News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Texarkana (Future I-49, I-69 Spur)

Started by Grzrd, August 19, 2010, 11:13:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

codyg1985

Google Maps has updated their 45 degree imagery around Texarkana. It shows more progress along future I-49 from Arkansas Blvd to US 59/71. It still isn't complete, though.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

US71

Quote from: codyg1985 on February 27, 2013, 08:16:31 AM
Google Maps has updated their 45 degree imagery around Texarkana. It shows more progress along future I-49 from Arkansas Blvd to US 59/71. It still isn't complete, though.

I may be down that way in a couple weeks, so I'll try to get a field update.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Gordon

Interstate Construction Inc. is doing the dirt work for turning lanes On Hwy. 71 at the North ramps of the project. Still have signs to put up along the new section, and reworking the shoulders from hwy. 67 bridge to Arkansas Blvd.because water was seeping up in crack between the concrete lanes and the asphalt shoulders. Touching up the landscape at the interchange at Arkansas Bld. We have had a lot rainy days this month so I think it will be All of March to finish it. They are all but thru with Hwy 245 from Arkansas Blvd. to I 30, just cosmetic work on the ditches and grass area on the sides.

bugo

Are AR 245 and 549 going to duplex along the eastern part of the loop, or is 245 going to be discontinuous?  I think once they finish the connection to I-30 they should sign the whole loop as I-230.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on February 06, 2013, 02:31:32 PM
New overhead guide signs are being installed in the near future on the eastbound lanes of Interstate 30 between the Jefferson Avenue and Highway 245 exits and on the northbound and southbound lanes of Highway 245 between South State Line Avenue and Highway 549.  I assume the I-30 sign and the northbound Highway 245 sign are in regard to the new terrain AR 549 (Future I-49).  I don't know why they would need a new sign on southbound AR 245 (I think it's a little early for  "TO I-369" guidance).
Quote from: US71 on February 27, 2013, 08:24:31 AM
Quote from: codyg1985 on February 27, 2013, 08:16:31 AM

If you have time, please try and include a look at the new overhead signage.

bjrush

Quote from: US71 on February 27, 2013, 08:24:31 AM

Not sure if you still plan on heading down. I will be down there too next week
Woo Pig Sooie

Gordon

News from AHTD, more signs going up for new 549 project.                                                                                                               OVERHEAD SIGN INSTALLATION REQUIRES TEMPORARY LANE
CLOSURES ON INTERSTATE 30 IN MILLER COUNTY
LITTLE ROCK (3-7) -- Crews installing overhead signs will require temporary lane
closures next week in Miller County, according to Arkansas State Highway and
Transportation Department (AHTD) officials.
The work will begin Tuesday night, March 12th and conclude Friday morning, March 15th.
The areas affected will be on Interstate 30 between Highway 245 and Highway 108, east of
Texarkana. The project will require the westbound lanes to be closed for short intervals
not to exceed 10 minutes. The work will only take place between the hours of 11:00 p.m.
and 5:00 a.m., weather permitting.
Motorists should exercise caution when approaching and traveling through all highway
work zones.

Grzrd

Quote from: Gordon on May 31, 2012, 05:55:45 PM
LA. shows you can work on Bridges and the paving at the same time. It is a shame AR. can't do the same and finish their last 4 miles so they could both open up I49 from LA 1 to Texarkana in the spring of 2013.
(above quote from I49 in LA thread)

Louisiana will still have to wait on Arkansas at the state line, but the paving contract for those last four miles is scheduled to be let on April 17:

LA LINE-DODDRIDGE (BS. & SURF.) (S)
MILLER

I-49 in Arkansas all the way from Louisiana to Texas!

Also, a cable median barrier installation contract on the Texarkana 151 & 549 (Future I-49, including the new terrain section all the way to the Texas state line) Loop is scheduled to be let on April 17:

HWYS. 151 & 549 LOOP (TEXARKANA) (CABLE MEDIAN BARRIER) (S)
MILLER
151 & 549

Quote from: bugo on February 27, 2013, 07:05:10 PM
Are AR 245 and 549 going to duplex along the eastern part of the loop, or is 245 going to be discontinuous?  I think once they finish the connection to I-30 they should sign the whole loop as I-230.
Quote from: Grzrd on February 06, 2013, 02:31:32 PM
New overhead guide signs are being installed in the near future on ... the northbound and southbound lanes of Highway 245 between South State Line Avenue and Highway 549.  I assume the I-30 sign and the northbound Highway 245 sign are in regard to the new terrain AR 549 (Future I-49).  I don't know why they would need a new sign on southbound AR 245 (I think it's a little early for  "TO I-369" guidance).

In looking at the map on page 1 of the Plans for the cable median barrier project, it looks like the "southern part" of AR 245 has been redesignated as AR 151 in order to match TX 151, which in turn would explain the new overhead sign.  Any confirmation from the field?

edit - added below map:

codyg1985

^ They mistakenly labeled those ar US 151 and US 549 on their cover sheet.

When I was there at the beginning of March I didn't see any signs that mentioned AR 151.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

ShawnP

That paving contract makes ya smile doesn't it. Decades in the making but I-49 is so close to being done from North of Texarkana to Shreveport plus plans for going thru Shreveport. Now the slow, slow part of things north of Texarkana and south of Lafeyette. Wish I-49 south would be speeded up to help get more folks out of Hurricanes way.

Gordon

In the Plans for base & surface job for bid 03013, I don't see signs for new road. Maybe they are holding those out for I-49 signs instead of 459. At least at the louisiana border and existing 71 hwy intersection would have signs either 549 or I-49.

O Tamandua

Quote from: ShawnP on March 19, 2013, 07:09:05 PM
That paving contract makes ya smile doesn't it. Decades in the making but I-49 is so close to being done from North of Texarkana to Shreveport plus plans for going thru Shreveport. Now the slow, slow part of things north of Texarkana and south of Lafeyette. Wish I-49 south would be speeded up to help get more folks out of Hurricanes way.

If it's been said here forgive me but...when I-49 Shreveport/Texarkana is complete, what will be the average drive time between the two (as opposed to what it has been on U.S. 71, which as I recall is more than an hour?).  Funny that these two cities so often mentioned together (the TV market in Arbitron used to be called "Shreveport/Texarkana") are in adjacent counties but each county being narrow and tall, with TXK at the top of Miller (AR) and SHV near the bottom of Caddo (LA).

US71

Quote from: O Tamandua on March 24, 2013, 09:49:27 AM
Quote from: ShawnP on March 19, 2013, 07:09:05 PM

If it's been said here forgive me but...when I-49 Shreveport/Texarkana is complete, what will be the average drive time between the two (as opposed to what it has been on U.S. 71, which as I recall is more than an hour?).  Funny that these two cities so often mentioned together (the TV market in Arbitron used to be called "Shreveport/Texarkana") are in adjacent counties but each county being narrow and tall, with TXK at the top of Miller (AR) and SHV near the bottom of Caddo (LA).

It's roughly 75 miles, so my guess is about an hour (currently about 1:20 to 1:30 depending on traffic)

bassoon1986

I could see the I-49 portion in Louisiana also being signed at 75 mph. Although there's probably a good bit more traffic than 49 south of Shreveport, it's just as desolate until you reach Texarkana.

US71

Quote from: bassoon1986 on March 26, 2013, 12:22:04 PM
I could see the I-49 portion in Louisiana also being signed at 75 mph. Although there's probably a good bit more traffic than 49 south of Shreveport, it's just as desolate until you reach Texarkana.

49 already is 75 MPH once you get out of Alexandria, but it drops to 60 once you get close to Shreveport

bassoon1986

Right. I mean the new section north of I-220 when it's done.

US71

Quote from: bassoon1986 on March 26, 2013, 12:32:52 PM
Right. I mean the new section north of I-220 when it's done.

Understood. I merely meant to point out there is precedence ;)

O Tamandua

Thanks for the Texarkana - Shreveport drive time answer, U.S. 71. 

roadman65

I was at the I-49 construction between Shreveport and the AR State Line back in September of 12.  I have some really cool photos to share and will have them up on my flickr page real soon.  You guys might find them interesting as the bridges over some of the local roads are in the girder laying stage at the time so you could imagine now they are completed.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Gordon

More signs going on I 30 for 549.                                                                                                                          OVERHEAD SIGN INSTALLATIONS REQUIRE TEMPORARY LANE
LITTLE ROCK (4-5) — Crews installing overhead signs on Interstate 30 will require
temporary lane closures next week in Miller County, according to Arkansas State Highway
and Transportation Department (AHTD) officials.
The work will begin Tuesday night, April 9th and concludes Friday morning, April 12th. The
work will only take place between the hours of 11:00 p.m. and 5:00 a.m., weather
permitting. The area affected will be on Interstate 30 between Jefferson Avenue and
Highway 108, east of Texarkana. The project will require the eastbound and westbound
lanes to be closed for short intervals not to exceed 10 minutes.
Motorists should exercise caution when approaching and traveling through all highway
work zones. Additional travel information can be found at ArkansasHighways.com. You
can also follow us on Twitter @AHTD.
#

US71

Quote from: Gordon on April 08, 2013, 06:00:18 PM
More signs going on I 30 for 549.                                                                                                                          OVERHEAD SIGN INSTALLATIONS REQUIRE TEMPORARY LANE
LITTLE ROCK (4-5) — Crews installing overhead signs on Interstate 30 will require
temporary lane closures next week in Miller County, according to Arkansas State Highway
The work will begin Tuesday night, April 9th and concludes Friday morning, April 12th. The
work will only take place between the hours of 11:00 p.m. and 5:00 a.m., weather
permitting. The area affected will be on Interstate 30 between Jefferson Avenue and
Highway 108, east of Texarkana. The project will require the eastbound and westbound
work zones. Additional travel information can be found at ArkansasHighways.com. You
#

Probably also means the last of the button copy is coming down :(

bassoon1986

Quote from: US71 on April 11, 2013, 10:14:13 AM
#

Oh that's right!!  Wasn't it at the Jefferson exit?

US71

Quote from: bassoon1986 on April 11, 2013, 12:44:15 PM
Quote from: US71 on April 11, 2013, 10:14:13 AM
#

Oh that's right!!  Wasn't it at the Jefferson exit?

WB I-30 there's a Texarkana Next 6 Exits

There are a couple signs for AR 245 and at least one for Jefferson Ave, plus at least one EXIT sign

I tried to get a few photos last month, but traffic was too heavy to stop and the drive-bys didn't come put well :(

apjung

Google Maps now has the whole completed section of 549 also labeled as I-49!
http://goo.gl/maps/6F9kK

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.