News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Texarkana (Future I-49, I-69 Spur)

Started by Grzrd, August 19, 2010, 11:13:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AHTD

We received a request to post links to these documents in this thread.

FEIS: U.S. 71 - Texarkana to DeQueen and the Texarkana Northern Loop (90.4mb)
http://www.arkansashighways.com/forums/FEIS_U.S.71_TXK-DeQueen_and_TXK_North_Loop.pdf

FEIS: U.S. 71 - Texarkana to DeQueen and the Texarkana Northern Loop APPENDIX (100mb)
http://www.arkansashighways.com/forums/FEIS_U.S.71_TXK-DeQueen_and_TXK_North_Loop_(appendix).pdf

Enjoy!
Travel and construction information available at www.idrivearkansas.com

Gordon

AHTD, the last section between I 49 North LA. state line And Hwy 549 will be complete sometime this Summer. Will the Approval of designating of I 49 in Arkansas be in time to be signed as such? Have any updates on how that is going?

Grzrd

Quote from: bugo on October 21, 2013, 02:19:01 AM
Quote from: Grzrd on August 07, 2012, 04:26:30 PM
Quote from: bugo on June 19, 2012, 02:58:40 PM
This is probably the only Arkansas I-49 shield, and likely the first one ever made
(above quote from I-49 Coming to Missouri thread)
(above quote from I-49 in AR (Bella Vista, Fort Smith) thread)
Quote from: Alps on February 19, 2014, 06:41:25 PM
Quote from: AHTD on February 19, 2014, 05:46:31 PM
We are moving away from including the state name on ground-level Interstate route markers. Signs in this area that were installed incorrectly (wrong version of sign) will be removed and replaced with the correct version.
No! Please continue to include the state name! Texas has just started doing it - it reminds people what state they're in... plus we love it!
Quote from: NE2 on February 19, 2014, 06:55:06 PM
You might be an anal roadgeek if...
(bottom two quotes from I-540 Signage (ATTN AHTD) thread)
Quote from: Gordon on February 19, 2014, 10:48:05 AM
AHTD, the last section between I 49 North LA. state line And Hwy 549 will be complete sometime this Summer. Will the Approval of designating of I 49 in Arkansas be in time to be signed as such? Have any updates on how that is going?

AHTD, can you talk to the powers that be about tossing a bone to anal roadgeeks (as well as Arkansas Texarkanans) and see if, since Texas proudly displays its state name on the Texarkana I-369 shields, "Arkansas" I-49 shields can be installed for the SW Arkansas I-49 signage contract in order to show a little Arkansas state pride?  :wave:

AHTD

Gordon-

We are still working on the application to FHWA to request the re-designation. If the last bit is complete before then, it will be signed SH 549. We will not open this last segment until Louisiana is at the line, otherwise it's a road that abruptly stops with nowhere to turn around.

US71

Quote from: AHTD on February 23, 2014, 12:57:51 AM

Gordon-

We are still working on the application to FHWA to request the re-designation. If the last bit is complete before then, it will be signed SH 549. We will not open this last segment until Louisiana is at the line, otherwise it's a road that abruptly stops with nowhere to turn around.

I thought Louisiana has already finished at the state line?
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

AHTD

Not sure where they are at this time. There is some part of the Shreveport to the state line that is still under construction too. Perhaps it's all wrapped up now?

bassoon1986

I-49 in north Louisiana is open from LA 1 in north Shreveport to US 71 just south of Hosston. The section from there north to AR state line has been completed but will not be open to traffic until Arkansas completed the last segment from Doddridge southward. Supposedly, we've heard on the forum that I-49 from US 71 in Hosston north to LA 168 in Ida, LA may be/will be open to local traffic only until the state line sections are complete and open but we've not confirmed it yet.

Someone feel free to find that news article hinting at the Hosston-Ida section opening soon. It's cumbersome to search and copy paste from my phone...

US71

http://www.dotd.la.gov/administration/public_info/projects/i49north/

Progress on I-49 North:

Right-of-way purchase and utility relocation have been completed for all sections
    Construction Completion Schedules
        Arkansas state line to La. 168, Segment A — Near Completion
        La 168 to Mira-Myrtis Road, Segment B — Near Complection
        Mira-Myrtis Road to La 2, Segment C — Near Completion
        La 2 to U.S. 71, Segment D — Near Completion
        La. 170 to U.S. 71, Segment E — Open to traffic
        La. 530 to La. 170, Segment F — Open to traffic
        La 530 to La 169, Segment G — Open to traffic
        La. 173 to La. 169, Segment H — Open to traffic
        La. 1 to La. 173, Segment I — Open to traffic
        I-220 to La. 1, Segment J - Estimated completion: Fall 2015
        I-220 to La. 1, Segment K - Estimated completion: 2016/2017

From what I have seen,  Sections B, C, and D are finished except for signage...possibly Section A as well.  Satellite views seem to indicate A, B, C, and D have all been completed.

Parts of the of the Arkansas segment south of Doddridge are in the process of being paved. When I was through there last November, it appeared like the SB lanes had been paved, but no shoulder in place yet.

Miller County 4 at I-49

Grzrd

Quote from: AHTD on January 15, 2014, 03:34:11 PM
Quote from: Grzrd on January 14, 2014, 06:20:14 PM
Quote from: AHTD on January 13, 2014, 05:27:54 PM
Currently we are working with the FHWA local division office to formally submit the application to that agency. We submitted an initial application to the local division office late last year and continue to work with this office to finalize the document. Essentially, the local division office is helping to guide AHTD through the application process.
Does the application include a request for FHWA to make a determination as to whether I-540 north of I-40 and AR 549 meet current interstate standards?  Or, is it simply a numbering redesignation request?
The oldest parts of State Highway 549 were constructed recently enough to be in compliance with current standards, so it's good to go. We are in the process of paving the remaining 4.5 miles of this route from Doddridge to the Louisiana State Line and current estimates are that it will be completed in mid-2014.
Quote from: AHTD on February 23, 2014, 12:57:51 AM
Quote from: AHTD on February 24, 2014, 11:21:14 PM
Not sure where they are at this time. There is some part of the Shreveport to the state line that is still under construction too. Perhaps it's all wrapped up now?

As recently posted in the I49 in LA thread, as of Saturday, March 1, Louisiana will be ready and waiting for Arkansas to finish its last section.

If your application drags out because of the I-540 section, why not go ahead and do a quick, separate application for the SW Arkansas AR 549 section that will give FHWA sufficient time to consider it before the state line section opens?  Otherwise, AHTD would be wasting money on completely unnecessary AR 549 signage.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on November 25, 2013, 11:23:14 AM
Quote from: Grzrd on November 05, 2013, 05:13:09 PM
This Oct. 31 Texarkana Gazette article (behind paywall) reports on a Texarkana Chamber of Commerce official mentioning the possibility of an I-49/I-(3)69 interchange in the Texarkana area, as well as the possibility of Texarkana becoming a major distribution hub
This November 25 Texarkana Gazette article (behind paywall) reports on comments by I-49 International Coalition President Curt Green that the completion of I-49 through Arkansas is needed for safety reasons and that the combination of I-49 and I-(3)69 will bring a lot of goods through Texarkana

This Arkansas Business article discusses I-49 and I-369 in Texarkana and suggests that progress on I-369 may spur some action from Arkansas on the Fort Smith-to-Texarkana section of I-49:

it's the sizable gap between Texarkana and Fort Smith through the Ouachita Mountains that remains the biggest hurdle to clear before I-49 can become a non-stop fast-track through the nation's middle.
While the U.S. Department of Transportation and the Arkansas Highway & Transportation Department have long-term plans in place to finish the approximately 170-mile section, a new interstate has made a surprise appearance in Texarkana (if anything in the slow-motion world of road-building could be described as a "surprise"  in the first place.) This new development could shift progress on I-49 into a higher gear ....
While I-69 has been sketched, adjusted and inspected since the days when Bill Clinton was president, recent years have seen the state of Texas hitting the acceleration pedal on the project, at least within its own borders. This has brought the highway to Texarkana's door.
The Alliance for I-69 in Texas is well-aware that its namesake interstate is nicknamed "The NAFTA Highway"  for its goal of connecting Canada with Mexico through the North American Free Trade Agreement. However, the Texans see their ports along the Gulf Coast and in Houston rising in importance once another project south of the border is completed. However, this project is even further south than Mexico — the Panama Canal ....
From Houston along its Gulf Coast, highways are being transformed into components of Interstate 69. The state is rallying hard, re-signing and redesignating over a thousand miles of interstate-standard highways in Texas to the I-69 route. These include spurs and connectors with names like I-69E, I-69C, I-69W and I-369.
Interstate 369 is what what will connect Texarkana with this increased number of imports due to appear in the region within the next decade.
Taking over what is now U.S. 59, I-369 will be a 115-mile spur reaching down from Texarkana to the vicinity of where the planned I-69 will cross into Texas southwest of Shreveport. The I-369 signs are already up around Texarkana and even online mapping sites display the designation.

Of course, if AHTD does not have any money ............

Revive 755

^ I-69W?  Did I miss something about another split section of I-69, or is there some bad info out there regarding the three legs connecting to Mexico?

jbnv

Probably just inertia on the part of the writer.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

Grzrd

Quote from: US71 on February 05, 2014, 07:21:37 PM
SB 549 at 151

NB 549 at 151

As an aside, it's strange that the "thru" highway (549) exits.  I wonder if AHTD will ever change this?
Quote from: AHTD on March 27, 2014, 05:59:11 PM
And speaking of I-49....
The local FHWA Division Office approved our application for submittal to the FHWA in Washington, D.C.
This is not an approval of our request, only an authorization to proceed with official submittal to FHWA. This happened in the last week or so.
(bottom quote from Arkansas State Highway 245 Removed from System thread)

AHTD, with the upcoming redesignation of AR 549 to I-49, I-49 will need to replace AR 549 on the above two signs.  To follow up on US71's question, does AHTD intend to make I-49 the "through" route when these signs are replaced?

Also, on the NB sign, does AHTD intend to include "TO I-369" as the route for Dallas?*

Similarly, on the SB sign, does AHTD intend to add "TO Dallas" to "TO Houston"?  If so, is there an intent to add I-369 to the sign (I understand that significant SB traffic will probably be coming from westbound I-30 traffic at that point and adding Dallas may not be considered necessary)?

* edit

Also on the NB sign, shouldn't Fort Smith (or possibly Texarkana) be the control city for "through" I-49 in addition to Little Rock for "TO I-30"?

mcdonaat

That just startles me, though, seeing US 59 as Houston and Dallas as control cities. You have Marshall, Carthage, Nacogdoches, Lufkin... I'm sure that not much traffic would be using US 59 to get to Dallas, instead of I-30 to Dallas. I can understand Shreveport since it's the next decent sized city along I-49, but it would be like having Baton Rouge and New Orleans instead of Shreveport.

Anthony_JK

Quote from: mcdonaat on April 02, 2014, 12:04:37 AM
That just startles me, though, seeing US 59 as Houston and Dallas as control cities. You have Marshall, Carthage, Nacogdoches, Lufkin... I'm sure that not much traffic would be using US 59 to get to Dallas, instead of I-30 to Dallas. I can understand Shreveport since it's the next decent sized city along I-49, but it would be like having Baton Rouge and New Orleans instead of Shreveport.

It's a bit confusing, I'll admit, but I think "Dallas" is included because AR 151/TX 151 goes ultimately to I-30 West; and the "TO US 59" is there for traffic bound for Houston (even though they could have also used Nacogoches or Lufkin just as well.

If it was my druthers, I'd plant an AR 151 shield on that BGS and sign it this way:

AR 151 (TO US 59/I-30)Texarkana Loop/Dallas/Houston (for northbound traffic on AR 549/Future I-49)
AR 151 (TO US 59) Texarkana Loop/Houston (for southbound traffic on AR 549)

BTW...when I-49 does get finally approved for Shreveport/Texarkana, they're going to need a pretty big shield to cover up that massive AR 549 shield in that BGS...or, will they just replace the sign??

US71

Quote from: Anthony_JK on April 02, 2014, 01:40:29 AM
Quote from: mcdonaat on April 02, 2014, 12:04:37 AM

It's a bit confusing, I'll admit, but I think "Dallas" is included because AR 151/TX 151 goes ultimately to I-30 West; and the "TO US 59" is there for traffic bound for Houston (even though they could have also used Nacogoches or Lufkin just as well.

If it was my druthers, I'd plant an AR 151 shield on that BGS and sign it this way:

AR 151 (TO US 59/I-30)Texarkana Loop/Dallas/Houston (for northbound traffic on AR 549/Future I-49)
AR 151 (TO US 59) Texarkana Loop/Houston (for southbound traffic on AR 549)

BTW...when I-49 does get finally approved for Shreveport/Texarkana, they're going to need a pretty big shield to cover up that massive AR 549 shield in that BGS...or, will they just replace the sign??

I wonder if the shield itself can be replaced (though you may have a ghost image) ?

apjung

Has 549 been officially signed as I-49? I see it on Wikipedia but don't see it searching thru news.google.com.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_49#Arkansas

US71

Quote from: apjung on April 03, 2014, 03:52:45 AM
Has 549 been officially signed as I-49? I see it on Wikipedia but don't see it searching thru news.google.com.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_49#Arkansas

As of March 17th, no.

AHTD

The request for I-49 designation in Arkansas has been submitted to the FHWA. We will post relevant documents in this thread as well as the thread for the Northwest Arkansas area.

Application Submitted to AASHTO (09-09-13)
http://www.arkansashighways.com/forums/I-49-Request-AASHTO.pdf

Application Submitted to FHWA for I-49 in Northwest Arkansas (02-03-14)
http://www.arkansashighways.com/forums/I-49-Request-north.pdf

Application Submitted to FHWA for I-49 in Southwest Arkansas (03-31-14)
http://www.arkansashighways.com/forums/I-49-Request-south.pdf

rickmastfan67

You know AHTD, have you ever submitted a request to eliminate the 'Future I-130' designation on AR-549 that you requested back in 2000 and had approved by the AASHTO between I-30 and US-71 since you now have I-49 there (per AASHTO approval)?

Don't know if you ever submitted this to the FHWA, but eliminating it w/ the AASHTO and FHWA might be a wise idea as well. ;) :wave:

Grzrd

Quote from: AHTD on April 16, 2014, 12:16:08 PM
ARKANSAS RECEIVES APPROVAL FOR I-49 ROUTE DESIGNATION

It's official!

We received approval from FHWA for a new Interstate in Arkansas. Here are a few facts: ....
New exit numbers for the ENTIRE I-49 corridor in Arkansas have already been logged, however these will not be signed until after the I-49 route has been approved and opened to traffic from U.S. Highway 71 North of Texarkana to the Louisiana state line.

AHTD, since the new exit numbers have already been logged, can you tell us the calculated exact mileage for I-49 in Texas?

edit

Quote from: AHTD on April 16, 2014, 02:29:47 PM
Although we don't have a final alignment yet for the section between Ft. Smith and Texarkana, we made our best guess at what those mileposts and exits will be north of I-40. There may have to be adjustments in the future

Or, in the alternative, what was your best guess for the I-49 Texas mileage?

AHTD

You bet!

Here is the proposed logging of the entire I-49 corridor in Arkansas (and Texas).
http://www.arkansashighways.com/forums/I-49-Proposed-Mileage.pdf

Proposed exit numbering from the Louisiana State Line (through Texas) and to the Polk County, Arkansas line:
http://www.arkansashighways.com/forums/I-49_Exits_1.pdf

Proposed exit numbering from the Polk County line to the Ft. Chaffee area:
http://www.arkansashighways.com/forums/I-49_Exits_2.pdf

Proposed exit numbering from the Ft. Chaffee area to the Missouri State Line:
http://www.arkansashighways.com/forums/I-49_Exits_3.pdf

Please understand this is all PROPOSED and is subject to a tweak every now and then.

US71

Quote from: AHTD on April 17, 2014, 05:14:15 PM
You bet!

Here is the proposed logging of the entire I-49 corridor in Arkansas (and Texas).

Proposed exit numbering from the Louisiana State Line (through Texas) and to the Polk County, Arkansas line:

Proposed exit numbering from the Polk County line to the Ft. Chaffee area:
http://www.arkansashighways.com/forums/I-49_Exits_2.pdf

Proposed exit numbering from the Ft. Chaffee area to the Missouri State Line:
http://www.arkansashighways.com/forums/I-49_Exits_3.pdf

Please understand this is all PROPOSED and is subject to a tweak every now and then.

Most excellent! :)

Road Hog

The in-state mileage of I-49 is very, very close to the mileage of I-40 from Dora to Memphis (284.69 miles). That will make I-49 the longest interstate in Arkansas when complete. I-40 will still be longer in terms of uninterrupted in-state mileage.

Post Merge: April 17, 2014, 09:01:59 PM

If (yuck) I-30 is extended to the Missouri line, the total miles from Texarkana to north of Corning is approximately 315 miles if the route closely follows US 67, which would make I-30 the longest in the state. But this should be I-57 north of I-40.

US71

Quote from: AHTD on April 17, 2014, 05:14:15 PM

I can almost pick out some of the major roadways. Exit 84, for example, appears to be US 59/70/71 east of DeQueen and Exit 60 seems to line up with AR 108 north of Ashdown.  However, it appears there is (at least for now) no exit planned for Lockesburg?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.