News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

The Great Interstate 238 Debate

Started by Voyager, January 20, 2009, 01:59:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Voyager

Nobody liked the Embarcadero Freeway to begin with. It was incredibly ugly.
Back From The Dead | AARoads Forum Original

Terry Shea

Quote from: aaroads on March 11, 2009, 11:19:17 PM
Quote from: deanej on March 09, 2009, 05:29:56 PM
I don't think a 4di number fits on signs.  Perhaps states could instead get to sign I-x00 routes as spurs in emergencies?

If one of the numbers is one, it can be done, ala Interstate H201.
You know I never though about this before until I just saw your post.  Why doesn't Hawaii have an Interstate H2O?  That would be a natural.   :spin:

Sorry for drifting off topic.  I couldn't help myself.

Sykotyk

I personally believe I-H201 to be completely absurd. If the state is going to have its own numbering convention, assuming it is the 4th such freeway (as it's not just a spur), it could've just been the H4.

And to drift into your topic, I wonder if any native calls it the "Interstate Water One".

Sykotyk

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

74/171FAN

QuoteI-99W! 
:-D :-D  I could see CA 99W in a strange way though or historic US 99W ;-)  Seriously CA 238 is fine for me or for four digits I-2380 :D
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Voyager

Back From The Dead | AARoads Forum Original

74/171FAN

To make everyone happy for those California residents that know it as I-238 and for those like us who think it should be an I-x80. ;-)
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

mapman

Are there any AASHTO rules that specifically forbid a four-digit interstate number?

Fcexpress80

The solution is simple.  Hawaii has a four alpha-numeric interstate.  Why not name it I-1080?

mrivera1

Hopefully this will work, but I posted a potential 4di Interstate 2380 shield on Flickr.  It looks like it would work, however, it would require some fixing to ensure that it isn't too disproportionate.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8359404@N02/3469774390/
Why did Caltrans kill the US highways?  If you're smart, you'll know where you're going.  Too bad we have too many stupid people, and yes, Miss Talking on Cell Phone While Cutting Across the Freeway to Make Her Exit at 85mph, I'm talking about you.

mightyace

It looks good to me.  But, would AASHTO buy it?
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Sykotyk

If H201 can work, 2380 can work.

Sykotyk

vdeane

Personally, I don't think saying "4dis are valid because Hawaii does it when you count the H as a digit" is a valid argument (especially when you count Alaska and Puerto Rico, especially since the latter could have 5dis were it to create spurs when you count digits like this).  There are plenty of ways to fix I-238 without resorting to 4dis.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Sykotyk

I just meant that the spacing on the sign would work. Plus, H201 is incredibly 'packed' onto the sign, at least the '2380' sign shown here seems to be rather legible.

Sykotyk

flowmotion

Hmm. On second thought, maybe "Twenty-Three Eighty" is too much of a mouthful. And that sign does look crowded.

I still think 4dis could work for more compact numbers like say I-1080 or I-1180. The SF Bay Area is in a somewhat unique situation because it's a major metropolitan area with only one 2DI, and we could use some more I routes.

Sykotyk

I was looking at this yesterday (I was in San Jose).

Three suggestions:

1. Renumber I-280 as a continuation of I-680. And then make I-238 into I-280.
2. Relabel I-238 as I-380. That way the west and east side of the bay would have one (slightly non-conventional)
3. Remove the I-238 shield, and put up green "TRUCK I-580" (US 19 north of Pittsburgh has a Truck 19 route.

Anyways, the first one makes the most sense. Why wasn't I-280 part of I-680? They have a direct right-of-way into eachother at the 101.

Sykotyk

74/171FAN

QuoteI was looking at this yesterday (I was in San Jose).

Three suggestions:

1. Renumber I-280 as a continuation of I-680. And then make I-238 into I-280.
2. Relabel I-238 as I-380. That way the west and east side of the bay would have one (slightly non-conventional)
3. Remove the I-238 shield, and put up green "TRUCK I-580" (US 19 north of Pittsburgh has a Truck 19 route.

Anyways, the first one makes the most sense. Why wasn't I-280 part of I-680? They have a direct right-of-way into eachother at the 101.

Sykotyk
Making it "TRUCK I-580" would probably confuse people over there.  I'd still prefer CA 238(unsigned I-480) or the infamous I-2380.  Also Truck US Routes exist all over the place but a Truck interstate would also probably not receive federal funding like an interstate business loop(that's why I-40 was put back on its former alignment through Greensboro

TheStranger

Sykotyk: I-280 and I-680 are seperate numbered routes for the same reason I-494 and I-694 are in Minneapolis/St. Paul - elongated beltway that doesn't form a perfect circle/square but rather two loops each using the same cardinal direction.

Had the original plans for I-280 (the Route 1 Junipero Serra Freeway extension from Font Boulevard north to Golden Gate Park, and then north to the Presidio where it would follow the existing Route 1 tunnels to US 101) been completed, it would have had a second similar intersection, with I-480 at the Route 1/US 101 junction.  (US 101 east of Route 1 was slated to be I-480)  This is more similar to I-495 and I-195 ending at each other in Massachussetts, however.
Chris Sampang

Sykotyk

I understand, but if an exception could be made to allow "I-238", wouldn't the easier exception be to simply allow I-280 to be labeled as I-680 (or vice versa).

Sykotyk

TheStranger

Sykotyk:  Condensing previous thoughts on the matter...

- 280 and 680 do not form a ciruclar beltway around the bay area, but two equal halves of a "paperclip," with no east-west segment for 680, and a very brief one (from 101 to 85) for 280
- Only one existing route (Route 70) has a directional change as far as I know, though Route 18 technically would be in the same manner.  California generally wants a single route number to go in one plane (north-south or east-west)
- If 280/680 were to receive one #, the anomaly of two seperate exits for two "I-280 North" routings (or "I-680 north") at US 101 would be extremely confusing
Chris Sampang

agentsteel53

how about we make 80/280/680 all I-80.

if I-64 can start in a circular loop, so can I-80.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

TheStranger

Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 22, 2009, 04:58:36 PM
how about we make 80/280/680 all I-80.

if I-64 can start in a circular loop, so can I-80.

Ironically...

Had the plans for the Junipero Serra Freeway's north end ever been completed in San Francisco - as well as the Western Freeway - I-80 would have ended at Route 1/I-280 (and potentially I-480) in Golden Gate Park!
Chris Sampang

Hellfighter

I have a simple solution...I-1!?

AZDude

Scott5114

I do hereby propose that it be resigned as Interstate Ã....
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.