from: thefraze_1020 on August 09, 2019, 01:42:00 AM

Do you know which bridges specifically, beyond the Stilliguamish crossing, that you've seen the sign on? I can't recall seeing any such signs down here in the south sound.

Lots of overpasses on I-5 in Snohomish County have them. I snapped a picture of one a few days ago (and will edit this post to include it once I get home).

compdude787

I've also seen this sign on I-5 NB on the Lowell Road overpass in Everett, and I think on one of the I-5 bridges over Ebey Slough (can't remember which one). I've also seen one on I-405 NB in either Newcastle or north Renton.

I do find it kinda strange that these signs are popping up all over the place all of a sudden.

thefraze_1020

The four I specifically remember are I-5 southbound at Stilliguamish River, I-5 southbound over SR 529 (Marysville), I-5 northbound at Lowell Road, and US 2 westbound at the Hewitt Ave Trestle. I recall seeing others on non-freeway state routes, but I cannot remember where.
Alright, this is how it's gonna be!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.