News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Summer 2017 road trips

Started by noelbotevera, July 13, 2016, 10:42:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothman

My summer plans changed more than a bit.

Still headed out to SLC and Portland, but Yosemite is out of the cards.  Going to still head down the coast, but only going as far as northern California before turning back.

New addition is a nine-day road trip to the Florida Keys by way of Charleston, SC and Savannah, GA...in August.  Timing could be better, but what are you gonna do.

November will be a trip to Nashville over Veterans' Day weekend.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

D-Dey65

I'm still planning for my second NYC Metro Area trip for November myself.

leroys73

Last summer had good plans but in August a broken leg stopped me in the middle of one road trip.  So this summer i may have to catch up.

The family is going on a real vacation to The Dells in Wisconsin during August.  In July I will take my daughter and granddaughter to Florida to help out with my ageing aunt. 

My trips will run well into the fall.  I have some maybe, or probable, motorcycle trips on the calendar such as Beartooth Pass, ride the roads in Arkansas, a trip to Ohio to visit another aging aunt, and one along the Natchaz Trace then over to North Carolina.  Even Key West is in the mix.  So surely a couple of them will turn out. 
'73 Vette, '72 Monte Carlo, ;11 Green with Envy Challenger R/T,Ram, RoyalStarVenture S,USA Honda VTX1300R ridden 49states &11provinces,Driven cars in50 states+DC&21countries,OverseasBrats;IronButt:MileEatersilver,SS1000Gold,SS3000,3xSS2000,18xSS1000, 3TX1000,6BB1500,NPT,LakeSuperiorCircleTour

MNHighwayMan

I'm taking a trip to Missouri or southern Illinois so I can see the solar eclipse in totality on August 21, but other than that I don't have anything major planned. There'll probably be some more shorter, spur-of-the-moment trips in between now and then but that's the major one I have lined up.

Roadgeekteen

I might be going to Acadia or upstate New York.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

leroys73

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 28, 2017, 07:54:53 PM

I hope you get to go as it will be a great trip.
'73 Vette, '72 Monte Carlo, ;11 Green with Envy Challenger R/T,Ram, RoyalStarVenture S,USA Honda VTX1300R ridden 49states &11provinces,Driven cars in50 states+DC&21countries,OverseasBrats;IronButt:MileEatersilver,SS1000Gold,SS3000,3xSS2000,18xSS1000, 3TX1000,6BB1500,NPT,LakeSuperiorCircleTour

golden eagle

I took a road trip to Williamsburg, Virginia (been here since last Saturday) and heading back home tomorrow. I also went on a day trip to the District of Columbia and had a blast. Other than a possible trip to Nashville in July, I have no other summer trips planned.

I was able to clinch I-85 in its entirety, and added I-95, I-64 and I-295 to the list of interstates I've personally driven.

hbelkins

I'm looking at trying to go clinch some of the West Virginia state highways I'd planned to get on what was to be an extended trip to the New River Gorge for the meet that I couldn't attend because I fell ill. I also want go back out to western Kentucky to scout a possible meet centered on the conversion of the Purchase Parkway to I-69 and the US 68/KY 80 bridges across the lakes.

And I'm planning to go to Minnesota for the meet there in August.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

MNHighwayMan

In July I'm going up to Duluth (MN) to visit my aunt. My secondary objective (actually primary, but who wants to admit that over family? :spin:) is to get pictures of Duluth area highways, like the end of I-35/MN-61, I-535/US-53, and MN-194.

I'm also going on a trip southward to see the totality of the solar eclipse in August, but I'm not sure where I'm precisely going yet. I don't think that's going to be decided until the few days beforehand to ensure good weather.

Edit to add: I would've loved to have gone to that road meet in Minnesota, but with those two trips, combined with other outside factors, means that I'm gonna have to skip it.

I-90

Going to Omaha ne then going to the badlands and mt rushmore

JJBers

I'm going to northern Vermont some time in the next month. I'll be able to nearly clinch I-91 and I-89.
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,
(2di:I-24, I-76, I-80, I-84, I-95 [ME-GA], I-91)

Takumi

Probably a trip to Nags Head. I said this last year, but injured my back the week before and couldn't drive for long distances for awhile.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

TheHighwayMan3561

Hopefully to New England in August. I'm still hashing out most of the details, but I've resolved after 10 years to get back there.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Great Lakes Roads

June:

• Drive to Erie, PA for my cousin's graduation party
  • Going to Indianapolis??

July:

• Going to Iceland
  • Mission trip up in Minnesota (Red Lake Nations to be exact).  Afterwards, heading to Duluth, then drive through the UP in Michigan.

August:

• Heading to Columbus then Dayton, OH...
  • Tour of the Indiana Toll Road's Command Center in Granger, IN...

JJBers

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on June 10, 2017, 02:54:25 AM
Hopefully to New England in August. I'm still hashing out most of the details, but I've resolved after 10 years to get back there.
Where in New England?
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,

7/8

Should this thread be merged with the other one? https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=18347.0

Anyway, I have two trips planned this summer.

For Canada Day weekend, I'm ironically heading down to the U.S. (Indianapolis) with a friend for a Pokemon TCG tournament. I plan on avoiding the "fort-to-port" route in order to get new counties and interstate mileage. I'm not sure yet if we'll have time to see the city, but at least I've been to Indianapolis once before (two years ago), so it won't be the end of the world if we're too busy.

In August and September (before Labour Day), my family plans on driving to Orlando to spend a few days in Disney World/Universal Studios. We're also thinking of seeing Nashville and Atlanta on the way down (both cities for the first time). I'm hoping to see the eclipse in Nashville (finger-crossed that it won't be cloudy!). We still have lots to plan for this, but it's already looking like I'll get a lot of new counties and road mileage, and Tennessee will be a new state for me :thumbsup:

golden eagle

Quote from: 7/8 on June 11, 2017, 06:25:48 PM
Should this thread be merged with the other one? https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=18347.0

Anyway, I have two trips planned this summer.

For Canada Day weekend, I'm ironically heading down to the U.S. (Indianapolis) with a friend for a Pokemon TCG tournament. I plan on avoiding the "fort-to-port" route in order to get new counties and interstate mileage. I'm not sure yet if we'll have time to see the city, but at least I've been to Indianapolis once before (two years ago), so it won't be the end of the world if we're too busy.

In August and September (before Labour Day), my family plans on driving to Orlando to spend a few days in Disney World/Universal Studios. We're also thinking of seeing Nashville and Atlanta on the way down (both cities for the first time). I'm hoping to see the eclipse in Nashville (finger-crossed that it won't be cloudy!). We still have lots to plan for this, but it's already looking like I'll get a lot of new counties and road mileage, and Tennessee will be a new state for me :thumbsup:

I initially posted this in the off-topics forum, but was moved here. If the mods want to merge it with the other thread, I'm fine with it.

JJBers

Quote from: JJBers on June 09, 2017, 10:25:06 PM
I'm going to northern Vermont some time in the next month. I'll be able to nearly clinch I-91 and I-89.
I'm leaving for Vermont on June 19th, and will be going very close to the Canadian border on I-91.
I also might be going to Atlanta in July.
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,

epzik8

Harford County, Maryland to Myrtle Beach next week. We'll take I-95 down to I-795 at Wilson, and then follow U.S. 117 to U.S. 701 to SC-9.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

jwolfer

I dont have vacation days yet... New job started this year... So a quick trip from Jacksonville to Savannah and Orlando is about all

LGMS428

epzik8

Quote from: epzik8 on June 16, 2017, 05:37:45 PM
Harford County, Maryland to Myrtle Beach next week. We'll take I-95 down to I-795 at Wilson, and then follow U.S. 117 to U.S. 701 to SC-9.
I'm leaving this morning! It'll be such a fun trip.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: leroys73 on May 29, 2017, 12:01:49 AM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 28, 2017, 07:54:53 PM

I hope you get to go as it will be a great trip.
Acadia is likely for August.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

JJBers

Quote from: JJBers on June 16, 2017, 08:26:38 AM
I'm leaving for Vermont on June 19th, and will be going very close to the Canadian border on I-91.
Vermont got delayed to today, so I just left...and I'm I-291 (CT) right now.
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: JJBers on June 25, 2017, 10:41:08 AM
How is the trip so far?

JJBers

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 25, 2017, 10:24:22 PM
Quote from: JJBers on June 25, 2017, 10:41:08 AM
How is the trip so far?
Well, I just got back about 2 hours ago...I only now have to drive on I-91 south of CT 150 to fully clinch it.
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.