News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Washington

Started by jakeroot, May 21, 2016, 01:56:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce

Here's the Lowell one (NB):

They are all over Marysville and Everett, though I'd wish that we'd get some HOV signs instead.

jakeroot

I was in Vancouver yesterday, and saw a bunch on my drive up. Some with names, some without. Some along 405, many along I-5.

True to my word, I did not see any in Pierce County, on either I-5, 512, or 167 during my drive yesterday. Perhaps it's a NW Region thing?

BloonsTDFan360

We have one in SW region too. I-5 between La Center and Woodland has one of those for one of the Lewis River bridges.

We drove all the way up to Mt. Vernon a couple weeks ago and can confirm that none of these signs were out there between Woodland and Snohomish County.

ErmineNotyours

Quote from: thefraze_1020 on August 09, 2019, 01:42:00 AM
Does anybody know what the story is with the new white signs that have gone up at bridges along I-5? They say something along the lines of "emergency vehicle axle weight restriction". What is concerning is that the first one I saw it for was Stilliguamish River bridge on I-5 southbound (the older bridge), which had its deck completely rebuilt only a few years ago.

Load Rating for the FAST Act's Emergency Vehicles

ErmineNotyours

Even though the above link says the signs are meant for bridges on the Interstate System, or roads one mile from the Interstates, this neighborhood bridge, Williams Avenue over the Cedar River in Renton, was made an exception.

nexus73

Has there been any news about WSDOT upgrading the last 4-lane section of I-5 between Puget Sound and PDX to 6-lanes?

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

ErmineNotyours

Quote from: nexus73 on August 13, 2019, 12:37:28 AM
Has there been any news about WSDOT upgrading the last 4-lane section of I-5 between Puget Sound and PDX to 6-lanes?

Rick

It's six lanes to Centralia and four lanes south of there.

jakeroot

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on August 13, 2019, 10:01:30 AM
Quote from: nexus73 on August 13, 2019, 12:37:28 AM

Rick

It's six lanes to Centralia and four lanes south of there.

There are some other brief six lane sections, which I assume were built in preparation for future widening. Around Labree Road for instance. Northbound at Mulford Road as well. They don't have far to go, since the six lane section from the OR border goes all the way to the Toutle River rest area (around 53 miles).

I have been rummaging through WSDOT's website, especially looking through long-range plans and TIP awards, but cannot find anything. I know I've seen at least one document that listed every future project for like 30 years, several years ago. Among widening I-5 to six lanes, it listed other things like rebuilding the I-5/WA-512 interchange (something I cannot find any reference to now either).

I don't plan to give up looking for it, as it was a rather impressive list. Problem is, I don't remember what it was called, but it was a very basic PDF that listed every project with the state route number on the left (starting at 2, then 3, then 4, and so on, all the way to the last state route), with the details to the right of that, expected cost, expected construction date, etc. Not a lot of detail beyond that, but it summed up everything pretty well.

EDIT: the worst part about WSDOT is how often they kill a link. Seems like half of my bookmarks that go to wsdot.wa.gov give me a 404 error. Luckily I have the Wayback Machine, but it's only any good if they've actually archived those pages.

thefraze_1020

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on August 13, 2019, 12:29:18 AM
Quote from: thefraze_1020 on August 09, 2019, 01:42:00 AM
Does anybody know what the story is with the new white signs that have gone up at bridges along I-5? They say something along the lines of "emergency vehicle axle weight restriction". What is concerning is that the first one I saw it for was Stilliguamish River bridge on I-5 southbound (the older bridge), which had its deck completely rebuilt only a few years ago.

Load Rating for the FAST Act's Emergency Vehicles

Thank you! I guess I misunderstood the meaning of the signs. I thought it referred to emergency restrictions because they discovered something alarming on a bridge inspection. Apparently the "emergency" refers emergency vehicles.
Alright, this is how it's gonna be!

Bruce

Spotted in the wild (and came back to photograph it): a recent state-name I-405 shield in Canyon Park.

Located here on westbound 228th Street at 10th Avenue.

Bruce

In a few months, we should be seeing a few of these signs popping up near certain cities:

ArtsWA (the state art agency) is now charged with designating creative cities to recognize cities that have done well at raising a distinct arts community. Edmonds was the first to receive the honor; so far, Port Townsend and Olympia are the only other major Puget Sound cities to earn the title.

Bruce

The Everett Herald has a short article about the criteria WSDOT use to determine whether an intersection needs to be redesigned. Good for laymen explanations.

https://www.heraldnet.com/news/how-and-why-an-intersection-gets-redesigned-in-washington/

jakeroot

Quote from: Bruce on August 21, 2019, 12:33:56 AM
Spotted in the wild (and came back to photograph it): a recent state-name I-405 shield in Canyon Park.

Located here on westbound 228th Street at 10th Avenue.

I was totally caught off-guard when I spotted that assembly a couple years ago. I posted it over in the state-named shields thread.

Strangely, it was not always a state-named shield (even though the assembly is otherwise identical to the old one, which looked brand-new before it was replaced).

Quote from: jakeroot on May 23, 2017, 12:10:09 AM
It's not a reassurance shield, but it does have the state name. It's also not cut-out (**jabs eye with pencil**). Whatever, I'll take it...

This assembly has existed only for a few years. No idea why it's 2di-width (though I do prefer it). Too bad it's not cutout! This would be a great sign.

https://goo.gl/uISB9S

Bruce

From the 1978 state highway map: metric demonstration signs

ClassicHasClass

There was still a "dual" sign at Laurier for US 395, at least as of a couple years ago.

http://www.floodgap.com/roadgap/395/u30/#img_40

jakeroot

Quote from: Bruce on August 27, 2019, 12:21:49 AM

https://i.imgur.com/oJ4tGLD.jpg

That's a great find, Bruce. Seattle Public Library archives?

Bruce

Quote from: jakeroot on August 29, 2019, 01:05:20 PM

WSDOT has been uploading its official highway maps to the digital repository. It's fairly complete for anything in the 1950s and 1960s.

ErmineNotyours

(Cross post from The Good, The Bad and The Ugly)  I can't seem to find the thread where someone was looking at US Routing through Downtown Seattle, but this photo seems to fit here.  December 1941.  This is northbound 4th Ave at Westlake.  The normal 99 routing is forward (left) of here, but this sign includes an arrow to the right at the top of the sign.  "Aurora" is on top where "US" should be, and "US" is next where the state should be.  In the background workers are installing an air raid siren and in the foreground is a drinking fountain with a working dog trough.  From the Seattle Times.

Aurora US 99 neon shield by Arthur Allen, on Flickr

jakeroot

Quote from: Bruce on August 29, 2019, 10:51:16 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on August 29, 2019, 01:05:20 PM

WSDOT has been uploading its official highway maps to the digital repository. It's fairly complete for anything in the 1950s and 1960s.

Cool website. More on there than I remember! I'll be browsing through there for a while.

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on August 29, 2019, 11:30:08 PM
(Cross post from The Good, The Bad and The Ugly)  I can't seem to find the thread where someone was looking at US Routing through Downtown Seattle, but this photo seems to fit here.  December 1941.  This is northbound 4th Ave at Westlake.  The normal 99 routing is forward (left) of here, but this sign includes an arrow to the right at the top of the sign.  "Aurora" is on top where "US" should be, and "US" is next where the state should be.  In the background workers are installing an air raid siren and in the foreground is a drinking fountain with a working dog trough.  From the Seattle Times.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48645421091_285fe3a484_c.jpg

Hard to believe anyone would have seen that arrow atop the shield. But I *love* that shield with "Aurora" written on top of that. So cool.

Alps

the "US" is in the correct spot...

jakeroot

I was reading about future changes to Seattle's 23/24 Ave E corridor (for Vision Zero), and saw that they planned to install a "protected eastbound left-turn signal phase" for the left turn off John to northbound 23 Ave E.

I find this rather interesting, as the left turn is already protected.

Image of the "change" below...

The only real change might be the installation of a compliant signal. I'm fairly certain that the current left turn signal does not meet federal standards, though the left is still technically protected.

I've seen this intersection on webcam many times, and I fail to see how this change will reduce the number of collisions. Operationally, nothing will change about the intersection. My suggestion would be to install signals on the poles, so they might be more visible in one's peripheral vision whilst they are using their cell phone.

Bruce

ErmineNotyours

I just got a request from local historian Feliks Banel asking me about the origin of the name "Sunset Highway" (US 10) and I was wondering if anyone here knew.  I then came across Max's post on the Oregon Sunset Highway, reminding me of the duplicated use of the name there.

jakeroot

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on September 19, 2019, 10:47:34 PM
I just got a request from local historian Feliks Banel asking me about the origin of the name "Sunset Highway" (US 10) and I was wondering if anyone here knew.  I then came across Max's post on the Oregon Sunset Highway, reminding me of the duplicated use of the name there.

That's cool. Sunset Highway on Mercer Island (the short stretch of arterial)? Or Sunset Blvd in Renton? Or Sunset Highway in Oregon?

ErmineNotyours

Quote from: jakeroot on September 19, 2019, 11:31:19 PM
Quote from: ErmineNotyours on September 19, 2019, 10:47:34 PM

That's cool. Sunset Highway on Mercer Island (the short stretch of arterial)? Or Sunset Blvd in Renton? Or Sunset Highway in Oregon?

The request seemed to imply Sunset Highway in Washington, in which the short Mercer Island stretch was a part because US 10 used to go through Renton before it was rerouted over the Mercer Island Floating Bridge.  He wants the information soon, before he delivers his report Friday morning on 97.3 FM.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.